Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Truthful Tuesday

So... I was going to wait until this particular purchase had arrived before sharing with all of you... But I have the patience of a hungry 2 year old so I'm just gonna tell you. I bought something last week, Friday actually. A sister for Rio! Yes you read that right. I bought a mare. I may regret this move in the future, but it seemed right. Everyone, meet Shiny:

She's a six year old welsh/quarter horse standing at 14.1. She's been to some schooling shows, but has no usef number which I'm actually fine with. I almost never change a registered name, but she comes with the name Sunshine, and I just can't. Not that it's a terrible name, but how many palominos do you know named Sunshine? Or Sunny? Most of them. Seriously. So I'm going to call her Shiny, and if she ever shows, it will be under the name 14 Karat.
Now for the true confession. I bought her off a video. Which I mean, we all know how that's worked for me in the past. But I have a good feeling about this one. Which also rarely pans out for me, but like someday that might change? Maybe today? Here's the story:
I had made an offer on another pony, but the people wanted to wait and see if they could get closer to the asking price. Whilst waiting I found an ADORABLE appy pony that is at a dressage barn, but also jumps. He looked SUPER fun, but I couldn't get the owner to call me or message me about him. And then I found Shiny. I was trying to find a time I could get down there with my dad to see her (she's in Maryland), and it wasn't really working out. There were several videos of her online. One with a tiny child jumping around a course on her, and several with a small adult riding her. She isn't quite auto with her lead changes, but she was honest to all of those jumps. She's a nice mover (not your hack winner, but not at all offensive) and jumps calmly. Over the trot jumps, she pretty much just literally trots over. Which is what I was looking for in a back yard pony. Rio and I don't need an overachiever.
I did some vetting of the trainer representing her, as I have a friend in the area, and she came with wonderful recommendations. So I felt confident that what I was being presented with was accurate. I also saw lots of people lining up to try her, and so I said to my dad, "would it be a terrible idea if we just bought her?" And he said, no, she's inexpensive, and we know plenty of trainers that can help if we need it. So I had her vetted, sent the x-rays to my vet, and now she's mine! But still in MD. Where they are located is not off the main I-95 thoroughfare so finding a shipper has been tricky. I do think I'll have her home by this weekend though. (Cross your crossables for me please!) I would go get her myself, but it's a five hour drive each way, and I don't really have that space in the schedule right now.
And that's today's confession! I got a new yellow horse that I bought basically sight unseen. I'm sure this will go just fine...

36 comments:

  1. Aahhh, so exciting! I'm in Maryland, but I'm super close to I-95 so I'm guessing she's not close to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I love mares. You might be pleasantly surprised :)

      Delete
    2. She's in Church Hill which is on the eastern shore of the bay. It seems shippers don't with to drive that direction!

      Delete
    3. Church Hill is where I bought my horse trailer. There is NOTHING there...it is between nowhere and nothing. THO the 301 road right near there is used for truckers it is just not many horse vans going that way. Congrats.

      Delete
    4. Funny - I bought my trailer over in Centreville. And yeah, it's pretty much no-man's land :(

      Delete
    5. That makes a lot of sense! I was really confused as to why no one would take the job.

      Delete
    6. Susan did you buy from Traveled Lane?

      Delete
    7. No, mine was a used trailer I bought privately. The lady had the cutest little farm in the avsoabso middle of nowhere.

      Delete
  2. OMG congrats!! she is so stinkin cute tho, i can't wait to see more of her!! also now i'm curious as to where in MD she is too haha, considering my whole #creepstar3000 side gig LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's in Church Hill, on the eastern shore of the bay. Apparently very out of the way for most of the commercial guys. Wanna ship a pony?!

      Delete
  3. Congrats!! She is super cute! Who wouldn't want a palomino pony? Agree with you on the name...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I've know a couple 14 Karats that showed - they were always chestnut though haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it wasn't terribly unique... But not as bad as Sunshine. And I almost went with 24 Karat, but then figured since she's 14 hands I should do 14 Karat.

      Delete
  5. Ahh I've been dying to see pics of what you ended up with! She is too cute and sounds like she's going to be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really wanting to share my own photos... but alas, she's not home yet.
      I can't wait for her to get here!

      Delete
  6. She’s really pretty. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Face it - you really only wanted the adult version of a Barbie horse...she is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SHE IS SOOOOO CUTE OMG! So so so happy for you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! She is super super cute! I never thought I'd own a mare but my girl is pretty awesome. I'm sure yours will be too. Can't wait to hear and see more about your adventures together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've had mares before, and well... they were never the perfect match. But you just never know!

      Delete