Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Truthful Tuesday

The one positive about not riding, is that hand walking takes up less time, so I have a bit more free time for doing things that have been shoved aside. Which leads to today's confession. I had really let my horses' appearances go as of late. I don't really trim the old men's whiskers and ears anymore. I know they are there for a reason (the whiskers anyway) and it's so cold, they appreciate the ear hair I'm sure. But I do like to try and keep their manes tidy at the very least. I did attempt to trim Eros' face a few weeks back. I had bought some new cordless clippers that I was REALLY excited about, (Wahl Cordless KM pro for those wondering) but alas, I got a defective pair. So I went out with good intentions but the trimming never happened. In summary, my horses were looking feral. I decided this weekend was the time to change that.
I started at the home barn with Jampy. His mane is a little ridiculous in both the before and after photos since it's on the wrong side. PLUS he has more cowlicks that I can handle, so it looks uneven even though it's not. #foreverferal
Next up was Rio. That horse grows hair faster than any I've ever known. (And no, surprisingly, no cushings! Just a hairy beast.)
I think I should have done more in the middle. He's got a little bit of a bowl cut happening... but it's definitely better than it was.
Last was Eros. His mane wasn't as bad to start, but also, my before picture is a little misleading. I forgot to take one before I started, so the "before" is actually after I had done some pulling.
His mane will definitely be a bear to braid. It's at least as thick as Jamp's. Maybe he should just be a jumper instead...
Anyway, they're all looking MUCH better now with their hair under control. Are you good at keeping them trimmed up in the winter? Or do you let them get a little feral too?

11 comments:

  1. Looking good! My little herd goes completely feral in the winter! lol I grew up with an appy with almost no mane, so now I love to let manes grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I feel that! My first horse was an appy too, and that's what I had to learn to braid on!

      Delete
    2. Mine didn't have enough to braid - it was a sad little Mohawk thing! lol

      I don't need to braid my beasts nowadays (one gets banded if he shows) so I save trims until they are needed.

      Delete
  2. feral feral feral. Remus mane is out of control his bridle path is longer than I have ever let it...and he has goat whiskers under his jowls. ehhhh one day (one 60 degree day maybe) I will fix him up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine didn't even have bridle paths anymore! It was rough.

      Delete
  3. Mine are looking feral. I didn't realize how bad Dexter's mane looked until a couple weeks ago. It's getting long (for him) but it's also extremely thin, so it just looks really crappy being at all long. The pony's bridle path is a mess. Her mane is au natural, but her bridlepath grows like a weed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, nothing worse than long and thin! Looks like ramen noodles. Haha!

      Delete
  4. It's raining all this week and finishing Dante's mane is on my list of to dos

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh will you come do my horse's mane next?!? it's an absolute disaster and i'm 100% pretending that we're jumpers who are into the long scissor-cut look.... considering i might actually have to braid this year for the first time ever, i'm already sliiiiighly panicky haha

    ReplyDelete