Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Truthful Tuesday: The one with the certainty

Trainer B who has Badger right now to help find him his person LOVES him so much. Like SO MUCH. She said I should come ride him because she thinks he's grown up a lot since I last sat on him. I think this is probably true since I haven't ridden him since January. He's had lots of different people on him which can only help a horse learn to accept more types of rides. She was kind of hoping I'd fall back in love with him. I was kind of hoping so too because he really is everything I could ever want in a hunter horse. And then some.
So Saturday morning, after braiding a tail, I headed north about an hour to ride Badger. He was out in his paddock when I got there (without bell boots... but I had that remedied before putting him back out after my ride). I think he remembered me because he came right over when I got there.
Still looks a little prego... Are all buckskins fat?
Badger is one of the itchiest horses I've known, even more so than Jamp, which may seem shocking, so I spent some time giving him a nice curry and grooming. Then I brought him down to the ring and got on. We walked around for a bit, and he didn't seem to be spooky anywhere. At trainer A's, he always had a spot he liked to spook in whether it was Florida or CT. I didn't sense that at Trainer B's. Maybe he was a new horse!
But while I was walking, I realized I was stalling. I wasn't really wanting to pick up the trot yet. Why? I'm not sure. Eventually I did. It was a lovely, bold trot. He was moving out great. He was soft in the contact. If I asked him to slow down he did. If I asked for more he gave it to me. But I wasn't ready for the canter. I went back to the walk for a lap of the ring. And I realized I was trying to build up the nerve to canter this horse. This horse who was being perfect.
Looks wild and out of control doesn't he?
 You guys. I'm afraid of Badger. He's not a horse you should be afraid of. He's not an especially forward thinker. His favorite gait is halt. And here I am, nervous to canter. To CANTER. Huh.
So eventually I did the thing. I'm pretty good at making myself do things I don't want to. I cantered the long side of the ring. He wanted to build. Probably to a nice canter because probably I wanted him to crawl around the ring. So I brought him back to the trot. Which was more forward. We trotted for awhile. Walked again for a bit. Eventually I made myself canter a little the other direction. It felt too fast to me. It wasn't. But I didn't like it.I brought him back to the trot and worked there for awhile until I felt he was listening to me and doing what I asked rather than what he wanted to do. And then I let him be done. I wasn't on very long.
I realized that the entire ride I was just waiting to be done. And THAT my friends is the story of how I knew I was making the right decision to sell Badger. He is everything I've ever wanted in a hunter. But he's not the one for me.

12 comments:

  1. I have never seen a skinny buckskin. Just saying :) HA ask me how I know. God he is beautiful Badger though. I wish you loved him too we could be buckskin twins (except your buckskin probably, I mean definitely, has a lot more talent than my buckskin)! Ha. I hope he finds his right person soon!! I am glad you rode him but sorry it didn't click!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree! I'm glad I solidified that I don't really want to ride him anymore. And he was a good boy so it wasn't like it was ending on a bad note.
      Also, agree, all buckskins must be chunko's!

      Delete
  2. I think it's a very smart decision to go with your gut on this, if he doesn't feel like the right horse (and you are anxious in the saddle) then he isn't for you. He will be lovely for someone else and you can find your perfect match :) I'm pushing through all my fear issues around riding Henry because before I broke my nose he was the only horse I've ever had fun jumping on and I want to get back to that... so we are slowly crawling towards that. But if my fears weren't improving I would definitely move on from him and give him a different home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree on all of this!
      And I think it's different for you. It's natural to be nervous after getting hurt. And it's worth working through that because you do enjoy Henry. I'm really confident you guys will get past that!

      Delete
  3. I think it's good you got another ride on him to see that even though he's matured, he's just not the one for you. That should make selling his beautiful (dad) bod easier. But maybe your next unicorn can be buckskin too? Because so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. It was nice closure. I had a good ride, and I disliked it enough to feel good about my decision.
      Ugh, right?! If I have two unicorns to choose from and one happens to be buckskin, it would probably win!

      Delete
  4. Makes me think of one of the first horses I tried while searching. He was beautiful (and chestnut) and he looked great on video but he made me so uncomfortable and nervous to ride. I probably would have been convinced to take him on trial because trainer liked him so much but on the same trip I tried one at another barn and loved him. Of course then he didn't pass vet.
    It all works out in the end. You will end up with your own unicorn and get back in the show ring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! What's meant to be will be. Hopefully it's all meant to be soon!

      Delete
  5. I relate to this SO MUCH. He's just not right for you, and while on paper it might sounds like perfection, if the feeling isn't right, it isn't right and nothing you do will make it so. Badger is lovely and will find his person and a great home and you'll find the one you're meant to be with <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Horses are a lot like boyfriends... you can't make them love you!

      Delete
  6. It's good to have clarifying moments like this so we don't second guess our decisions in the future/

    ReplyDelete