Wednesday, September 9, 2020

What's up Wednesday

 

It's hard to keep track of the days when they're mostly all the same, isn't it? Let's start off with the saddle trial, shall we? I really like how it fits Eros, but it does also bridge in one spot (just on the left side) on Pammon. But that's okay. It doesn't have to be perfect for both of them. Pammon can use the Hermes for now. For me, it's a decent fit. It's not perfect. The flaps are a bit too long, but I find it really comfortable and I think it will do what I need it to.

Too small Hermes on top, new to me Butet on bottom

Obviously, it hasn't fixed my position flaws... But I don't know of any saddle that will make me lift my hands. If that exists, please let me know! Ha!


It's nice having room for my butt in the saddle. Eros seems happy with it. Pammon hasn't felt the greatest this week. Is that due to my switching saddles? Is he off again? I don't know the answers to those questions. He felt a bit better this morning than he did on Tuesday, so hopefully he was just stiff from having Monday off. Who knows. I can't get worked up about such things anymore. Either he'll be sound some day or he won't. Right? But I digress... back to saddles. I have my second old Hermes up for sale along with my Voltaire. I posted on Facebook but had zero interest. 



I reached out to Redwood tack and got reasonable offers for both saddles, so I'm planning to pack them up this weekend and ship them off to her. Could I get more selling on my own? Probably. But I don't think I have the patience for it. This just seems easiest. I had thought she sold on consignment, but she actually buys them outright. Quick and easy.

Eros has been such a good boy of late that I let him try out his side pull bridle for the first time on Sunday. 

I didn't ride him bareback... I can't sit that spin without a saddle, so we're going to hold off on that. But he was great in the side pull and was rewarded with snacks after our ride.


I changed the course in the ring on Saturday.


I finally got brave enough to jump Shiny through a real combination. It's a trot in one to one, set on a real large pony 11' stride. I kept the jumps low since I'm a chicken, but it was super fun, and she was really good.


Our jump school certainly started out rough. We just aren't quite on the same page lately. But after several botched distances we did eventually get our acts together. Hopefully things are smoothing out, and we'll be back in sync soon. 



It's tough because the days are already getting short and since I ride Shiny second, it's usually dark for much of her ride. Thus, we can only jump on the weekends. Once a week isn't ideal when you're trying to get your groove back! But we do what we can. There's no rush anyway.
Sunday she got to have her play day. Bareback with a side pull. We did a little bit of trotting in the ring. and then spent the rest of our "ride" grazing.


The holiday Monday was wonderful. Life would be better with more three day weekends. I gave my helper the day off and did the barn chores myself that morning. It was so nice having two horses that actually enjoy being outside! I took my sweet time picking and re bedding the stalls. Scrubbed all the buckets. All while Shiny and Eros hung out outside, happy as can be.



Once chores were done, I took the short kids out to play for a bit.



It wasn't too hot, so they were happy to be out for awhile, too. But you know what I didn't do? I didn't do a single one of the many chores I should have done in the house. Not a one. It's a really good thing i live by myself! 

That's about it from here. How was your long weekend? Do anything fun? 

6 comments:

  1. You're right, life would be better with more three day weekends! 😁

    Looks like you had a good weekend full of horse time, which is clearly the best 😉 we rode one day and went to the river another - compromises lol. But that's probably the last time it'll be warm enough for the boat, which means more time for trail riding, yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to more trail riding!!!
      Looked like you had a great weekend too other than the tractor being a dud!

      Delete
  2. Maybe if there was an arm rest on the pommel that raised your hands up? :D I kid, I kid!

    I wish I had a saddle that would punch me in the face everytime I looked down lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I switched to 4 day work week every weekend is 3 days and I love it. You need lights in your ring to extend the riding time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is nice! Do you work 10 hour days? I'm not sure I could make that work for me...
      I do have lights, but they're motion lights and somehow the eye got moved. So they don't see us! I have to climb up there and fix them.

      Delete