Wednesday, April 26, 2023

What's Up Wednesday... the abbreviated version

 

Hi! Guys. I'm so tired. And I have like 8 million horses to braid starting tomorrow through Sunday morning. So this is going to be short and sweet. But also, there will be no Thursday's Threads tomorrow. But I'll be back with normal content starting next week. 

As for what's up this week? Everyone is good! Eros did his Thursday lesson outside last week, and jumped full courses with NO TORPEDOS! I was very proud. He did that lesson in the dee ring. He also did his Tuesday flat lesson in the dee ring... Guys, he was a turd for that lesson! I mean, it's Eros, so how bad could he be? But he was pulling SO HARD it was ridiculous. And at one point I completely lost the ability to steer. But we got it all done by the end. But he earned a ride in the two ring today. He was much more respectful in it, though I can't say he was happy. He can have the dee back for jumping tomorrow. 

Shiny's doing fine too. She was great in her lesson last week, jumping little courses. She did buck once and it was pretty hilarious. (As an aside... this is why I'm a terrible horse trainer. I laugh when she's bad instead of fixing it... oops.) Anyway, we were coming to the outside line which was a little gate to a cross rail. I think it was a horse four, but I wanted to get the pony five strides. Since the jumps were small, she needed to move along to get the single add. So I came out of the turn and put my leg on to move up a little to the nice distance I had seen. Well... instead of just doing what I asked, two strides out she lets out this huge buck, and then realizes how close the jump was and kind of buried herself to it. We still got the five though! Haha! We did go back and do it nicely one more time before the lesson ended. I think she realized she'd made a bit of an error that time before. Silly pony. 

And Al? Al's been good too! He wound up jumping only once last week, but that was my fault. I planned to jump Friday and Sunday, but when Sunday rolled around it was cold and rainy and everyone was indoors. I have zero interest in jumping him in there until I really have to next winter, so I opted out. Anyway, Friday though? He was great! We did a few lower courses, and then did one more set about 3'3" and he was a little machine! So proud of him! I knew this coming weekend will leave me useless with all the braiding, so I scheduled a lesson for today with Al, and will hopefully do the Friday one too. Today's felt like a real learning day. He came out spooky and kind of a jerk, but we started alone as our lesson mate was finishing up with the farrier. Once they joined us, Al was much better. And once he realized we were jumping, he was like a whole different animal. In the best way! We warmed up over a single jump a couple times each direction which was great. Then we did a roll top, bending line to a vertical, bending again to a little oxer. The first time, trainer hadn't walked out so she said to just ride it and see what we get. We both did five to five, but the second one was tight. So trainer walked it and said the second one should be a little direct and forward in four. The second time through, I still did five to five, but then figured it out better for the other times through. Then we did a little course which went well. But I have a habit when I'm feeling unsure of dropping back in the saddle and getting a little behind the vertical. I think my body is trying to push with my seat, but it's not really what happens because I kind of wind up backing him up. So trainer has me working on keeping that hip angle a little more closed. It's tough, because the other way has become a habit, but the last course we did I managed to not get drivey. And the jumps were all a pretty solid 3'3" so that felt great. I think things are coming together again, and I'm getting excited for the summer with him. 

I've been getting to ride a bunch of extras again this week. I'm pretty tired at the end of the day riding five horses most days, but I LOVE it! I hadn't really ridden anything but my own for so long, and it really makes a difference in how I ride. Somehow, getting to ride horses I don't know makes me more confident on my own. I'm not sure it makes sense, but whatever, it's a great feeling! 

In other news, Rita and I are adjusting to life without Pia. Rita seems to be doing just fine, but she did cry a little at bedtime a few nights. Otherwise though, she loves having all the attention to herself. So that's a relief. 

And that's it from here! Shiny and Eros will hopefully be home next week and then maybe I'll have some media to share again.

2 comments:

  1. yay i'm so glad to hear things are clicking along so well with Al after the winter of his discon-spook... also your notes about feeling like you're dropping back in the saddle.... ugh, i feel like i have some similar habits there too that i'm *really* trying to break, bc those are the exact moments where suddenly i can't really see the forward distance any more and we end up adding too much, or even if we do get the spot, i kinda do this weird 'pearl clutching' back seat jump position that *nobody* loves lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are going well. I usually laugh when Carmen bucks too. I think that not making too big a deal is better. Trainer's perspective may differ. :D

    ReplyDelete