Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Truthful Tuesday: The One Where I Ask for Some Help

 

I've mentioned how I'm not super happy with how Pammon is going lately. I had my vet pull blood and test for EPM just in case. Fortunately, his results came back as "highly unlikely" that he is infected. So that's good news! Though part of me would have liked something to actually just treat. 

With EPM off the table, I had to wonder if our problems were simply, well, ME. He does feel unsound or weak or just NQR in general. But he's also very sluggish and does NOT listen to my leg. There were moments this past weekend where I actually had to take my leg off and pony kick him like a kid on a Thelwell pony.

Actual Footage of Pammon and me this weekend

Since I have Pammon on full care board, training rides are included. So I swallowed my pride and asked the trainer to sit on him for me. She's a little gun shy about riding him since he broke last time she sat on him and asked for me to be there. I appreciated that and honestly had planned to be there anyway since I really wanted to see what I have been feeling. 

Today was the day! Part of the problem IS definitely me. He's capable of going forward, but he still didn't WANT to. Even for stronger, more demanding trainer lady. It was interesting to watch. He really looks pretty good from the ground. Definitely not as terrible as he feels to me. When he was being pluggy and behind her leg, he honestly looked completely sound. But once she was able to get him using himself and engaged I could see what I have been feeling. While not glaringly lame, there is a definite stiffness behind on the right side. I think it's up high, stifle maybe? Or even higher possibly. I'm not 100% sure. 

The chiropractor has touched base and should be out soon (ugh, seriously... I HOPE it's actually soon). So the plan is that I need to be a little more demanding. That's step one. I'll keep just doing what we're doing, but hopefully, you know... better. Step 2 is the chiro appointment. If that doesn't fix things, we'll have the vet back out. 

So TLDR, it was useful to put trainer on him for me to see that he CAN move his legs. And also for me to see what I'm feeling. But we're still kind of in the same place of him being nqr.


12 comments:

  1. good luck with the chiro, and glad the trainer ride was insightful! honestly you could have switched charlie's name in most of this instead of pammon and... yea... it would be the same. super frustrating. my chiro also does acupuncture and charlie responds really well to it. he's also been known to get stuck if he doesn't like something simple like his girth or saddle. right now he has some skin funk on his back that could very well be the source of all his evil too.... so who really knows, ya know? regardless, if you find a silver bullet for pammon, lmk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be so particular! Pammon just got a new saddle, so that better not be the problem! Lol!

      Delete
  2. I think it is only natural for him to be stiff and weak behind coming back from an injury, though of course like you, I'd be so hesitant to push the boundaries so to speak. Hope he gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree if it was a relatively even stiffness or weakness. But this is very one sided and came on after we had that fall. So I do think it's more than that. But hopefully it's something the chiro can address. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. this can be so frustrating when you know something is not quite right but not sure what. Massage/Chiro might be really good for him to loosen up things that have tightened since he was off. Working on engagement of forward even at the walk is a good thing. Is there a place you can go to hack out so he can really walk out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really trust his behavior out in the great wide open right now... But I definitely think just being more assertive and making him move along will help. Rode with a dressage whip today and he seemed very receptive to that!

      Delete
  4. I've been struggling with similar things with Gwyn but on her left side. She's sound going clockwise, lame counterclockwise. Sooooo frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only they could just be like, "Mom. My stifle hurts." That would really be a lot easier.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I think if you stare at any horse long enough they become lame lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Though this is very apparent from the saddle so I know it's really there.

      Delete
  6. you just described Remus to a tee! Just not wanting to move forward......ugh. I hope you figure out and hope Chiro helps! Remus has been on adequan the last month or so and it has helped immensely (so much he dumped a kid last week oops)! Not sure how old Pammon is but a thought. Hope he gets better. And don't blame yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Adequan and or Pentosan might be useful for future for sure. He's 13 so I'm sure things are starting to get creaky. We did do his hocks (the week before lameness #2 happened). But since this really turned up after he fell, I just really want to find "it" (whatever it is...).

      Delete