Wednesday, October 17, 2018

What's Up Wednesday

Another busy week! Fall is apparently a VERY busy time. I always seem to forget that. Throw in some new horses to ride, and it's practically chaotic. But hey, who needs to sleep anyway?
The weekend started off with some excitement. I got home from work to this scene at the end of my road:
A young driver rear ended a motorcycle. Sheesh. Fortunately, everyone was ok.
Oh, and we closed up the pool Friday too. Bye summer.
 I had made plans with my sister-in-law for Friday evening, long before I had all these horses to ride. So it was a semi pony free evening. I fed the boys and wrapped Rio before heading over there. Thankfully, it was an early night because I was running a leg of the Hartford Marathon Relay in the morning.
You guys. You know what's worse than running when you haven't trained? Having to wait two hours to run. You know what's worse than that? That wait being outside in the rain in forty degrees. Fortunately, I made friends with another runner who shared his poncho with me.
I was fortunate to have the shortest leg at only 2.9 miles. It actually wasn't terrible after the first half. I struggled in the beginning with the cold air and my asthma. But once my innards warmed up, it was fun. I took a couple little walk breaks at the water stops. If I had done any training at all, I would have been able to skip those, but since I hadn't, they were required.
smiles cause it's over.

Our team finished 103 out of 190 teams, so about the middle of the pack. Other than the miserable weather, it was a lot of fun!
And the swag bag included an ice pack, so that makes it worth it right? Plus bling at the end. Love me some swag.
There is no rest for the weary crippled, out of shape runner though. From the race, I got home, changed my clothes, and headed off to ride Eros. We stayed inside since it was so soggy and gross out. Eddie's mom got to see him go too, because she was there with one of her boarders inquiring about a winter stall.
After a lovely ride on Eros, I headed straight to Eddie's house. He was a little sassy from the weather change, so we let him have a little play time on the lunge line first. Not sure my tired legs could have held on to any antics! He was perfect after the lunge though. We stuck to flat work, really working on getting him more responsive to my leg, and carrying himself a bit more. It was a lovely, but sadly media-less ride. Kind of the theme of my riding weekend. Sorry friends!
Next it was back to the house to take care of the bay boys. They both enjoyed a nice walk outside, and Rio had a little grass.

At this point, it was dark out, and I was so tired I didn't want to do ANYTHING EVER AGAIN. But alas, I had to run a few errands. I may or may not have grabbed Five Guys for dinner while I was out. (YUM.)
And then I pretty much died.
The pugs were concerned I might actually die I think.
Sunday I was sans barn helper in the morning, so I was up bright and early (but not as early as Saturday, thank goodness!) to take care of the boys. It was effing freezing you guys:
Ok, I mean, not actually freezing, but really quite close. And three days before this it was 85. Stupid. Anyway, the boys enjoyed their turnouts and I listened to a movie on Netflix while I did chores. It was quite a lovely morning really other than cold, and being somewhat crippled from the run on Saturday.

After chores, it was Eddie time! I honestly prefer to do him first because he takes a LOT more of my strength and energy. He requires a lot of leg, but also, he has this AMAZING trot, full of suspension. One needs some pretty serious leg and core muscles to not be a sack of potatoes up there.
I had an interesting ride on him that morning. He warmed up really well, and the first few jumps I popped over came right out of stride. It was so perfect I didn't know who was riding him. But then, as per usual I started to get in my own way a little. He was fantastic anyway. I'm really enjoying him. He lets me make mistakes without ever holding them against me. He just keeps coming back to try again.
After my jump school on Ed, I went over to the boarding barn to ride Eros. I got to finally ride him out in the gigantic outdoor ring. He was lovely out there. That horse really seems to be the same horse every day. Once in awhile he might be a little looky at stuff if he's "fresh", but he doesn't actually do anything more than that. I feel pretty lucky to have found him. He ADORES my step mom, and never does anything other than be perfect for her.
The ring seriously is enormous. I think it might even be bigger than my trainer's ring in Florida. And next to the ring is a really big pond. Eros actually has a water view from his stall. It's ridiculous!

grumpy ears, but look at the view!
Know what else you can see from his stall? This:

This adorable baby and her mama live across from Eros at night. (They're out during the day.) I know. I can't with that cuteness either.
After Eros time, it was back home to tend to the bay boys again. Both had nice groomies and walks, and Rio had a little more grass. I got inside before it was dark for once, so that was nice! Spent the rest of the evening adulting and cleaning up the house. (Yuck.)
Monday after work was reserved just for my boys. Eros' barn is closed on Mondays and it was pouring rain, so no Eddie either. Usually his mom rides on Monday anyway. Rio and Jampy each had really good curries and that was about it due to rain. Then it was off to the grocery store. Ugh. Adulting is really taking away from my free time!
Last night I rode Eros after work. He was less than enthused...
But was very good as always. I'm starting to play around with him on the flat more, and he seems to have a lot of buttons installed. He can move his front and hind ends independently, and has a nice extended trot. I think I can get more out of that when he gets a little more fit. The only place I'm really having trouble is that when I get him really on the contact, if I let go or soften at all, he'll root right down to the ground. Which makes it hard to soften. We're going to start regular lessons next week though, so I'm looking forward to figuring that out.
That's about it from here! This week is a little quieter as Eddie's mom is away. I'll still ride him, but we'll mostly just be flatting unless someone else is around there.
How was your week/weekend? Do anything fun? Lessons, horse shows, road race... anything?

6 comments:

  1. Ugh, Eros is just adorable. I'm so happy you're having so much fun with him so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg that runner picture made me laugh, he looks like a Lester the Molester back there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He kept his hands to himself, fortunately! hahaha!

      Delete
  3. Okay whatever the shiny turquoise things are in the background of the picture with you and the little fur kids I need in my life! Shiny turquoise everything for me....... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Those are the hooves of an enormous unicorn I won at the fair last year!

      Delete