Wednesday, February 14, 2018

What's Up Wednesday

I still don't have a ton of horsey stuff to report on. The elderly boys are doing well, enjoying vacation. Though Jampy really needs to get back to work soon. He's driving everybody crazy with his pent up brainwaves. He even kicked the wall when I was getting dinner ready yesterday! He NEVER does that. Both of them are really patient about meals, and really don't paw or anything while I get it ready. Except Jamp when he hasn't been in work for awhile. Naughty.
They did nothing exciting last week after work. They had some nice grooming sessions and plenty of snacks, but that was about it. I was holding out strong hopes that we'd get to ride this weekend. Saturday seemed like the best possibility, but it never really got as warm as it was supposed to. Plus the sun wasn't out, so that didn't help thaw things out any quicker. Finally at 3pm I decided to take Jamp out and give him a little lunge on the one soft corner of the ring. It was muddy and sloppy, but a couple spots seemed frozen underneath still. We opted to walk/trot on the lunge a bit and then do a little tack walk.
Rio stayed in. He doesn't need to be worrying about footing. Instead he had some curries and shed out another small pony. I really don't know where he hides all this hair. It just keeps coming out! And it's only February!
You already read all about the rest of my Saturday hunting for the non gift for my dad. The good news is, part of his gift arrived today! It's a book containing the front page of the New York Times for every birthday he's had so far. Kinda neat, right?

Sunday was a total washout due to lots of rain. I was just glad it wasn't snow. My day started with a Galentine's brunch hosted by a friend. She always goes all out with these things, and Sunday was no exception! For those unfamiliar with Galentine's Day, it's from the show Parks and Recs and is about ladies celebrating ladies. Much fun!


Since it was still raining after brunch, with a promise to start raining HARDER, I decided to let the horses have a lovely day of napping and eating hay. What I should have worked on was finishing the great closet purge of 2018, but instead I decided to do some crafts. I've been saving all the ends from C4 belts because I knew I wanted to do something with them. I just hadn't been sure what that something was. But this weekend I decided to add snaps to them and make them into cuff bracelets.
Not to sound cocky... but it was a great idea! They're really cute!
I actually have a few bunch more, but I ran out of snaps. I had picked up a few packages so I'd have enough, but turns out the new ones I picked up were too short. Bummer. Back to the craft store I go this weekend!

After craft time it was back out in the rain to meet the family for Dad's birthday dinner. It was lovely, and we enjoyed cake back at his house afterward. And then finally the pugs and I did a lot of snuggling and watched the Olympics.

Ok, well I watched. They did not. How cute are these lazy little loafs?
I did remember to bring the blue boots out to the barn to get a better photo of them:
See?! Blue! I love them. I can't wait to ride in them. Also, good news, I must have been having a fat day when the boots arrived because the gold ones zipped right up over the weekend. Yay!

And that's all that's really up here this week. We might see 50 tomorrow and Friday, so maybe Jampy and I will try and brave an after work ride in the dark. I may have a braiding job tomorrow though which may get in the way of that. Saturday is back below freezing, so not looking promising for weekend rides this week either. But time will tell!
What's up with you? Been riding much? Do you celebrate Galentine's? Or Valentine's for that matter? I don't do much special for Valentine's being an old spinster. But I do like the holiday. Mostly because I can wear hearts on my sweater and eat lots of chocolate. Can't complain about that. All that said though, it's kind of a silly holiday. People in love should celebrate that year round, not need a day dedicated to it. But since it comes with chocolate, I'll keep that opinion more or less to myself ;).

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a great group of friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a lot of fun! I met them through an old riding friend, and I'm definitely the oldest of the group, but they let me join in the festivities :)

      Delete
  2. Love those boots! I may or may not steal your book idea for my dad's next significant birthday ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a few more pics on today's Thursday's threads post of the boots.
      You should! They have a few other newspaper options too. I got it from Uncommon Goods

      Delete
  3. I had a scintillating Valentine's day in which my long-suffering husband watched me ride and then helped me move round bales for the horses 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure found a good one! Does he have a single older brother? Maybe a cousin?

      Delete
    2. Tragically none of the above! If I could create clones of him I'd be rich 😂

      Delete
  4. PS I super love those cuffs, were they hard to make? I have a dachshund one that would be adorable.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO EASY! I just rounded out the edge on the part you'll see, and then added the snaps. Snaps are easy to do, punch a hole with a leather punch, and then they work much like a rivet on a nameplate.

      Delete
  5. Those bracelets are super cute. I have a few C4 belts, but I never wear them. I think bracelets might be a better use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if you're not wearing them, why not? They're durable, and you don't have to worry about them getting wet or anything.

      Delete
  6. we didnt do much for vday since husband was prepping for a colonoscopy LOL. It is 16 years for us this year so we dont do much. I would totally want the bracelet with the pugs. Just saying and i really do love those boots...they are so neat!! I imagine horses get tired of the weather as much as we do. Right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C4 has the best prints! I didn't even hold out for a sale with that Pug one, as soon as I saw it, I added to cart. #noselfcontrol #allpugeverything

      Delete