Wednesday, March 28, 2018

What's Up Wednesday

A lot can happen in seven days time. For example, your yard can go from looking like this:
To this:
You know what that means right?! I've been riding my horses!!!!
Rio's a little limpy these days. I had the farrier out to check him, and he thought maybe his heels were sore, but since it was snowing when he came, we couldn't really get too much done. I have the vet coming out tomorrow for shots and a teeth float, so we'll see what he thinks too. Rio's looking better than he was though, so I figured a tack walk wouldn't hurt too much. He seemed to enjoy it, so hopefully I'm not wrong.
With the leaves still down we actually have lake views through the trees! Rio can appreciate that.

ATH: All Terrain Horse

I'm clearly not paying attention. Thank goodness Rio watches where we're going.

It's hard to tell, but that's the SUN shining on us! 
Jampy is being Jampy... Terrified of the end of the ring, spooking EVERY time we turn away from said scary end, and yet still incredibly lazy the rest of the time. I can't blame him though. He has had a ton of time off. He hasn't dropped me yet, so that's positive! He looks pretty good too.



It's been SO GREAT to get back in the saddle. It's a little tough readjusting to the work all day, ride all evening schedule, but I'm sure it will be old hat again soon. I think it will also be a lot easier when it actually warms up too. It's been in the 40's which is like a heat wave after all the snow, but it's certainly not warm.
I was also excited to get back in the saddle because I've been DYING to use my new bridles/browbands. They boys look really handsome in their new tack. But I do need to fix Jamp's a little. The crown piece is a little wide for the browband so it's sitting on his head a little funny. I think a little oil should fix it. If not I'll switch out the crownpiece.

Even the short kids took advantage of the nice-ish weather. We went for a walk down by the lake. I used the coupler leash I got a little while ago for the first time. At first it was a lot of Artie dragging P all over the place. But eventually they figured it out.



I also got some quality ladder time in with my favorite client:

And that's what's up this Wednesday! What's up with you? Have you been riding a lot? Has spring appeared where you live? Can you send it this way?

12 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous, my place is a mud pit 😭😭 but the boys look great! I'm glad you've been able to get some riding in. And those new browbands 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so weird how the footing worked out this time. Usually it goes from snow to mud to dust. But this time it was perfect in most places. But the one side still had snow which was kind of weird.

      Delete
  2. The new bridles are GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I LOVE them! The browbands are from Boy O Boy, so they're super high quality. The bridles aren't really great quality, but I was able to get them in custom colors, so it's a trade off.

      Delete
  3. Yay for riding! The weather has gotten warmer here, now it's just constant rain. Although, they are calling for frozen mix this weekend (I hope not!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I hope it at least stays rain for you! Winter needs to give up, it's Spring's turn now.

      Delete
  4. Can you do a braiding tutorial post? I am trying to get better at it and I feel like I am missing some information. Like all the loose hairs below where you tie the yarn knot? How do you hide those? And how do you add the yarn without it sliding out? And basically everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did one awhile back! You can find it here:
      http://amateuratlarge.blogspot.com/2016/05/braids-braids-braids-and-more-braids.html
      I hope it's helpful!

      Delete
  5. Question - who takes all your photos while you are riding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time they are screen shots from video. I bungee cord my phone to the fence and let it video my rides and then grab screen shots. But I have a friend that comes to visit and he'll take some photos/video if he's here too.

      Delete
    2. Oh! Good idea! I was asking because I figured you ride alone and I also ride alone and really want ride media :'(

      Delete
    3. It works pretty well! I did ask the family for a soloshot for my birthday though... fingers crossed they come through!

      Delete