Monday, March 24, 2014

Not one but TWO weekend runs!






Friday evening was pretty gorgeous, though chilly. And I was D-R-A-G-G-I-N-G! I planned to get a 3 mile run in after work and was actually somewhat excited after my speedy 4 miler on Wednesday. But alas, by the time the equine were fed, I was trying to find excuses not to go. I had eaten way too much at lunch and was still feeling full. I was tired. It was windy and cold. Blah blah blah. So I said to myself, "Fatty, you ate all that lunch, don't you think you should run it off? And when have you ever regretted getting a run in?" Am I not the most annoying human EVER when I'm trying to be lazy? Sheesh. But I had made some good points, so off I went.... I started off a bit slower than Wednesday, but for whatever reason, I REALLY wanted to be faster. So I kicked it up the last mile and managed to average a few seconds faster. Good work self!


Saturday was pony day. You can read more about that here. But Sunday I planned to run the Leprechaun 5 Miler with some of my running buddies/book club members. (Our groups tend to overlap.) I'm 100% for running races in ridiculous attire, and the Leprechaun 5 Miler is the perfect venue for such silliness.Thankfully, my friends are into it too!


It was CHILLY Sunday morning, and it was a little tough to get moving! I stayed with my friends for the first mile, but they are just getting back into running after the miserable winter, so I asked if it was ok if I went ahead. They didn't mind at all, so off I went. But I have to tell you, this race was a tough one for me! I really was thinking I'd lay down 5 miles at the pace I've been running all week, but for whatever reason I was struggling! Thinking I was averaging about ten minute miles, I was determined to push through the last mile. I just wanted to make it under 50 minutes... And I DID!


I wasn't as fast as during the week, but given the cold and the slow start (we were alllll the way in the back at the start!) I was pretty happy with the time. Besides, my last race was the half marathon where I averaged 11 minute miles, so clearly it's an improvement! The best part about finishing a little quicker, I got to cheer my friends on at the finish AND get photos!

Ashley

Vanessa

Chelsea wasn't in the pre race photo, she took a little detour and was a little late!
And here's everyone, plus one of Vanessa's co-wokers, after the race!


This race is a lot of fun! They have great sponsors which spoil us runners with homemade clam chowder and green bagels at the post race party (all for free)!! I didn't take photos along the way, but we run right along the Long Island Sound with gorgeous views. The hills are minimal, and the miles pass fairly quickly. My only complaint is the water stop locations. The first one isn't until close to mile 2 and the next one is before the 3rd mile. So you have a long waterless stretch at the beginning and end. Other than that though, it's a great time. I missed it last year to run the NYC Half Marathon, but was happy to return this year!

Did you run any races this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment