Monday, March 24, 2014

No Mani Monday today...

That was short lived huh? I have a good excuse though! I got to ride MY PONIES this weekend! I also did a lot of running, but I'm thinking I'll split ponies and running into separate posts today.
Saturday was a relatively gorgeous day. It started out a bit cloudy, but eventually the sun came out and it warmed all the way up to 60! SPRING! I had an eye doctor appointment in the morning at which they dilated my pupils, so I had to hide in the house until about 1 when I could see again. But even then I was bit blinded by the sun (isn't that a lyric?). I really dislike the whole riding in sunnies look, but I had to do it.

Seriously, look at that sky! What a day!
Ok, enough about the sun. Let's talk horses. I know most of you readers probably aren't horse people. So let me fill you in a little on what my equine have been doing all winter. A whole lot of NOTHING. They go out, but with the ice and snow, they can't really run around or anything. As a result, they are WILD. Seriously, WILD. Caps lock wild. The older boys will go out on a lunge line and get their crazies out there before I get on. A lunge line is a long leash like rope. The horse (ideally) works around you on a circle, allowing you to control their antics somewhat. Here are some pics to explain (and show off my handsome steeds):





Ducky is a bit more of a challenge. He prefers not to lunge. I'm pretty convinced he knows how, as I have had a few moments of success with him, but he's really not good about it. He tries to come stand with me or will refuse to do anything other than walk on the circle. Very frustrating. Especially since he's definitely cuckoo in the brain from all the time off.

There are a few things that do not help when dealing with fresh ponies. Mostly noises, wild animals, and wind. So of course we were having gusts up to 30 mph. Why wouldn't we? But I put on my big girl pants and got to work. I decided for my own safety to give Ducky a little bit of a sedative so I could ride him without getting either of us injured. It takes about a half hour to forty minutes to take effect, so I started with Rio. He was a little frisky on the lunge line, but not at all out of control. I think he was excited to start working again too. Once I climbed on, he was pretty great! Just a few moments of excitement the first time we picked up the canter. Who can blame him with the wind?

My favorite view!
Ducky was ready for me by the time I was done with Rio. I decided not to push my luck with him. We worked on a small circle so I could keep his attention better. The wind had really picked up, and I didn't trust that he would keep his mind on me. Plus my neighbor was outside making all sorts of weird noises. We just did walk and trot for about 20 minutes, and he was really a good boy!


I saved the Jamposaur for last. I was a little apprehensive about lunging him at the end of the ring because he's quite certain that's where monsters breed. Also with the gale force winds, I was a little worried I was going to wind up with a horse in my lap. Thankfully he kept himself in check and lunged very nicely. I wasn't at all worried when I climbed aboard. He was actually a bit tired by the time I rode which was nice, but my poor legs had to work to keep him going! Quite a feat after not riding for 3 months. Ouch. I didn't get a photo from aboard Jampy but here's another of him looking handsome on the lunge line:


Alas, all good things must come to an end. So with sundown Saturday night came the return of winter. High on Sunday was about 39 degrees. Waaaaaahhhhhhhh. I couldn't ride early due to running obligations (more on that to follow!). By the time I was ready to ride it was getting really cold out. I told myself to stop whining and go work horses. I started with Rio and then did Ducky, similar routine as Saturday. While on Ducky though, the wind really picked up and it was getting colder by the minute. I thought I was being a baby, but checked the weather anyway. Low and behold:


Yeah. Feels like 30. No wonder I was freezing. I decided to let Jamp off easy with just a good grooming session in the barn. I think he was grateful. He had fun taking selfies too:




This week is looking very cold with the chance of a snowstorm on Tuesday, so the horses get to go back on vacation until things thaw out again. I'm hoping it's only a few days. I can't wait to get back in shape and get to some horse shows!



No comments:

Post a Comment