Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Truthful Tuesday: Horses vs Humans

I kind of feel like I'm having deja vu. Romey's leaving this weekend feels so much like when I said goodbye to Ducky a few years ago. They are a lot alike in many ways. They are both really reactive. They both have very strong opinions. Both enjoy the taste of human flesh. And somehow, they both took a tiny, itty bitty, little piece of my cold black heart.
I eventually ran into the same issues with Romey as I had with Ducky. Refusal to work being one of the most frustrating. They both had some soundness stuff too. So for each case, it was time for them to move on when they did. But both times, I was really surprised at how sad I felt when they pulled out of the driveway.
SMILE!
As I was hiding in the barn having a bit of a moment after Romey left, I realized I'd felt these emotions before. Not just when Ducky left, but I've felt it with humans too. Being in a wrong horse relationship isn't much different than being in the wrong human relationship. And here's where it gets interesting to me...
Awhile back, I dated a wonderful man for about a year. I think I knew it wasn't working much earlier on in our relationship, but I kept it going trying to make it work. He was a really sweet guy. He thought the world of me. But I didn't think the world of him. Beyond his being sweet and wonderful to me, there was a side from his past that was less so.  History of drug abuse, children he didn't see, that sort of thing. While I know people change, there were signs that those things were still there. I put a lot of work into that relationship. Tried to get him to see where things went wrong in his past. Why he should reach out to the kids. Etc etc. But my advice went unheard and eventually we had to part ways.
"I want more of dis please. No workies."
 As I sat with my coffee after saying goodbye to Romey, I realized my relationship with him was much the same as my ex. Romey could be sweet (mostly when he was sedated...) and he cared about me (probably because I supplied the food) but our relationship was not a healthy one. We wanted different things. Romey wanted to live in a field and eat grass and not do work. I wanted him to be a show hunter. Very different wants, clearly!
It helped me process my feelings a little better, to see that comparison. I couldn't figure out why I was so sad when Romey left until I saw those similarities. I gave Romey almost two years of my time, energy, and even some love. It's hard to see that pull out of the driveway the last time, whether it's a human or an equine. It might even be harder when it's a horse.
For all the good and the bad, Romes gets to keep his little, itty-bitty, tiny piece of my heart. I'll keep him there forever. The rest of him arrived safe and sound in KY. He's going to have some time off and then see if he'd like a job as a light trail horse.
So after all that, today's confession is that I seemingly can't separate my human and horse relationships. None of them easy, are but all of them have been worth it.

16 comments:

  1. I think the healthiest people (and riders!) have that ability to separate what a relationship has and what it NEEDS to have for both parties to feel fulfilled, and the strength to walk away when it's not working (and obviously when I say not working as a rider, I mean finding the horse an appropriate home). Hopefully Romey loves his new life as a trail horse, and hopefully you find your new show hunter ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree. Funny how the right thing is often the hardest thing though, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you know what you need, which is half the battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I know what I need... I know what I don't need though, I guess! haha

      Delete
  3. It's definitely tough to give up on something that we've invested ourselves in, humans or animals. Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you interwebz hugs and some wine <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Tonight is our monthly wine club, I mean BOOK club meeting. Just in time!

      Delete
  5. It is so hard when things with animals/humans don't go the way we planned/hoped for. You did your best (which is all anyone can do) and found a great new home. Sending hugs! I had a horse I rode in high school who constantly bucked me off and was a dick to me, I always felt like if I loved him enough that he would be a good horse... he just needed more time. That has rung true in a lot of my relationships with humans too. Working on that myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? We always think we can change them. Rarely does it stick though.

      Delete
  6. It's amazing what the relationships with these giant creatures can bring out in our own lives. :-) Glad you found some closure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. All this learning is so emotional!

      Delete
  7. I can relate to a lot of the feels in this post. It's really sad to us when we don't get the emotional time, energy or even money out of horses that we put into them to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Trainer and I were talking about that this weekend.

      Delete
  8. Every horse leaves an impression. I hope he likes his new home.

    ReplyDelete