Wednesday, August 16, 2017

What's Up Wednesday

I honestly don't have a ton to report on this week. I had been thinking about going up to Vermont for the weekend to see Badger, but I never really found the motivation. He didn't end up showing, though last I heard he was back to work. Anyway, I felt like staying home and tending to things there was a better use of my time. I wanted to get Romey looking less homeless so he heads back to KY looking better than ever. Plus, Jampy is finding his groove again, and I didn't really want to give him a bunch of vacation days.
Saturday was supposed to be stormy but turned out to be pretty nice. I had a great school on Jamp though I did some horribly amateur things to him. Ugh... Should I even tell you guys? Ok, I will. To start off, Jampy was being a little ridiculous about the far end of the ring. It was a sunny day, but breezy, so the shadows were dancing all over. Jampy doesn't really do shadows.... Once we were jumping though, he was paying more attention to what he was doing and less to the shadows. Less, not none. Anyway, I went to jump the single going toward the scary end and I totally over rode and chased him at it. I expected him to land and take off to punish me (as he should have) but he didn't. He landed nicely and continued on like I hadn't been a dumb ass. Good boy Jampy.
My next bit of stupid came the first time I went to canter through the outside line. I tend to set things short in my ring because it's small. It's really tough to ride on a 12 foot stride in there. Especially on Sir-spooks-a-lot. Most of the time, I'll trot in and canter out the first time, but I had already jumped a bunch of singles and was feeling pretty good about our canter. So I decided to canter in. Except I totally missed. Like completely chocolatey chipped. Because it's set short, there's really not room to add in this scenario and I didn't want to run him down there to make the number either. He likes a good run down the line and I really don't want to encourage that. So I committed the worst of all adult ammy sins: I pulled him up. Ugh. Sorry Jampy. I then turned around, trotted in and cantered out nicely. Then continued to canter all the way around and canter through without issue. And that my friends, is the reason Jampy is such a good boy. He causes plenty of drama all on his own, but he NEVER holds a grudge. No matter what stupid ammy things I do to him, he comes back like it never happened. I think that's why he gets away with all of his bolting shenanigans. It's kind of a give and take relationship.
Rio was forced to work in a bridle for a few days this week/weekend. He's been a little difficult to steer lately, and while I don't mind him going long and low, I also don't want him leaning too much on his front end. He IS neurologically handicapped after all. Best to keep that weight in the middle, ya know? So I put his big mean rubber loose ring in his mouth and asked him to carry himself just a little bit. Of course he's perfect so he did exactly as asked. What a man!
Fact: there is nothing cuter than his low hanging ear
Saturday night I actually hung out with people at a party. Can you believe it? I actually know humans and can socialize with them. It was fun, they even had a band!

Sunday was a beautiful day, and I had promised all the boys they would get awhile out on the grass. Yes, even Romey. I took tons of photos with my real camera (especially of Romey since he's leaving soon). Unfortunately, I'm having a little trouble getting all my devices to sync, so I'll have to share those later. But enjoy this one of Jamp that I took with my phone:
Pampering and grazing ponies took up literally the entire day. I finished up right around six though which was just in time to get changed and walk over to the lake for some live music and my Sunday lobster roll.
There was a guy making these huge bubbles there. Just after this pic, like ten million kids rushed him. Pretty hilarious!

After lake time, the pups and I went for a short walk. They were excited to get out, but didn't actually want to walk. What is that? They were all YEAH! Leashes! We're going for a WALK! Then they were all, hang on I gotta smell this. And this. And that. Twenty minutes later, we'd only gone like a quarter mile. Sheesh. Kids!
The rest of the night was boring chores and laundry. This week has been pretty status quo so far. The tall kids had last night off, so I went for a run after work. I really thought I was picking up the pace. Hahaha! Nope.
But I felt a little better about it when I saw it was 90% humidity out. No wonder it was hard to breath!
Also of note, Monday was Artie's 4th Gotcha Day! I can't believe it's only been four years. I feel like he's been part of the family forever. He's such a great dog.
He may or may not be twice the width he was when he arrived... Me too buddy. Me too.

And that's really all that's up this Wednesday. What's up with you?

Just dropping this here cause it's pretty.

4 comments:

  1. Love that night shot of the barn. I hope to have that for myself some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That party looked way more exciting when I thought the tent was on fire.

    ReplyDelete