Wednesday, October 25, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 


Heh... I nearly forgot to post tonight! Sorry about that. I'm here now though! It was a fairly quiet week around here. Friday and Saturday were rainy, but not a total wash. Friday I got everyone ridden except Shiny, and Saturday I got everyone done except Eros. Sunday was a decent day, but windy. So we rode, but it was kind of let's just survive the day type rides rather than overly productive ones. But at least everyone got some kind of work done! I didn't have barn help this weekend either, so I got to spend all day both days with the tall kids. It was lovely, even if a bit soggy.

Late day bareback ride for Shiny

Monday everyone got shots, and I was proud of myself for remembering to not have Shiny's given in the neck. She has a hard time with shots, and in the spring she had edema for like two months after. So this time we did them in her pectorals and one in her bum. I also remembered to give her a little banamine too. She handled it all great, and probably felt the best of everyone afterwards. 

Al didn't seem sore at all, but I do think he was feeling a little down on Tuesday. I'm a horrible person for saying this, but I appreciated it because he was relaxed for our light ride and kept the spooks to the bare minimum.

Eros seemed pretty sore in the neck when he was in his stall, but actually felt pretty great for his Tuesday ride. I didn't ask for much, it was a loose rein and go forward kind of day, but he was there for it. 

Tuesday was a cool day, much like last week and the weekend with highs in the low 50's, maybe low 60's Tuesday. But today was mid 60's which was lovely. Supposed to get to the 70's for the rest of the week and Saturday which I am very excited about! I mention the weather because I'm always amazed at what a different horse Al is when he's warm. Today he was clearly feeling better after his shots. He was more animated on the cross ties and just seemed more like himself. But when I got on? He was still pretty relaxed and kept the spooks to the bare minimum. I mean, he is who he is, he can't have zero spooks. It's just not who he is as a horse. I even was able to keep cantering (albeit quite slowly) all the way around the ring, SEVERAL TIMES in BOTH directions! And without making any weird noises. I call that a win. I even popped over a little 2' jump a couple times today and he was an angel. If this lovely horse comes out again later in the week, maybe we'll be able to try some little courses! No pressure though. I prefer to jump him with supervision and we'll have that again soon enough when we move for the winter. 

The last few years, come mid September I feel like we kind of lose our momentum. I don't jump as much, and the fences seem to get lower and lower. I feel frustrated that we're regressing, but then I stop and reflect, and I don't think that's really what's going on. I think it's nature inviting us to take a break for a bit before jumping into more serious lessons all winter. Nothing wrong with a little down time. 

Anyway, back to the present day. It was opposite day at the farm today. As I said already, Al was an angel today. Like so good. Sweet good boy. 

also weird.

You know who was not an angel? EROS. He was full on asshat. Which makes me giggle because it's Eros and he's not really that good at being that bad. But he was spooky! And clearly wild. So I just cantered him round and round until he felt ready to work. And then he was big mad that I would suggest he do hard things when he was so tired from having to canter out the sillies. And by hard things, I asked him to collect his trot. Oooo so hard. Poor Eros. Much abused. And Shiny? She was forward! Like, I put my leg on and she listened to it! It was insane. I don't even know what was in the air here today. I'll take it if means Al can be a good boy though! I can handle big feelings Eros. 

Anyway, not too much planned coming up for these kids. We're home for another week, and then we'll be moving to the other barn. I may see if Al can go on the 1st, and then the other two will go when Bellino and Fefe get picked up which should be the 3rd I think. Last year I crammed everyone in the trailer and made one trip, but I'll still need to make another trip to get all our stuff there unless I empty out the trailer tack room. Which seems like way more work than making a second trip. It's only an 8 minute drive. Plus, the sooner Al can get a training ride and have his gas pedal reinstalled, the better! Ha! 

Hope you all are having a great week! Did you do anything fun this past weekend?

4 comments:

  1. It’s impressive how you keep three horses in work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw yay Al for winning this week's blue ribbon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta give him credit when it's due! He was great all week. This week is proving... not the same. Lol! Forty degree temperature drops are not his friend.

      Delete