Wednesday, October 18, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 

I think What's Up Wednesday is really just me whining about the weather lately. I feel like it's cloudy and cold all the time, and if not that, then it's raining and cold. This doesn't bode well for winter. 

Rain does sometimes bring rainbows though!

And the trees are finally putting on a show


As in past weeks, the rain is messing with our schedule and we haven't done much jumping. I tried today, but the only one who behaved enough to actually get anything done was Shiny. She's the real MVP this time of year. 


I mean, we did almost die once:

But we didn't die. And I can't fault her for tripping. I think she's overdue for a shockwave and they're all getting their feet done tomorrow. 

In defense of Eros' behavior today, I rode him late and we all know he hates that. Never ride a redhead when they're hungry. Just don't do it. 

Or they will pull you off the saddle.

He started out okay. 


But after three jumps (that Pivo mostly ignored) the torpedo was launched. And it was a stubborn torpedo! It required a return to flatwork. 


Look! The sun tried to come out for four minutes!

Did I win the battle? Eh. I dunno. I think he'll be fine tomorrow. I'm pretty confident he was just really insulted that I rode him last and so close to dinner time. He really hates that. Dinner is VERY important to E. 

And then there's Al. Sigh. Al is tough this time of year. I really do think he'd be better if we could ride with another horse in the ring. But we don't have that luxury home alone, so we're doing the best we can. 

The last few days he has not been wild at all. But is nervous. He does not at all understand leaves falling off trees. It would be comical if it wasn't so frustrating. I'm pleased that his response currently is to stop and stare, rather than the spin and run of last autumn. But I've never had to work so hard just to get around the ring in my entire life. Like, I'm squeezing so hard noises come out of me. It's a good thing I'm here by myself, or it would be embarrassing. I haven't really been able to jump, because I can't get enough canter. We popped over that one little fence above a few times since it's on the side of the ring without trees. And aiming at the barn. But as you can see, we still had to chip since I have no impulsion what so ever. I cannot wait for him to get some training rides next month! I've said it before and I will say it till I'm old (more so than now) and gray (again more so than now): I am a decent amateur RIDER, but I am NOT a horse trainer. I need help sometimes. And Autumn with Al is one of those times. Winter too really. And spring. We hold our own in the summer! Sheesh. I wish I was a better braver rider. 

We're staring at two of the most enormous crows
we have ever seen. They were sitting in a tree
just waiting for the perfect moment to scare the poo
out of Al. 

I try very hard to reward him when he tries even if it's not the desired outcome. I just want the try. And I think he appreciates that. If you get too hard on him, he just gets more upset. But you also can't just be the good cop. You can't let him blatantly ignore you or he'll walk all over you. (Or spin you right off...) It's a fine line of how tough I need to be while still letting him feel like he's not in trouble. He does not like getting in trouble. Which is funny because he pushes a lot of buttons for a horse that doesn't want to be reprimanded. 

So anyway. That's mostly a recap of today. But it sums up the last week pretty well too. We're kind of living the movie Groundhog Day while we wait for our move to the other barn for the winter. They're all getting their feet done tomorrow (shoes for E, a front trim and hind shoes for A, and a trim for Shine) and then Monday they get their fall shots. Maybe next week the weather will be more cooperative for our shenanigans! As per the norm, it will rain here Saturday and then be extra cold and windy for Sunday. I think that's just the norm here now. At least, is has been the last three weekends. There I go... bitching about the weather again! Lol! Sorry! 

In other news, I had my very first MRI on Tuesday. It was for my knee so maybe I can figure out how to stop angering it. I don't have the results back yet, but should soon. Fingers crossed it's only as messed up as I think and will just need more PT. Or maybe there's nothing at all wrong (even better!) and I'm just old. That would be fine too.

That's it from here. Hope you all had a great week!


4 comments:

  1. The weather has been difficult. I’m sure once Al understands that the leaves falling is not the apocalypse he’ll be fine. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I sure hope so! Poor kiddo just stares out his window all day at the falling leaves. Like he really can't figure out what's happening. He came from Czech where they have seasons, so I feel like this isn't new for him. But maybe they didn't have trees around his farm?

      Delete
  2. Gotta love the fall friskies…. Love how colorful your trees are already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trees really popped this week! I had a few that just kind of dropped their leaves earlier in the season without being pretty and I was afraid it would be a bad leaf year. But I was wrong!

      Delete