Wednesday, June 28, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 

I survived the crazy week! But just barely. Because my body is who she is, it gave me a migraine on Monday which was still around Tuesday too. 

Today it's better, but I'm left with clogged ears so I can't hear anything. Annoying. I often forget that I have an autoimmune disease until I push the old body too hard for too many days, and then it reminds me. It's tough getting old! 

Anyway, I'm not really here to whine about old age. (Maybe just a little.) Let's talk about ponies! Most importantly, Al turned 8 yesterday! 

So he's officially a grown up boy now! (Or at least I think he is. He is now the same age that Rio was when I got him.) 

Photographic proof that he is NOT in fact a grown up boy.
Removing his boot in the left photo, and climbing the
cavalletti in the second.

Trainer is home and I've had three lessons so far with her. In addition to my lessons, her kiddo is riding Shiny on my lesson days, and they're doing so great together this year! I think I've already mentioned, but she's been riding a lot, and even has her own lease pony this year. Now that she knows more and is more confident, she's doing a great job with Shiny. Which is nice to see that my pony is actually good for kids. She just prefers one that knows a little bit versus a brand new rider. That's fair. They are even jumping around over little jumps which is the cutest thing ever. So proud of the yellow pony. 

Al is really enjoying our lessons too. I'm truly believing that he needs to jump real jumps (as in 3 feet or higher) once or twice a week to stay sane. The first lesson, he was a spooky jerk. (We hadn't done much jumping prior to trainers arrival for various reasons.) Not at the fences, just at everything else. Kind of like winter Al. The second lesson he was better, but LAZY and wasn't really listening to me. But today's lesson he was completely on his game. He was listening, moving off my leg, and not spooking at imaginary things. I don't have any media from today because it was threatening to storm and Pivo doesn't really get along with rain. But I have a few photos from Sunday's lesson. Since Shiny was also in the ring, I didn't get a ton of video (Pivo loves to stare at Shiny) but what can ya do? Anything is better than nothing!



We probably could have put the fences up a little today since he was so game, but with my clogged ear I was feeling a little off my game. Apparently I really listen for my rhythm and when I can't hear it... I also can't seem to find it. Sorry Al. I'll do better next time. 

Shiny seems to be adapting to her twice a day rides. I can't say she likes working twice a day... I have to drag her out of the barn for number two. But once she's warmed up, she's pretty happy to go forward. And she's really feeling so much better. She's much more willing in general, but also she's more flexible. She's supple on both sides which I haven't felt from her in a very long time. She's even starting to move off my leg when I ask instead of several strides later. She's even cantering off regular canter aids without needing the whip. Okay, not EVERY time, but many of them. Which is a big deal for her. I'm not positive she's lost any weight, but I do think she's looking less doughy. It will be really nice if I can get my old pony back this summer. I've missed her. 

I haven't really jumped her in awhile. I've been letting the kiddo do the jompies, but maybe this weekend I'll pop her over some things and see how that goes. Hopefully it will be nice weather and Pivo can come out to play too.

Eros is perfect as always too! A couple of days last week he seemed a little off, but whatever it was, he's worked out of it. He felt pretty great today, so I let him pop over a few jumps. He was super and only got a little torpedo-y once. He jumped me loose over the 2'3" oxer every single time. It's so silly. It's so small, and yet he jumps it like he's in the olympics. He doesn't over jump, he's not that motivated, but he somehow finds the time to crack his back over it. Makes me giggle every time. I just love that horse so much. 

Photo from last week

In other horsey news, I'm still getting to ride at the other barn in the mornings. Mostly I do one of the rehabs but every now and then I get to do something that's in regular work. And occasionally I even get to pop over some tiny fences. It's been really fun; I'm so grateful for any extra time in the saddle. I mean, I know I get to ride a ton since I have three horses (one of whom rides twice a day) but I think riding other horses is really beneficial. I'm embracing it while it's available to me! Plus it's nice to see other people now and then. Riding at home can sometimes get a little lonely. 

In other news, the wedding on Friday was super fun! I haven't done much dressing up in a long while. And I forgot that I actually enjoy it. More importantly, while it was a little iffy at first, I do in fact remember how to walk in heels. (It really was touch and go there for a few strides...)
The heels were HIGH.

Love that they had their doggos on the wedding topper

Wedding was Friday night and one of the barn kids had her grad party Sat which was also fun, but I took zero photos. One more grad party this coming Saturday and then I think festivities wind down for awhile. Thank goodness. I'm too old for all this socializing. 

In other, other news.... The truck is back in the shop. This time for an engine light. Seems it's some silly sensor that failed and will cost another $950. Sigh. I may never horse show again if I have to keep making truck repairs. 
On the bright side, the pool is just about ready to go:

Turns out, the guy who said he closed it, didn't. So my heater is ruined and needs replacing. Also, a pipe burst, and the chlorinator was damaged beyond repair. I was planning to hold off on replacing the heater (because several thousand dollars) but my very generous father offered to replace it for me. So yeah. Everything is expensive this summer apparently. I have some braiding work next week though, thankfully! I'm waiting to find out how many I have to braid, and if it's not too crazy, I have tentative plans to take Al to a one day show. Assuming the truck is back of course. So fingers crossed the stars align! 

OH! And one more little bit of happy news. Pammon's new mom took him to their first show together (I think it was her first one ever!) and they did great! They did opportunity cross rails at a pretty big show and got some nice ribbons. So proud of them! I just love that he found the best home. I'm terrible at letting horses go, so when it works out this well, it makes it so much easier. 

Okay, that's it from here. Hope you're all having a great week! Any plans for the weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment