Wednesday, September 2, 2020

What's Up Wednesday

 

I have a little bit of good news to share this week! Doc finally made it out on Friday to look at Pammon. He jogged sound even after flexions. So the good news is that we are starting back under saddle. The less good news is we don't really know what happened or where exactly he hurt himself. But due to the severity of the initial onset and the quick turn around on being sound again, doc is confident it was a muscle issue someplace. Most likely a small tear. He said muscle injury generally takes about five weeks to heal completely, and we were at three weeks on Friday when he came out. More movement is better, but not strenuous movement. So we are doing about twenty minutes of walking and ten minutes trotting per day under saddle. I'll take it! So happy to see this view again!

He is not allowed to do any sort of collection for awhile, but that's fine. He's also supposed to get some ace to help keep the muscles relaxed while he's working. Bonus that it keeps him from being a nut too. 

Shiny is getting back to her old self, but I have had to be a little mean about what forward means. She's just been a little extra lazy, and while I generally prefer lazy to crazy, she's taken it a bit to the extreme. 

Our jump school this week was... barely really a jump school. 

I'm not sure if it was because she was so behind my leg, or what, but I just wasn't feeling very confident and didn't feel up to jumping our usual 2' nor trying the canter through in and out I set up. 

We did do the trot through one though!

I was kind of mad at myself for being a weenie, but only let myself feel those feelings for a few minutes. Then I decided to figure out what the problem really is and fix that. So we're working on the go button and getting her back on her hind end this week. So far so good. 


Eros has been good lately! He's still for sure skeptical at the far end of the ring, but whatever. We usually start our ride cutting that section off, and once he's working he forgets about it. Mostly anyway. I really am starting to feel a difference in how he's going. He's getting stronger and using himself better. 


I still think he'd benefit from hock injections, but I'm also in agreement with doc that it's better to get him fit first. So we've been working at it. We're playing around with more extension and collection at the trot. And of course trotting over all sorts of raised things. 



He's a little extra with the trotting over things... Ha! But that's great, it's exactly what he needs to get him lifting those hind legs. He's a chronic toe dragger behind when left to his own devices. 
I'm happy with his weight though, and I think he's developing some muscles again. Thank goodness. The dad bod was getting a little out of control.


He'll always be a round boy, that's just how he's built. But round looks much better with some muscle tone!

That's it from here this week. How are things going with you guys?

6 comments:

  1. Good news that Pammon was sound for the vet! And Shiny is SO CUTE even if she's lazy. Eros is looking good :) I'm anxiously waiting for new boot photos in tomorrow's Thursday Threads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post does nothing to change my mind that perhaps charlie and shiny are brothers, er, uh ahem, *siblings,* from another mother haha.... what a relief about Pammon tho!

    ReplyDelete