Wednesday, October 23, 2019

What's Up Wednesday: Running edition

This past week included a lot more running that horses, which is super weird. There are two 5K races I run every year, and much to my misfortune, they happen the same weekend. First up was Saturday's Ivoryton Pumpkin Run which is put on by that town's library. It's one town over from me, and happens to be where my brother and his family live. My two nieces did the fun run, and I did the 5K.
Let us remember that I have run a total of 4 miles in the last I dunno... six months? Two of them right after Pammon got hurt, and the other two last weekend on Nantucket. This is not what one might consider good training for a 5K race. Especially one that has a full mile in the woods on a narrow path full of rocks and roots. Fortunately, I stayed upright throughout which is more than I can say for the man in his 70's running just behind me. I stopped to make sure he was ok (of course!), and then he passed me. Lol. Hey, once you stop, it's tough to get going again, ok? Anyway, I walked a bit in the woods, mainly on the steep inclines, and then a bit more on the way back. But I crossed the finish line all in one piece. And achieved my slowest time EVER in a 5K. I'd be upset about that except for the whole not training thing. Plus I wore this outfit, so not too much could really bring me down.
After the race I headed home to feed lunch and then went to ride Eros. He was perfect of course, which was much appreciated by my tired legs. And then it was back home to ride Shiny girl and walk Mr Pammon. It was a pretty perfect day, and we all enjoyed our time outside together.

That wrinkly nose though!
A couple of things happened on Friday that needed addressing on Saturday as well. One I couldn't fix right away, but should be done by tomorrow... The gator has a flat tire. I've taken to blaming all flat tires on my creepy neighbor now, but honestly, it's probably just flat. The other is that we've found evidence that I have a rat visiting the barn again. I had two coming around last year or the year before (who can remember) and they were terminated fairly quickly. I was pretty proud of myself for getting rid of them! But alas. Here we are again. So I did what any rational person would do and ordered a case of traps from Amazon. And set a bunch end to end where I found the entrance.
These supposedly don't require bait, but so far I've caught nothing. Fear not though, I have another case of different traps that I'm going to bait with peanut butter. So I will catch the little jerk. (Sorry for anyone who's really anti murdering rats. But I can't have filthy little animals chewing up my coolers and saddle pads and defecating all over the barn.)

Once I had gone all Home Alone on the rats and the horses were tucked in, I was pretty tuckered out. So the pugs and I had a relaxing evening with a relatively early bed time.

Sunday's race was The Run for the Cove. The Cove is a program for children who have lost a parent or sibling to help them through the grieving process. My little brother went through the program when he lost his mom, and it was really wonderful for him. So I make a point to try and run every year. My dad is a sponsor for the race as well, so we get a spot on the t-shirt which is pretty cool:

There is both a 5K run and 2 mile walk, and both are dog friendly. So it's super fun to attend. Dogs get bandanas for participating which is ADORABLE.

My friend and hair dresser runs most years too, so it was nice to have some company.
The best part about being the slowest in the group is that my friends get cool shots like these on the way to the finish:
This run is pretty much flat the entire way which is mostly nice. I managed to run the entire way through which I was pretty proud of! And I finished just about a minute faster than I did the day before. I was super tired after, but proud of myself!

From the race I headed home to feed lunch and then off to ride Eros. He was a gem as always and even offered up flying changes both directions. Normally he trots through them on the flat, but not Sunday! Not sure what's gotten into him, but I'll take it!

My friend had messaged me earlier in the day to say she could clip Shiny for me on Monday, so instead of riding her on Sunday I gave her a bath. A much needed bath I might add. She wasn't thrilled, but she stood like a good girl. And then I bundled her up in her BOT outfit and let her dry off in her stall.
Apparently she was NOT GOOD to clip. Which is surprising to me because she is so good about everything else. But I guess they all have a hole someplace. Sorry friend! Thanks for getting it done though! My allergies appreciate it!

Pammon enjoyed his walk and then the weekend was pretty much over. They go by way too fast. WAY. TOO. FAST.
Pammon, wondering where the time goes.
This week has been fairly unexciting. Shiny got ridden Monday. Pammon got his walk in, it had started raining so we cut it a little short. 15 minutes instead of 20. Last night rained again, and heavier, so they got the night off, and I was able to meet up with the book club girls. So that was fun!
And now we're here. Wednesday. Less on the agenda for the week to come, so that is nice! Hopefully I can get some things accomplished in the disaster that is my house.
How was your week/weekend? Do anything fun? Horse show? Lessons? Go for a run? Tell me all about it in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. Ugh two races in one weekend is 1 too many lol. Awww Shiny how can you be bad for clipping when you are so cute?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She uses her cuteness to get away with such things!

      Delete
  2. Love the Halloween running outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. two races is two too many in my book (Thank you heel spurs and plantar facistis.ugh). LOL On Shiny being bad clipping. Remus falls asleep. but then Shiny is less spooky about other things so i might trade you :) HA! Congrats on running all those miles. UGH

    How is Pammon doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rio and Jampy both liked body clipping (except the leg and ears) so this is new territory. Glad I'm not the one doing it! Haha!
      Pammon's leg is swollen. I think he got spooked during a storm a couple weeks ago and re-injured it.

      Delete
  4. omgosh two races back to back?? you're a brave woman!!! glad it all went well ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I pushed myself through either all that much... haha! Slowest 5K's I've ever run! But hey, crossed the finish lines in one piece!

      Delete