Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Truthful Tuesday: The one with the winter plans

I was driving home last night from picking my pups up at their grandma's house and I realized how much has changed in the last year or so. September of '18 I had two horses and could ride neither. Rio was retired and Jampy was recovering from a rather serious laminitic episode. Here and there I'd grab a ride on my friend's horse Bradley (or Big Brad as I like to call him):

I also was getting to ride Eddie right around that time.
And even did a couple horse shows!
But the Seidman herd was small. I had just sold Badger, so it was just Rio and Jamp at home.

 We added Eros to the herd, but he lived at the boarding barn. Who would have thought how much change was in store for the coming year? I sure didn't.

Fast forward to now. It's like a fresh start I guess. All new horses.

Artwork by @artastride
And the biggest change of all is happening for the winter. (But fear not, life goes back to normal come April!) I've made the decision to board both Shiny and Pammon for the winter. It was kind of an agonizing decision (I know, complete first world problems.) I really enjoy taking care of my horses, seeing them everyday, and having control of every aspect of their care. But most winters we have to stop riding around mid December and often aren't able to start again until March or sometimes even April.
Because Snow.
This was fine when I had older horses. But having a 6 and 12 year old, I feel like they don't need such a long break every year. Shiny would get so fat, I think she might pop! And I'd like to get Pammon rehabbing as soon as he's able rather than wait an extra few months. This way, hopefully, we'll have a chance at a show season next year.
 I've been thinking about this for awhile. Originally the plan was just to bring Pammon in for the winter. He would have taken Fefe's stall when she heads south for the winter. But then he got hurt. So I decided I would take Shiny over until Pammon was ready to start back to work and then switch them out when he was ready. But then I lost Rio. Which would have meant bringing neither horse in for the winter or both. I don't want one home all alone. Horses don't like to be by themselves. And let's be honest here... We don't need more horses!

So this is today's confession: I'm taking the easy way out this winter and boarding my horses. I'll have a lonely, empty barn at home. But I'll get to keep riding and lessoning all winter, and maybe will actually have some free time to get my house cleaned up and decluttered. Part of me feels some kind of weird failure by making this choice. But mostly I think it's a good plan. And if I change my mind, I can always take them back home. It's only a 7 minute drive to the barn. Nothing set in stone that's for sure!
Finally will actually put a horse in that trailer on the bottom!
They agreed to let me supply my own grain so I don't have to change their diets. And the care really is good over there, even if we sometimes clash on how we like to do things. I use the same vet and farrier they do. (Mostly, one of my vets doesn't work over there, but I can always bring the horses home for his appointments or just wait and schedule them for spring. I also think I can use my own if I want to.) So that's the plan! Fefe leaves sometime around the end of October/beginning of November and then Pammon and Shiny will move over.
Have any of you ever wintered someplace different so you can use an indoor? How did it go?

22 comments:

  1. How exciting! I know you'll miss having the horses at home, but I know you'll love being able to ride more often once the weather gets cold.

    I was able to move Dexter and Sassy from December 2015 to February 2016. I didn't get to ride a ton, but I got to see them as much and I wanted (it was much closer to home), I had help when I had surgery and couldn't go out at all and if I wanted to ride, I had an indoor I could use anytime. Other than some clashes with the barn owner that ultimately resulted in us going back home, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, were money no object.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will definitely be lots of positives to having an indoor for the winter!

      Delete
  2. I think this is a great decision and you'll all benefit from having less time away from riding this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The option you didn't mention was getting a donkey to keep at home!

    Very exciting! I'm glad that you'll be able to spend more time riding this winter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbor would DEFINITELY complain if I got a heehawing donkey! hahaha! I should totally get one....

      Delete
  4. Ha oh man I don’t see this as giving in at all - it sounds like a huge win. Winter is hard enough as it is, I honestly think it’s pretty impressive you’ve been able to balance staying on top of all the horses at all the barns as it is! Plus I’d totally feel the same way about wanting to get started on Pammon’s rehab ASAP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be too impressed! My stepmom rides the other horses during the week, so I just have Eros and sometimes Fefe on the weekends. But it will be really nice to have them all in one place this winter!

      Delete
  5. I sometimes wish I could board but the options are small here. In a ideal world I would haul out but I won't haul in the snow so there's that.... I think you made a really good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't haul in the snow either, totally agree with you! I think it will be a good decision!

      Delete
  6. Well, blogger ate my first comment. Let's try again. I'd like to winter in NC myself. We had originally wanted to board the boys last winter to keep riding, but we couldn't find a convenient indoor with spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean if we're dreaming, I wouldn't mind wintering in Florida! Pesky job might be an issue though... lol!
      I imagine in VT the places with indoors fill up quickly for winter.

      Delete
  7. I very seriously consider doing the same thing every winter and it doesn't even snow here! Cold, wet, short days are tough and it would be so much easier somewhere with lights and an arena! I think it's very sensible and you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, if I didn't have lights outside, I would have to move even earlier!

      Delete
  8. The one upside of moving Peebs back to GS this winter was their indoor. TCF only has the outdoor but in all other ways it's the perfect barn. I'd rather have Peebs at TCF, but I'm not complaining about moving him to a barn with an indoor for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's like nothing is perfect, but an indoor is definitely going to be nice!

      Delete
  9. Not Failure. A wonderful opportunity to try something different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think it is giving in - winter is hard! I've boarded out over the winter to keep riding and be able to show in the spring. No harm or shame in that. In fact, a lot of people do that here because winter is brutal and soul-sucking...

    I mean, you could've found a mini something or other to keep Shiny company, but that is just extra hassle. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no more animals! (For now anyway.)
      Winter is the pits. It might be nice if it was shorter.

      Delete
  11. as someone who does fat buckskin boot camp for this reason I salute you (I had to go back and find this post). I wish I could board all winter. No one has an indoor here so wtf i might as well keep him home and haul out.

    Glad you got plans :)

    ReplyDelete