Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Truthful Tuesday

My confession today is that I've spent a lot of money lately on Pammon and Shiny. The boarding barn requires we use certain blankets, so I had to outfit them with those. I was able to get some second hand ones for Shiny, and since Fefe isn't taking all of hers to Florida, I only needed a couple of things for Pammon. So that wasn't terrible at least. Kind of a bummer given I already have full wardrobes for them in my colors, but not the end of the world.
I also got them some new brushes and bags to store them in as my bulky brush boxes won't be that useful there with our locker set ups.

I got their names on them too, cause I'm a dork.
But one thing I spent a bunch of money on that I'm pretty excited about are these tags I found on Etsy. At the boarding barn, they use ugly, round, metal tags on the blankets with the horses' names on them so we can tell the blankets apart. But I found a cuter solution, and I actually ordered some for at home too.
I got them in navy with silver letters for the boarding barn, and the ones for home will be in my colors. I just think they're a great idea! Schneiders has a similar option, but these are a little cheaper.

But here's my real confession... I ordered all four kids some custom halters in the boarding barn colors... Or SO I THOUGHT! I got them in navy with light blue overlay. But they came in... you guys. The light blue is like robin's egg blue not baby blue.
It's much worse in person, trust me.
 I spent a TON on them and they are all personalized so I can't return them. So my poor herd will be donning some ugly ass halters over there. I'm hoping they roll outside and get them REALLY dirty really quickly. I'm certain they're going to get teased.

Ok, that's it from here. Anything you need to confess today? Do any shopping? Personalize anything that came out awful? Tell me all about it in the comments!

16 comments:

  1. I'm glad to pass the shopping torch back to you! I'm 5 days with no shopping so far and holding strong! lol

    The name tags are cute! I actually like crazy halter colours - Copper's is bright purple and lime green...so...yeah...I'm no help. Too bad they aren't what you wanted though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, they aren't AWFUL, they just don't really go with the decor at the boarding barn. I'm sure they'll be fine.

      Delete
  2. I just think its nuts the boarding barn requires all the horses to have the same blanket...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking this, too. Why do they all have to match??

      Delete
    2. I think it's partly to avoid having all sorts of awful blankets all over, but the reason they give is that it's a lot easier to make sure the horses are wearing the right weight blankets when they all have the same ones. Which makes sense given they have kind of high turnover of barn workers there. They also don't charge for blanket changes like most barns around here, so if matching blankets keeps those fees away, I'll take it! The required ones are fairly inexpensive also, so they're not expecting us to buy ridiculously expensive custom blankets or anything. It's definitely a weird rule, but for whatever reason, I'm not all that bothered by it. I might be if their colors were something I hated though!

      Delete
    3. What happens if your horse doesn't fit the required blanket? Different brands fit different horses. My TB and my appendix cannot wear the same brands at all. As for ugly/awful blankets, aren't they all the mud colored eventually? This is why I can't ever live in an HOA. You tell me my mailbox needs to be green, I may like green, but now, on principle, my mailbox needs to be blue or red or any color other than green just to prove a point. I don't like being told what to do. No HOAs for me... Or boarding barns with blanket rules. LOL.

      Thankfully, the barn where I ride has pony kids so blankets are random colors and often sale horses come through so blankets are handed around, repaired, and used if something needs it. So, my collection of randomness would fit in.

      Delete
    4. They use the Amigo blankets for stable which oddly seem to fit everything very well. But I do agree, that's not usually the case! They have different blankets for turnout so they are pretty clean in the barn.

      Delete
  3. I'm buying a new leather turnout halter because Niko broke his being dumb. So... that's my confession lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! Big D's, I have a green one in the trailer. (Obviously.)

      Delete
  5. No shopping for me, not on horse stuff anyway. Turns out you don’t need much when you own zero horses and only ride minimally. My purchases this week? Groceries and diapers. Yep, so exciting.

    I really like the brush bags. Agree with the others above that it’s a little crazy that the horses have to have navy blankets at the boarding barn. The horse I rode last night had a fly sheet on in very poor condition and it was 35 degrees. He was inside, but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just navy, but the exact same blankets! I gave a lengthier explanation above though. It doesn't bother me all that much, I just kind of wish I'd known this would be the plan back in the summer when I bought my green wardrobe!

      Delete
  6. wait you are boarding them at the boarding barn and not at home? Sorry did I miss a blog??

    I like the halters but get that it is not the color you wanted! Also I second the fact some blankets dont fit all but I am glad it seems to work for you!

    And I am so antsy to buy new blanket but literally have plenty already and they are all clean for this winter I have to get one out tomorrow as THURSDAY NITE IS 28 degrees now calling for. WTF WEATHER!! LOL

    hahahaha on you always shopping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have! It was truthful tuesday a bit ago. They're going to board for the winter so Shiny can keep working and Pammon can start work right away when he's ready. They'll come back home in March or April. Whenever the snow melts!
      These blankets have a higher neck so they seem to work on all different body types. Fortunately. The lesson horses are quarter horses, there are tons of warmbloods, and even an Arabian horse that all seem comfortable in them. I don't love the sheets, but we are allowed two options on those.
      And WHAT?! 28?? NO! Do NOT send that weather this way!

      Delete
    2. that will be so odd not having them at home BUT yay for indoor!! :)

      Delete