Wednesday, November 28, 2018

What's Up Wednesday

It was so nice having a four day weekend last week. SO NICE. I got a lot accomplished, which is always a good feeling.
Thursday was Thanksgiving, which meant I did the pony chores in the morning. I actually kind of love spending the first part of my holiday that way. Firstly because it gets me out of bed early, so I don't waste the day. And also because it's just really quiet, me and the boys. However. I wasn't super excited about the idea when I saw the forecast. It was about 12 degrees when I walked out the door, but with the wind chill? -2. That's Fahrenheit. Effing cold my friends. Fortunately, earlier in the fall I had ordered the boys new turnouts that are supposed to be warmer than their old ones. They looked awfully cute in their new snowsuits.
They aren't quite hunter green, but they are some sort of green with tan accents. Close enough.
These boys are both aged, and used to spending much of their time indoors. So I decided to give them shorter turnout time, and just do one at a time while I did their respective stall. This might sound like it gave them only 15 minutes outside, but I'm the world's slowest stall cleaner/bucket scrubber, so they were out 45 minutes to an hour. Jamp wanted no part of it. He was bouncing around doing an angry dance the entire time. Rio didn't seem particularly phased, but the nicker he gave me when I came out to let him in suggests that was plenty of time for him too. I think we were all really grateful for the heated barn that morning.

heat and hay is all this boy needs.
 Once I was done at home, I headed over to the boarding barn. They give the staff the day off and do a mucking and mamosas morning for anyone willing to help out. They were nearly done by the time I arrived, but Eros is the second to last stall, so I did his at least. He was outside but seemed pretty happen when I was done and came to bring him in. We were allowed to ride, but it was so bitter cold. And it came on so quickly, I decided it wouldn't be all that healthy for either of us. Plus I was kind of running out of time. So after I finished my mamosa and stuffed Eros full of cookies, I headed home to get cleaned up for dinner with the family.
Thanksgiving dinner was served at my brother's house at 2pm. I guess it was more of a Thanksgiving late lunch... It was a really nice time to do it though, because normally, I get to eat dinner, then have to drive home to feed the horses and dogs, and then go back for dessert. But with the earlier time, I was able to stay and just enjoy the family. It was a lovely day.
Also, I finally got to see the play scape and play house my dad and stepmom got my nieces over the summer. If it wasn't antarctic out there I'd have been all over that.
Know what I did after dinner and feeding the horses? NOTHING. I put on my jammies and sat down on the floor with the puggers. And maybe did a little online shopping. (Obviously.)
1.5 pugs. One lap.
Friday morning I was up and ready to go for a 10:30 lesson. I got to the barn early, and had to go find Eros out in the grass paddocks. He had everyone all riled up running around out there... Silly pony. He let me grab him though, and after getting passed the horse in the paddock next to his, he calmed down and walked politely. I got him in and put him on the cross ties (I was going to let him pee first, but the tractor was in front of his stall), when I saw this:
That would be an unshod hoof. And yes, Eros, you DO wear a show on that foot! So I waited with him on the cross ties until the tractor moved, and then headed outside (where it was warmer than Thursday, but still only 16 degrees) to hunt for the shoe. Thankfully I found it fairly quickly.
he didn't need that hoof wall anyway.
Alas, no lesson for us with that shoe missing. Maybe if half his foot hadn't come off with it, I could have taped him up and ridden. The ring is super soft with the GGT footing. But I didn't want to risk it with that much hoof gone. The farrier was able to come that evening though, so it wasn't too long of a vacation for him.
I had the repairman out for the washer Friday too. He thinks the board is bad on it, so he's replacing that when the new one arrives later this week. Cross your fingers that fixes it, because if not, I'm out $500 and a washer.
The rest of Friday was spent with the bay boys. Rio was flaunting his horn in front of Jampy.

And that was pretty much it for Friday. I wanted zero part the black Friday shenanigans. I spent the rest of the evening switching over the summer and winter clothes, and doing a ton of laundry. Not very exciting, but nice to have that done!
Saturday was similar. I did brave the great outdoors to run a couple of errands, and then spent the rest of the day riding Eros and grooming the bay boys. And then FINALLY!!! on Sunday I got to have my lesson. Eros was fantastic, and we even jumped a couple of 3' jumps. I think we're getting to know each other. I'm starting to get really excited about showing him this spring. I love that he has a huge stride, and he knows exactly where he is in any line. We did have to jump into a line and halt straight a few times because he was taking over a bit too much. But once we did that, he was a perfect gentleman.
This week has been the usual so far, grooming the bay boys, flatting Eros, and work. I'm having my usual lesson tonight instead of Thursday because I'm heading to Florida for a long weekend (woohooo!).
And that's what's up this Wednesday! How was your week/weekend/Thanksgiving? Do anything fun? eat a ton? Score some great deals shopping?
I shall leave you today with the cutest picture of Pia sleeping:


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Right? I mean I'd help shovel poo either way, but mamosas definitely sweeten the deal!

      Delete
  2. hate when they pull shoes right before a ride! Glad you got one in and your pug snuggles are always jealousy inducing haha

    ReplyDelete