Wednesday, August 9, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 


Wow, summer is just flying right by, isn't it? Like for real, where does the time go? I wish it lasted just a bit longer. Regardless, I am fully enjoying my favorite season. Even if it is too short. 

So let's chat horses! We'll start with the youngest child, Al. I mentioned last week that Al was feeling sore in his lower back, possibly SI area. I had borrowed a laser for him and that seemed to help him a lot, but I had to give it back since it was a loaner. 

"Mom, get me one of these" -Al (probably)

I'd like to get him one very much. This is the neck wrap, but it's useful on the back too. The wrap itself is pretty inexpensive but the battery packs are almost $600 each and it needs two. He has to wait a bit though because I have to get my fridge fixed and have a very large tree that needs to come down first. (Have I mentioned I've been living without a fridge for almost two weeks now? No? It's a real PITA let me tell you!) Thank goodness I have some braiding jobs coming up! I digress... back to Al. So this week, I had hoped Al would feel as good as new, but he does not. So we're just light flatting as best we can until the vet can get out. Which unfortunately, won't be until Friday the 18th. We had hoped to go to a show this Saturday, but that will be a no go for Al. I'm thinking I may take one of the others though. Not sure which one yet. 

Back On Track therapy is wonderful, but not as wonderful as a laser.

Next is Shiny. Shine's doing well. Her kiddo had a sleepover last weekend so I got to jump around Saturday. Here are some clips of a few fences.


It took awhile to get the engine revving but once she got moving she was great. I've been working this week at getting her more responsive to leg... Can't say I'm having all that much success. Shiny kind of does what she wants. Lol. But we'll keep plugging away at it. We've been trying to mix things up with our twice a day rides. Our second ride Saturday I took her out in the backyard so she could get some work on little hills. I figured that would be a good workout for her, and we could do more in less time. (We were both kind of over trotting circles in the sandbox.) Sunday was bareback day and I allowed her to ride just once that day. We both were ready for a lighter day by the end of the week. I may end up bringing her to the show. Trainer's kid is showing in the short stirrup and there's an 18" training hunter division right after that which might be convenient. They may even open all the cards so we could go at the same time. And if Shiny's behaving, maybe kiddo can take her around a course too. We shall see! Shiny's never actually shown before, so she could be a little excited. Hard telling, not knowing!


And that leaves Eros! Eros has been a little tough the last couple weeks. I really couldn't figure out what his drama was. I kind of thought he was fresh. But when we jumped he was perfect. Completely free of torpedos. Which, if he was fresh, there would be torpedos aplenty. But the spooking! He spooked so hard the other day, I swear I felt my brain hit my own skull. (I was still on him, it was just a very abrupt prop and stop.) 
unrelated photo of him looking cute over a fence

I do think the source of his angst let itself be shown this morning though. 



Yep. That's a bear. A FUCKING BEAR! Just wandering around next to my ring. It then wandered back around behind Shiny's paddock and was thinking about climbing in with her. At which point Shiny's turnout was cut short and she came inside... This bear is pretty small, and I think it's young. I'm pretty sure mama bear was spotted trying to get in a hammock in a yard down the road though. Despite the exciting morning, Eros did my lesson today since Al is sidelined. He was perfectly perfect, though still spooky at the end of the ring. Not as spooky as Al though! Al was a complete looney tune and wound up trotting on like 1/4 of the ring the entire ride today. He's too sore to spin, but he sure did try it a bunch of times. My poor brain. Just getting sloshed around all over the place. Oh, important to mention, it was insanely windy here today, so every time a big gust came about both boys were sure the trees were bing moved by a bear. This may take some time to fix. Always something around here! 

Anyway, back to Eros. I would actually kind of love to take him to the show this weekend. But his classes might not go until very late where as Shiny's would go very close to trainer's kiddo's classes. So that seems like the more logical choice. Perhaps I'll find another for him to attend. I've never shown him, and I think it could be a lot of fun. Or I'll get VERY run away with. But that might also be fun. Ha!

Here are a few clips from one of our jump schools last week:


In other news, I'm still getting to ride a horse or two at the other barn in the mornings, so I'm getting tons of saddle time. I love it! I feel like I'm reliving my summers during college minus the going away to shows. I know it can't last forever, and after this summer I'll probably need to find at least a part time job, but for now, I'm really just enjoying it. I know I'm VERY lucky to have this extra time to just ride horses all day. And I'm so very grateful for it. 

All that said, anyone have any suggestions for a decent paying part time work from home gig? I don't have a lot of skills, and I'm old. But I know a lot about disposable gloves. And a little about horses. Give me suggestions of avenues to explore!

5 comments:

  1. 1) uhhhhh wtf, a BEAR?!? that's just a titch too much wildlife for me, thanks
    2) love the pink pants
    3) yesssss you should 100% take Shiny to the show!! bummer that Al isn't feeling his best, but Shiny Showing sounds like the perfect antidote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1.Right?! A BEAR! Nuts.
      2. Thank you! I feel like the shade looks a little different depending on what you pair with them.
      3. Show has been canceled. Womp womp.

      Delete
  2. ESL (English as a Second Language) teaching is a great gig that can be part time and is usually remote on your own schedule. Different employers may ask for a certification, but some don't at all. They mostly just want a native English speaker with a kind personality. Hope this helps!

    https://www.teflcourse.net/faq/do-you-need-a-degree-to-teach-online-/?_ga=2.96163612.1471871106.1691771880-1006837709.1691771880

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete