Wednesday, August 30, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 


Another kind of boring week on the lesson front as I didn't have any. Al's still waiting on the farrier before we move forward with our workload. So he's just flatting lightly for now. Seems to be on the right track though, so that's positive! He's been relatively sane most days which is also a positive since he hasn't had a free lunge in weeks. And we all know Al really appreciates his free lunges. I'm sure he'll be a psycho tomorrow since I'm praising him now... But maybe not. He IS eight now after all. That's like full on grown up. 

I'm just kidding. Al will never be a grown up and I'm not sad about that. He's so full of fun, I hope he stays that way forever. But like... the spooking could simmer down.

Shiny's kiddo is going back to Florida soon, so they're getting in as many rides as they can before she leaves. They've been doing so great together, it's really fun to watch. But they did have a parting of ways last week. They didn't get down the line quite as well as they thought. Kiddo asked for the long one which Shiny actually obliged, but despite ASKING for the long one, kiddo didn't really believe in it, got left behind and then just popped off as Shiny landed. Oops. No tears were shed though, and she got right back on and tried again, like a true horse kid! So proud of both of them for not letting a little mistake rattle them. Shiny is a little naughty when she drops her kid though. It happened once last year, and then this time this year, and both times she's run away bucking. Like she's careful to make sure she's far away from her deposit before bucking... but still. She bucks! Naughty! Easy to catch though. So that's good. 

Eros has been his usual mostly perfect self. He's been a little lazy about really using himself, so we're working on that this week. I didn't end up jumping him last week because the weather hasn't cooperated with my schedule. But we did a lesson today, kind of... He was feeling himself today! He seemed quiet when I was warming up, but pretty spooky. Which didn't bode well for the jumping part... and well. He was pretty silly. He wasn't terrible AT the jumps, but was landing VERY bold. Which was fine. Despite being wild, he did let me reel him in and would consider my input at the jumps. So I'll call that an improvement over years past when he was feeling this sort of way. I'm not sure why he was so up today. Yesterday they were all cool as can be. Relaxed, not spooky. ALL OF THEM. Today? Everyone spooked. Even Shiny. Something in the air I guess. We had a very weird weather day, and I think that gets to them. But who knows? Horses, right?! We'll try again on Saturday... Until then we're going to get some work done on the flat, and maybe have a little free lunge. He also enjoys those from time to time. 

I mentioned last week on Thursday's Threads that we had spirit week last week at the boarding barn. If you've been around awhile, you know that I love a good theme. And spirit week is my time to shine! I wave that freak flag high and proud! So I feel the need to share all of my outfits with you guys! (Don't worry, it was only Tues through Fri.) 

Tuesday: Tacky Tourist

I rode Cuba for Tacky Tourist Tuesday and she was a very willing participant. My shirt, saddle pad, and her polos all had palm leaves on them. The bonnet had flamingos. And her fanny pack was a watermelon but it also had a koozy sleeve attached. It would be so perfect for trail riding!

Wednesday: Barn Day
I had Cuba again Wednesday and she liked dressing in the barn colors and logo too. But I think she liked Tacky Tourist day better. 

Thursday: Throw Back Day 
You guys already saw this one... but I really think you can't see it enough. That pink side pony is my favorite part. And Slim is so handsome too. 

Friday: Color Wars!
I'm not sure if you could tell, my team was yellow. I had Quebec for yellow day, which he's a SUPER fun ride. But he wasn't really into dressing up. Hence his half braided mane. I had planned jumper knots with big yellow pompoms. But then Quebec was like NOOOOO so I didn't get that done. He didn't seem to mind the yellow tail extensions though, so high for five for those! The yellow helmet mohawk was my favorite part of this outfit. I feel like maybe helmet hair accessories should be a regular thing. Nothing says fun like a side pony or a mohawk. 

In addition to all this fun, I actually had a lot of braiding work this weekend. Like a lot. 



By Sunday night my watch had logged this:

Nothing says finals weekend like a 23 hour day! Thankfully, I didn't have as much work as last year this time. That was insane. But over the three nights I did 14 manes and 12 tails. And THAT will pay for half my load of hay I need to order. So yay for that! 

Night 1:
Night 2:

Night 3:

The nights were long, not so much because of the amount of horses as there weren't that many, but none of them were at the show. So I had to travel to four different barns to get them all done. Thankfully they were all pretty close. 

My town's annul fair was this weekend too, and I hate to miss it! Even if two favorite food stands were gone. (Boo.) So after finishing my last mane Sunday, I headed straight to the fair! First stop was to look at the bunnies because I LOVE bunnies. I've never had one. But I think they are so cute. Then I walked through the cow barn because they're also adorable. Finally I ordered myself some food. I went with a grilled cheese. It was stuffed with bacon and tator tots. 10/10 highly recommend. Sat and watched the horse pulls while I ate that. Then got some ice cream and watched the horses for awhile longer. 

Eventually I had to head out to go ride my own horses. But not before getting a giant bag of kettle corn. Man, I love fair food! When Sunday finally ended, I slept for 12 hours and took Monday as a garbage day. Rita and I went for a walk, the horses got fed as normal, and otherwise I did absolutely nothing productive.

That was my week! Hope you all had a good one. 


4 comments:

  1. That is a LONG TIME to be braiding, must be so satisfying to have that in the bank tho! Glad the horses are doing well even if Shiny was a bit naughty after dropping her kid!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paycheck definitely makes it worth it! To be fair, I think over the three days I was braiding for about 21 hours total. That 23 hour day wasn't straight braiding. I'd have died! Haha!

      Delete
    2. ohhhhhh it was only 21hrs and not 23??? gosh yea, that changes everything lol, nbd, anybody could do that LOL ;P

      Delete