Wednesday, April 19, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 

Oof. I mean you all know the bad news. But that aside, it actually was a pretty good week. I've been riding a TON! Which is fun, though harder than I remember it being when I was younger... Ha! Today I rode six, but thankfully two were rehabbers so they mostly walked. It was lots of fun, and I really love getting to sit on something that doesn't know me from time to time. Make sure I'm still doing things correctly, ya know? 

My own tall kids have all been quite good lately. Let's start with Shiny this week. We had our lesson Thursday, and though she was tripping a lot, she was very good. Our current lesson mate mostly jumps crossrails and small verticals, so we've been keeping the jumps low. I'm really fine with that. Shiny doesn't need to jump big jumps. She was really excited though, and was taking me to everything. I love when she's in that mood! Our vet was out Friday and he was able to squeeze her in for a shockwave treatment on her neck. It made a HUGE difference. When I rode her Saturday and Sunday, she didn't trip at all. Not even once. This week she has a few times, so it doesn't seem to hold that long, but still, she's in a better place than she was before the treatment. Doc says sometimes you have to do a few treatments before it really holds. So I'll probably do it again in a few weeks. She sees the body worker later this week too, so maybe that will also help. We missed a month because our lady was in Florida, so we're overdue for that. 

Eros got to jump outside for the first time this season on Thursday. I was pretty convinced he'd be a torpedo, but he actually wasn't too bad. I did have a little more horse than I really would have liked, but he was listening, and he didn't actually run away with me. So I'd call that a win! Our Tuesday flat lesson has shifted from 4 pm to 3pm which means that Eros doesn't get to eat dinner before it. Let me tell you. Boy has some FEELINGS about that. He's Eros, so he's still perfect, but he spends most of the hour trying to pull me out of the saddle. Which is downright hilarious. I mean, even the instructor laughs about it. That horse kills me. He's so funny. Even when he's "bad", he's not all that bad. I'm not sure if we'll be outside tomorrow or not for our lesson. It's been cold here again and really windy. So far this week, we've mostly been indoors. Doesn't really matter though, we'll have fun in either ring.

Al lessoned both Friday and Sunday last week. And guys, he was GREAT. Like so great. He was outside for both which definitely helps him. We jumped everything in the ring without the trainer having to do it first. He still gets a little spooky about things outside the arena, but he's pretty focused at the jumps. We didn't jump any really big fences, but we did a couple courses at 3' and then a few fences went up a little bigger for our last time around. I have some blurry screens shots to share:




I'm hugely relieved that I haven't completely ruined this horse. I guess he just hates winter even more than I do? I dunno. Regardless, I'm really happy to have this good boy back. He's even been fairly well behaved back indoors this week. We lesson again on Friday. Hopefully the good streak will continue.

That's really about it from here on the horsey front. How are things with you guys?


4 comments:

  1. Yay for Al! What a lovely jump he has <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. so exciting to see you and Al cruisin around again! and yay for no torpedo Eros lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hahaha! Life is much more pleasant sans torpedos!

      Delete