Wednesday, April 12, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 

I'm gonna start with Al this week because he deserves some positive press for once. (Seriously, the horse is so very nice. The issues are all mine.) Anyway, let's start with Al! We've been back indoors due to some wet and cold weather so that's removed one source of angst from our rides. I had my first lesson with the barn owner this week since she's back from Florida. I warned her about our current struggles and that my angst level was off the charts. I also introduced her to my emotional support water. (Joking. It's just regular water. Needed to wet my angst induced dry mouth problem.) ANYWAY. Back to my lesson. 

The lesson started right out with hard stuff for me... We had to work at the scary end of the ring while the vet was doing some flexions down at the other end. Our lesson partner is brave though, so we just followed him around and that worked out nicely. From there, we warmed up over a fence down at the not scary end. Also went well. But THEN. She wanted us to jump down the outside line heading toward the nightmare inducing far end of the ring. I said okay, but I'm scared! So we jumped in nicely, but then he kind of propped and I mostly froze up and allowed him to quit. We weren't even all the way at the jump yet. So trainer asked if I'd feel better if she did it first. And in full amateur level honesty I said oh yes. That would be ideal. I will do anything she does first. And so she hopped on and gave him a great ride. She didn't fight with him, but set very clear boundaries. He was receptive and did the scary thing a few times with minimal protest. Then I got back on and I did the line. First with the add and then the true number. Felt great. Nobody died. Counted that as a win. Then we jumped a little course which went well. Next, they added a new fence that was right on the rail. Prior to adding that, the fence was taken apart so we could flat on the rail. It was interesting because Al had a real issue with this magically appearing fence that he hadn't seen before. He tried to be a bad pony and quit, but your weenie heroine here put on her brave pants and made him go right to it and jump it. Then we went around and popped over it a few times, smoother each time. After that minor blip the jumps went up. Nothing crazy, but I think we actually got to 3' which was a huge relief to me. I was really starting to think I'd messed us up so badly we were destined for the 2' forever. But I'm happy to report, he rode great to the slightly bigger fences, and I actually rode him to them. So it was a great lesson overall, even if it wasn't an easy one. I had hoped to hop into a Sunday lesson to continue the good stuff, but forgot it was Easter so there weren't any. It's okay though. We'll jump again this Friday and then hopefully something on the weekend too. Time will tell. Friday will be outside this week, and so we'll have to see if I survive first. 

Eros has been his perfect self of course. Our lesson last week was a good one. He wasn't quite as easy and methodical as he was the week before, but he wasn't taking off anywhere either. We head outside for tomorrow's lesson and his first time jumping outside... so I imagine the turbo thrusters will be firing for that. Ha! He is who he is, ya know? But I'm excited to get out there and play over some fences with him. The outdoor ring is HUGE and if he decides to be good it's just so fun out there on him. He's flatted out there plenty this year, so I'm hoping he'll keep himself somewhat in check. Though I will be using the two ring and not the dee for this lesson. Just in case. He did the flat lesson this week on Tuesday, and was pretty funny. The barn manager is back from Florida so she taught us. There was a LOT of no stirrups, and zero walk breaks. Plus it was in the 70's which is a solid 20 degrees warmer than it's been around here. So E's quarter ran out about half way through. We toughed it out, but he was hilariously trying to pull me out of the saddle for much of the second half. 

Princess Shiny Pants wormed her way out of her lesson last week. She had a swollen hind leg when I took her out, but I got on and did the warm up portion of the lesson to see how she felt on it. She wasn't' very off, but I could feel a little something. So we quit early. I iced it, then she had her turnout before I iced it a second time. Then I wrapped it for the night. She was completely fine the next day. I have a working hypothesis about what might have happened... I suspect she was an ornery mare pony at breakfast time and probably kicked the wall a little too hard leaving a bit of a booboo. It tracks with her past behavior anyway. 

She's been tripping a bunch again lately. I noticed the last two times she had vet work done, she felt great for a few weeks, but reverts back pretty quickly to being stumble-y and stiff. I know injections don't wear off that quickly, but I'm wondering if I need to do a few rounds of shockwave to get a longer lasting result. We did her neck at her last appointment, and normally with shockwave you do a few sessions a week or two apart. But I completely forgot about that part, and didn't do it. So I'm going to get her on the list for doc's next visit and see what we get. At the end of the day, I think the main problem with her is her weight. She's really fat right now. I need to get her home and back on some less good hay to hopefully get some weight off her. 

I've been getting to ride some extras lately which is super fun. With all the horses back from Florida, and nearly every kid off on spring vacation, there's a LOT on the training ride list. So some of the sale horses have been available for flatting, which I'm loving. I'm pretty tired at the end of the day... but I love that. Gimme all the horses! Ha! 

Early morning on Easter Sunday, the resident preggo mare at the barn released her hostage. She had an ADORABLE little filly who is still nameless at the moment... I'll try to remember to snap a photo for you guys for next week. She's so cute. Mom and foal live across from Eros, and I think he was mildly traumatized witnessing his first baby being born. He was exhausted the next day and kept giving the side eye at the foaling stall. Poor buddy. I guess we should have had that chat about where babies come from. 

That catches you all up on my tall kid news. In short kid news, Pia had a great day today for her birthday. We even spent some time outside in the sunshine. 

Rita however...  I had her outside with me the other day in the backyard. I had a leash on her, but I wasn't holding it because she was staying with me. And when she wandered off, I tested her recall several times and it was 100%. Until... She meandered her way toward the walkouts on the barn, which is a suitable horse fence, but not for a tiny dog. And she went into the driveway. I went after her, calling her name, and she ignored me! She ran RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET! Thank goodness no cars were coming because we live on a busy road. I nearly died of a heart attack. I was able to catch her in my neighbors yard thankfully. And proceeded to lecture her all the way home about the importance of listening to her mother. Her freedom has been revoked however. She's already been hit by a car once (before I got her) so we're NOT going to allow that to happen again. These animals are giving me so much gray hair. I definitely need to schedule a hair appointment. 

So it's been fun and busy around here! How about with you all? Riding a lot? Is spring doing its thing where you live? 


2 comments:

  1. Yay that’s great news about the redeeming ride with Al, and hopefully a good sign in support of your plan to keep him there an extra month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think things are heading the right direction! We've had two good outside lessons with real jumps and no crying! haha!

      Delete