Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Truthful Tuesday

Ugh. This one is so hard for me to talk about... You all know I'm a (very) part time braider and hunter princess. Not a secret. So that's what makes this so hard...
Do you see it? Can you tell what it is? It's a little tough with the lighting in this photo, but I think you can still figure it out...
Jamp's mane is entirely on the wrong side. After many years of fighting to train that mane over, I've finally admitted defeat. I figure Jampy's show days are likely behind him, (he's not microchipped, so it will be a real conscious and annoying effort to get him to a show) and if not, it would be me braiding him anyway. So for his golden years, I've decided to allow him to wear his hair however he prefers. It's a real rite of passage for an old horse to be able to make his own hairstyle decisions. He doesn't get full rein though... I will still be keeping it at a reasonable length (most of the time).
I'm in charge now, Mom. -Jamp, probably
Also, please try and excuse his winter belly. Someone really needs to get back to work... That someone might be me, but it's also Jamp. He's always been a bit of a tough keeper though, so his being a little hefty this winter is actually kind of a nice change. Of course we'll be working to trim that up soon as I don't want him to be unhealthy.

What about you? Ever let a horse's mane run wild? Anything else you need to confess today?

11 comments:

  1. The top half of Opie's mane really wants to go left, but I will not let it defeat me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niko's hair is now parted perfectly in the middle and goes on both sides *head desk*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moe's mane is SO LONG right now! I need to pull it (because I hate it), but I figure he can wear it long until spring weather arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My new guy's mane is shameful... it flops to either side all willy-nilly. The middle was rubbed out, so sometimes he's got the front half on one side, the bottom half on the other side, and the middle portion is sticking straight up as it regrows. -___-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is like a braider's worst nightmare! Hopefully it will grow in quickly!

      Delete
  5. I learned to kinda give up on manes with Ramone. The horse had too many whorls in his neck that hair was all over the place and no matter what I did I couldn't fight it! Dante has 1 whorl that makes some of his hair stand up higher than others. It always makes it look like a pulled poorly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some manes just aren't meant to be tamed! My children's jumper had a mohawk. There was not training that either.

      Delete
  6. Why not just let it grow out if you're not showing? I prefer long, flowing manes and they're a lot less work than trimmed manes. I have been trying to train Levi's mane over to the correct side while it's growing out. Both Levi and Eugene came with theirs on the left. I didn't bother fixing Levi's before, but I figured I might as well right now. I'm really just hoping I don't have to shave it off again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hunter princess in me cannot with long manes... His mane gets kind of straggly too when it's long. Not very nice and flowy.
      I hope Levi's mane cooperates too!

      Delete