Monday, May 19, 2014

Monday, back so soon?

Oh Monday. Why must you arrive so quickly every week?! I swear it was Friday like 15 minutes ago.
So anyway... wanna hear about my weekend? Sure you do!

Friday evening Jampy had a routine doctor's appointment. He had a little sedation so while he was napping on the crossties, I gave Rio an extra good grooming. Aren't they the cutest?! By the time that was all done, it was pretty late, so I let Ducky have a vacation day.


Saturday was supposed to be rainy in the morning and nice in the afternoon, so I scheduled some errands for the morning. Turns out, it was gorgeous ALL DAY! Whoa. That never happens on the weekend! It was to be an easy day in the barn, as Jamp had the day off after his vet visit. Just a little hand walk for him (and Rio too of course!), and Ducky would work Saturday.

Ducky had other plans though... That little smarty pants. Things started out well. We walked around a few times to loosen up. Then went to the trot. After a few times around we changed directions. All was quite lovely! And then I asked for canter. And Ducky just stopped. Not like slowed down to a walk, but literally ceased all motion. No amount of squeezing, kicking, spurring, sticking would convince him to move his naughty little self. So we hung out for awhile:





I tried turning him right:


But he just looked at me and winked. Brat. At least I had a lovely view!





Eventually, he moved and I said good enough for today! I had lots more I wanted to do on such a beautiful day!

I had this great plan to take both puggers for a quick walk, and then drop P off and see how Artie feels about running. But it was around 80 degrees and after the walk they were both pooped. Somehow they talked me out of running all together.



Pugs are a terrible influence when it comes to getting exercise. TERRIBLE. I really REALLY need to get back into running as I saw myself in a bathing suit this weekend, and it wasn't pretty. Not at all. This week I need to suck it up and get back at it. NO MORE EXCUSES!
Although I do give myself credit for nearly running.


I even went as far as putting on the sneakers! Baby steps folks, baby steps.

The rest of Saturday was spent hanging with the sleepy pugs and being generally lazy.





You're never going to believe me, but Sunday was just as gorgeous Saturday! It was a bit cooler which meant perfect running weather. Alas, I did not do that again on Sunday. Seriously, this week it has to happen. HAS TO.

I spent most of Sunday with the tall four leggeds again. Jampy had a nice easy walk trot day (back to work for him today!) and Rio had a walk and some grass. And then there was Ducky. I decided on a different approach today. He started off nicely and walked around the ring, but the second I asked for trot he stopped. So I sat and waited. I brought my phone with the Kindle app downloaded and read while I sat there. After about 15 minutes, Ducky was bored and walked forward. I gave a little cluck as though I had asked for the forward motion, and then I made him stand again. Hey, I had a book to read, I didn't mind standing! After about 5 minutes, I asked him to walk. He declined. So I went back to reading. Eventually he walked forward on his own. I gave a little cluck and a little squeeze with my legs and then asked him to stop again. This continued for about an hour. While it was not terribly productive as far as fitness goes for either of us, I'm hoping it was useful mentally. I'll have to see tonight! I'll be sure to bring my book again, just in case.

I think the pugs were still pooped from their walk Saturday, and I was really getting into the book I was reading, so the remainder of Sunday we read and hung out together. Partially outside until it was chilly, and then on the couch.



It was really nice to get some time to just relax. I'm often really bad at free time as I know there is so much to get done around the house/farm. But I do think it's important to have some quiet time now and again. Thank goodness I have these terrible pug influencers in my life!


How was your weekend? Did you do anything fun? Get a run in? Take some time to relax?





No comments:

Post a Comment