Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Truthful Tuesday: The one with the baking fail

 

Now that my tall kids have moved out for the winter, Monday evenings are free for me. I cleaned most of the house over the weekend, so I decided to make some cookies this week. I had seen a video on Facebook of these super cute snow globe cookies and I was dying to make them. Guys. I was a little ambitious. Here's what I wanted to make:

Only I was doing mine with a blue theme for winter rather than Xmas. They really aren't that difficult to make other than needing some patience with decor. Plus I took the easy way out with dough mix and store bought icing. Things started out okay, although I did experiment some with the size of the cutout in the middle.
The bigger ones were better. Noted for next time. (If there is a next time.) The only part I wasn't so sure about was the Isomalt. Isomalt is this sugar stuff that you buy in hard candy form, then melt and pour where you need it. For these cookies it made the "glass" part for the cut out. 
Isomelt is in the glass measuring cup pre-melting.

This is where things went badly. I thought I could use wax paper underneath and it would peel right off. It did not. Epic fail. Fortunately, I had only poured it into these 8 cookies so I just cut out the Isomelt/wax paper and still had edible cookies. I do want to try again, I just need to do my homework as to what won't remain stuck to that stuff.
Not one to get too defeated, I still decorated a few of the cookies. Though my effort was pretty weak...

Lol. Definitely a fail on the snow globe cookies. But they still taste delicious! Next Monday I'll finally crack open that enormous can of pumpkin. I bought a frozen pie crust, so for sure making a pumpkin pie and probably some pumpkin bread and/or pumpkin cookies. We shall see!
You guys have any epic baking fails? Honestly, I think the fails are more entertaining than perfection anyway.

18 comments:

  1. I've had some pretty good baking fails over the years - I spent a solid year consistently murdering yeast while I learned to make bread.

    King Arthur Flour does a baking fail roundup on their blog, Flourish, every year for April Fool's - I highly recommend checking it out. Some of them are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'll definitely have to check that out! I have never tried bread. I'm not sure I have enough patience for it.

      Delete
  2. Try parchment paper. I learned in my own baking fail that wax paper and parchment paper are not the same...who knew LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Yes, I was reading (too late) that parchment paper works. I don't have any though, will have to get some!

      Delete
    2. late but parchment paper is your go to (ask us how we know) !HA

      Delete
  3. lol... 100% would still eat ;) and fwiw, baking is wayyyyy above my pay grade at this point, anything that needs precise measurements? ha, no. i'm still over here microwaving carrots and stuff lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I feel that. For some reason I prefer to bake rather than cook. Maybe because cake and cookies are better than meals?

      Delete
  4. The cookies are still cute and look tasty! I still think my favorite baking fail was when I tried to recreate some bourbon chocolate pecan pie we had at the restaurant. I know the alcohol is supposed to mostly burn off when you cook it, but my pie definitely could still get you a little buzzed hahahaha. Since I am not a big bourbon fan, I ended up letting my husband consume most of that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! That is HILARIOUS! I bet DH enjoyed it all the same!

      Delete
  5. I've been baking lately after purchasing a baking cookbook that appealed to me (written by someone I follow on ig). No fails yet (yay!) but they've been fairly uncomplicated things since I wanted to start easy. I've done oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, snickerdoodle cookies, and chocolate chip blondies. I'm sure I will fail one of these days though, lol.
    I bet your cookies were still tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet your house smells AMAZING these days! I think I got a little over confident as I have haven't had a good baking feel in quite awhile! Your cookies all sound delicious. Perhaps I should got back to more traditional ones likes those! haha!

      Delete
  6. Those look really cute!! I've been wondering about trying isomalt. All the cooking shows I watch (and true confession I watch far too many) use parchment or a silicone mat. I love your cookie cutter- where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I didn't do any homework and was like yeah this will totally work. It did not. The Isomalt was easy enough for this purpose (I didn't have to touch of shape it) but yeah... need some silicone or parchment paper next time. And would probably prefer to make my own icing. This one was more runny than I expected.
      Cookie cutter is from Amazon. It's actually two. One is snow globe shaped and then I got a set of round ones for the center. (I wasn't sure what size, so got a variety.)

      Delete
  7. They still look cute and I bet they were tasty!! Baking is not really my thing - I can do it if I take the time and think it through. My Mom makes all of these cool cakes and stuff, but I missed that gene, I think. Last year for a work cookie exchange I was making shortbread (literally the most basic recipe) and I was having a hard time. My hubby came over, saw in 2 seconds that I had tripled the recipe but didn't triple the amount of butter. *sigh* Once I got that fixed, things worked better. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious! I ate the entire batch already... Oops.

      Delete
  8. I mean if it is still edible AND it tastes good that's not a fail in my book.

    ReplyDelete