Wednesday, November 20, 2019

What's Up Wednesday

Since I was away for a few days, it wasn't a very horsey weekend! I was able to ride Thursday and Friday last week. I had a lesson on Eros on Thursday which went well. We were in a group with some younger kids, so the jumps stayed small, but we worked on lengthening and shortening within a line and did some nice bending lines too. He was perfect as usual!
Friday I had taken a half day from work so I could have plenty of time to ride and get packed for TX. We also thought the vet was coming, but turns out, that will be this Friday. So I'll have to see if I can be there for that. The nice thing about boarding though, is it's not the end of the world if I can't be. Plus this will just be an ultrasound I'm assuming, so it's not like Pammon will need to be ridden. Just held. I do hope to be there though, I much prefer getting my time with the vet face to face. In case you're wondering, the leg still looks horrifying. Ugh. Maybe it's one of those things that looks worse than it is? One can only hope. He continues to walk soundly on it. Horses are so weird.
Anyway, back to the recap! So Friday I flatted Shiny and Eros, and hand walked Pammon. Then went home to get packed. Such a chore packing! I always bring too much. Except this time! I wore everything I brought! (Pats self on back.)
We left at 8:30 Saturday morning, so no pony time that day unfortunately. Arrival in Cleburne, TX was around 2:30 I think.... I can't remember, but there's an hour difference which I had forgotten about and was really quite confused.
Pit stop in Portland, TN. I don't know what time it is. No idea.
We went straight to lunch since we were all starving. Food is good in TX you guys. Everything is hearty. From there we checked into the hotel, relaxed for a bit, and then were off to my cousin's house for the "rehearsal dinner". Which was really just all of us family catching up and eating catered BBQ. SO GOOD. Seriously. I ate so much in TX.
The person getting married (my reason for the trip) was my second cousin. His mom is my dad's niece. Up until MY nieces were born, she and I were the only girl cousins in the family. So we are like long lost sisters really. I haven't seen her in FOREVER, nor her brothers, so it was lots of fun to catch up. They're all hilarious. All of them. Being that we had the girls with us, we didn't stay too late, and I was in my bed by 9:45. I really know how to vacation you guys. #iamold
The wedding wasn't until 4 pm on Sunday, so we had some free time for the first half of the day. My one niece seems to be getting her molars in, so she was grumpy and they all stayed at the hotel. The older one enjoyed the pool with her mom, while the cranky one stayed in the room with my (generally also cranky) brother. That left me, dad, and stepmom. We did what any good tourists would do in TX. Went looking for tack stores. Tough thing was most places are closed Sunday morning for church. We finally found a place that sold western wear and boots, so we settled on that.

 My dad got himself a cowboy hat (those things are expensive you guys, like in the ballpark with my DeNiro boots expensive). He even wore it to the wedding, and yet somehow I forgot to take any photos. He looked great though. And I got myself these:
I can't wait to feature them on Thursday's threads one day soon! I mean... look at them! They're so pretty. Anyway, then it was time to eat again, and eventually get ready for the wedding. So this wedding... It was labeled as formal on the invite, BUT it was also outdoors. Not sure if you know, but it hasn't exactly been warm in TX lately. So I wasn't really sure how to dress. I finally decided to dress more cocktail attire, and bring layers. The ceremony was beautiful, and actually wasn't too cold, it made into the 60's thankfully before the sun went down!
Cousin photo! Missing was the bride and groom... details.
But you know... Then the sun went down. My layers helped, as did the wine, but truthfully everyone but wedding party was exiting by 9. I was a little bummed as I was looking forward to hanging with the family some more, but also just as happy to climb into bed at a reasonable hour. Overall, it was a lovely time, despite being outside in 48 degrees and a cocktail dress.
We had breakfast in the morning, and then flew home. It was a Monday, so instead of immediately going to check on my ponies (which took some restraint, believe me...) I instead headed home to unpack and straighten up the mess I left in my packing wake. Then picked up the pups and that was that. Last night I flatted Eros and Shiny and hand walked Pammon.
Pretty sure this will be how I go. Strangulation via equine.
He likes to help. He also made a friend through the window:
Tonight I have my first lesson (ever!) on Shiny. I signed up to ride with an older adult who jumps pretty small, so hopefully it's the right group. It's with the assistant trainer, so it should be lots of fun!
So that's it for me for the past week. What have all of you been up to? Any lessons or shows? Do any shopping? Let's catch up in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. This week I did nothing. It snowed. I scooped poop and hauled hay. It snowed more. I continued doing nothing. I am not enjoying this early start to snow season. It's actually so warm today that everything is melting and we are getting to enjoy a second mud season with snow as the cherry on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's WAY TOO early for snow. And even more so for mud season, that's not supposed to be until April! Hope things dry up and stay warmish for you.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a great weekend. I hope that Pammon gets a good review from the vet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun!
      Thank you, I hope so too, but I'm prepared for bad news.

      Delete
  3. Cool trip to TX! Shopping at a western store somewhere like that is on my bucket list for sure.

    My week has been all about trying to get back to my regular schedule after being away for 10 days. I'd like to just be permanently on vacation I think and I'm pondering why I live somewhere so damn cold! I'd like to be in FL part of the year and here part of the year!

    Hope the vet visit gives you some info/updates on that leg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! I'd love to winter in FL and spend the rest of my time here in CT.
      Thank you, fingers crossed for a better report that I'm expecting...

      Delete