Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Truthful Tuesday: The one where we move

Well, we made the big move on Saturday morning! It was ridiculously cold (in the low 20's), and my trailer doors were all frozen shut from the rain the day before. So that was interesting. But we made it over safe and sound. I was pretty amped up about hauling since it's been so long since I've towed horses anywhere. Like YEARS we're talking here. I pulled my empty trailer home about a year and a half ago, and that's the last time I've hauled anything, let alone horses. So due to said angst, I forgot to get any fun photos of the ponies in the trailer. Probably also because it was effing cold out.


I think the kids are settling in okay. I had a couple bumps in the road on Sunday with the staff, but these things happen when you're first moving in. First, when I went to take Pammon out, his wraps were off. I had told the assistant trainer he needs to be wrapped 24/7, but she's off on Sundays. And the Sunday staff is different than the rest of the week, so I'm guessing they just didn't get the memo. I'm sure no harm done as I was there early to put them back on. I can't imagine his leg can get much worse than it already is anyway. The other issue was that Shiny almost didn't get turned out Sunday. She hadn't been added to the turnout board yet, and since Sunday's people are different, no one was paying attention. I mentioned to the barn owner/head trainer and she said AT was redoing the board Tuesday morning. Then made a comment that it's different juggling 40 horses than two. And I made one back that I am aware being I used to manage a stable of 60. Eye roll. The care really is wonderful at this barn once you get into the routine. So I'm not too worked up about these things yet. But those comments drive me bananas. Don't be rude. It's my job as an owner to look out for my horse. It's her job as the one in charge to make sure things happen that are supposed to. But we all know we have a personality clash me and her, so I'm trying to be the bigger person. And my horses are only there for a few months. And the indoor is so lovely with great footing.
So that's the update, but there's not much of a confession in there... other than my shipping angst. I have two actual confessions. The first is that when I was in my barn after the horses moved (had some laundry to do) I got a little sad. I've never not had horses in the barn. There were some times over the years that there was only one horse, and when that happened it was always just Rio. And well... I had a moment. It just feels weird, and really made me miss him. I think having the others to take care of has kept me reasonably distracted. But now it's just really apparent that Rio's not around. Well, no one's around! Weird. And lonely. But it will be worth it when my horses are fit and ready to go come spring time! (Hopefully in the case of Pammon anyway.)
My other confession is that I really didn't use my new found free time very wisely the first day. I was all done with the horses by around 3:30. I was a little productive in that I got the trailer cleaned out and put away. I also put some laundry in and then ran out for a very late lunch (or maybe early dinner, whatever). But after that? I just hung out with the pugs and played around with some photo apps the rest of the day. Talk about lazy! The apps are fun though, I made some floating pony portraits:

So those are my confessions for today! Anything you need to get off your back?

7 comments:

  1. congrats on getting everything moved more or less smoothly, despite the weather! and yea that's super frustrating about the sunday staff not being made aware of the new changes. i get that barn mgmt is complex, but horses come and go and there should be practices in place for information-sharing. my barn is kinda the same sometimes with the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, and mgmt not necessarily doing much to address that. it's... yea, frustrating. but the good outweighs the bad so we stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's just moving pains I'm sure. No place is perfect (not even my own!) so I know things will settle in soon.

      Delete
  2. Happy everyone got moved and they are mostly settled. Hopefully mgmt will get everything sorted out and in the next couple of days everything will be perfect.

    I'm really feeling you on the empty barn (or, at least empty stall). I'll keep my confessions as as light as possible and keep the depression for my blog right now. But, in light of all the depression, I'm coping by drinking a lot of lattes (and coffee but as I make that at home, it doesn't count). But, for the first few days, a trip to buy a latte was pretty much WHAT got me out of the house. So, that's my confession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's those little things right? And hey, props to you for drinking lattes and not wine!
      Can you drop your URL for me? I follow you on instagram, but I'm not following your blog and would like to be!

      Delete
    2. Wine sounds good but between near constant migraines and stress, I figure I’ll only feel worse.

      Blog is threechestnuts.com

      Delete
  3. It would be a big adjustment to not have horses in the barn. But this will be good for you over the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! I'm trying to appreciate the convenience rather than wallow on the less good parts.

      Delete