Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Truthful Tuesday

I'm going to try not to make too many sad posts about losing Jampy, so hopefully this is the last sad one, and hopefully it's not too sad. I want to write a good long post about him and his life with me, but I need some time to sit down and do that justice. And I'm currently in a fight with Google Drive trying to get photos uploaded to use for that. Geeze blogger, throw me a bone here!

That time he pretended he was a unicorn...

So today, I just want to say that while I'm still really sad, I also feel a lot of love coming from every corner of my life. I have friends that do the sweetest things.

came home to flowers and homemade chocolate chip cookies last night.
 I've received cards and flowers, more texts than I can count, comments on my last blog post, my Facebook post, my Instagram post... I could go on and on. And it all means so very much to me.

Everyone's kind words. BOTH my vets letting me know I did right by him. All those things I really needed to hear, I heard.

Rio seems to be doing just fine on his own which is a huge relief.
Just us two, learning our new normal
 I'm not sure if he has no idea or if he and Jamp had a heart to heart that last day. But whatever the reason, he's doing just fine. Eating, drinking, pooping, peeing. Snuggling. This:
I'm still trying to decide what to do next. Originally, I figured if he was ok alone, I'd just wait until I found my next horse. But that next horse will (hopefully) be a show horse, and that would mean Rio would be alone often. So now I'm thinking maybe I get a low maintenance pony of some sort. Maybe something my nieces could sit on safely. Still going to have to work all that out. Fortunately, Rio is allowing me time for that. Such a good unicorn he is.

And lastly, I wanted to thank all of you for reaching out and supporting me (and Rio) through this sad time. This community of horse bloggers really is something special. And I'm so glad to be a part of it.

15 comments:

  1. Ugh my heart is just broken for you but I'm glad that Rio seems ok and that he's there to help you through this. There's no doubt that you absolutely did the right thing for Jamp. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything or just want to talk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww <3 i'm so glad you are feeling the love and support, and relieved that Rio is doing well too

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in your situation, I ended up getting a mini donkey. They're a little tougher than horses/ponies and have tons of personality. Not sure how one would do with your limited turnout, though. Mine loved to run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider a donkey. But I have a neighbor who complains about barking dogs, so I'm pretty sure a braying donkey might not go over well...

      Delete
  4. I'm glad Rio is adjusting ok. And you know, take as many posts as you need to work through this - I found my blog so cathartic when I put Carlos down and it really helped me explore and continue to explore the complex emotions I felt and continue to feel. Let it run it's course no matter how many words or how much time it takes. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely tough to process. I really didn't see it coming, so I think that's part of it. I have a few more posts planned, I just intend for them to be happy remembrances rather than sad diatribes. We'll see how it plays out though I guess!

      Delete
  5. get a sound pony if you can (or at least one that you don't have to stress over cough cough Tate)!! i am so glad we could all help you over this horrible time. And glad Rio is okay (well as okay as Rio can be) HA!

    I agree something just to keep Rio company and if your nieces can ride too great. I suggest getting a 14 hand pony or so so you can hop on as well! WHY?? Because having a tiny pony that no one but a kid to ride is no fun (ASK ME HOW I KNOW) HA! If Tate had been 14.2 i would have thrown shoes on him and rode him! HA

    hugs to you as I am sure it is still very hard for you to see his empty stall!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely something I can sit on, but also something I don't HAVE to sit on all the time. I can sort of fit on a big medium as long as it's bigger bodied, but I'd prefer a large. And yes, sound, no previous founder issues, not too old, not too young. It's quite a list! Haha!
      Thank you, it is. I still have his nameplate up and his halter hanging there. I haven't figured out what to do with everything. I'm going to wash all of his blankets this weekend and put them away. So probably I'll just keep the halter with that stuff for now.
      And then there's all the other stuff. I was able to return any unused meds. But I have half a truckload of hay just about that Rio can't eat, a whole bucket of perfect prep powder I had opened but never used in anticipation of getting him back to work... Sigh. Plenty to keep my busy I guess.

      Delete
    2. i wish i was close enough to buy your hay!! Keep busy is the name of the game!! :)

      Delete
  6. The love and support from others can really help. I agree with L- I found writing helpful when I lost my horse. I love the idea of a pony/small horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps a ton, both the support and the writing.
      I think a little one with some manners already installed would be a lot of fun!

      Delete
  7. Writing can be very helpful - glad you have these forums to share with us. I love my mini - the big horses are pretty attached to him. Something to consider when you are ready. Good to hear that Rio is ok so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too, this is a wonderful community.
      I would LOVE to have a mini, but I'd have to make a lot of changes to the farm to make it work. So I'll probably get a bigger pony of some kind.

      Delete