Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Truthful Tuesday

I have a couple confessions this week... We'll start with the big one, because I can admit when I'm wrong. I cannot continue to blame the trainer at Eros' barn for his lameness. The vet was out Friday, and what we discovered is that he has a shoeing issue. Now, it does concern me a bit that trainer couldn't tell the horse was lame... but that's a different problem, and if you don't know a horse, it's sometimes hard to tell what their normal is.

I'm not sure if you all remember back at Thanksgiving when Eros' pulled  a shoe. When that happened, he also lost a good chunk of his hoof wall. It wasn't a real issue, he was sound, and the farrier had enough hoof to nail a shoe on, but it became a problem.

When we did the pre-purchase exam on Eros, he did flex positive on his right front, but we aren't exactly sure why. It's the same sort of flexion that a horse with navicular changes would trot off positive, but his navicular bone is perfect on the x-rays. It's a bit of a head scratcher. Anyway, after he lost the shoe, and farrier had to do his best with what he had to work with, the toe wound up getting a bit too long, and the heels compressed some too.
on the left is his x-ray from Friday, and the one on the right was from the pre-purchase. Note all that extra toe on the recent x-ray
He also wound up with more pressure on one side of his foot.
again, new on left, older on right
You can see how crooked his leg is sitting right now. Fortunately, my farrier and my vet have a good working relationship and we should have him straightened out (literally, no pun intended!) in no time. Doc pulled the shoe Friday, and said to wrap it with some animalintex poultice for a couple days, (handwalking ok) and then have the shoe put back on in another day or two. He went on some meds as well, which he will stay on for a few weeks while things are moving back to where they're supposed to be. Shoe went on yesterday, so I'm allowed to hop on tonight and see what we have. No miracles expected yet of course, but there should hopefully be some improvement already.

It's one of those things where it sucks that it happened, but I'm kind of glad it did because now we know what to keep an eye on with him. He does have some kind of mystery achilles heel in the right front, so we need to pay extra attention to keeping it comfortable. Lesson learned! Sorry to Eros for having to learn that the hard way. Poor dude.

Confession number two is that I always told people I didn't like Indian food, but it turns out I just never really gave it a chance. My brother and I met up with our cousins from California on Saturday night (my little cousin was interviewing at Uconn!) for dinner. They picked an Indian restaurant and I was a little dreading that. But my bestie gave me a recommendation for something she thought I'd like, and it was delicious. Like I can't wait to eat it again delicious. So I have to eat my words (lol, that pun is intended) when it comes to disliking Indian food for the last 30 somewhat years. My bad.

Anything you need to confess today? Have you had a similar issue with any of your horses? Thoughts on Indian food?

21 comments:

  1. i hate the smell of curry so can't even go into Indian food restaurant. BLECH. Mark can only have curry when he is home alone and i am away for a week or more LOL! how much truth is that? :)

    Glad you figured out Eros's issues but yeah i am still a bit irritated for you....hopefully he is fine....

    Is it cold there? IT Is FREEZING here and I think it is heading your way wrap those pugs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not a curry fan either. Hence why I thought I hated Indian food. But there's a ton of delicious things that aren't curry. Who knew?
      It's pretty cold here... high 20's low 30's. Thursday though... the high will be 5. Ugh.

      Delete
  2. Indian food is my second favorite, only behind Mexican. I eat it like once a week!

    Glad you've got Eros' issues figured out. I think we've all been there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mexican is definitely my favorite too! If I ever come to TX, we should get food.
      Thanks! I'm glad too. And a little guilty for laying blame where it didn't really belong. Oops.

      Delete
  3. The high here tomorrow is -7 with 20-30 mph winds and low of -17. Not normal for my area and I'm definitely worried about my horses at home in particular.

    Glad you got answers on Eros and the plan is in action. Hope he feels better shortly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cold is unreal. Do you think your guys could handle being in the barn for a day or two? I think if you get it closed up, it should stay fairly comfortable for them. Thinking of you guys!
      (And thank you about Eros!)

      Delete
    2. Stampede can get a bit fruity about being contained (despite the double stall) while P is happy as long as there is food, lol. I'm thinking I might move their porta-grazers into the aisle during the day so they can eat inside or outside but still feel like they got out of their stalls. We shall see how it really feels when the time comes and what direction the wind is since my barn door is on the east side. They've already been spending a lot of time in the barn today and it currently feels like -4. Not a good week to be a pony.

      Delete
  4. Lol @ the Indian food thing. That was me with sushi. I grew up in a cornfield and thought I didn't like it. Tried it, changed my mind, and I now can't get enough of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sushi is so good! Isn't it funny, the whole trying new things thing? I could learn a lot from my 5 year old niece... haha

      Delete
  5. My dad refused to try Indian food because he hates curry. I finally got him to try it, and he cleaned his plate, but he still won't admit it was good. Stubborn old man ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was it butter chicken? Because that is always the best dish to introduce people to Indian food.

    Also glad you guys got down to what was going on with Eros, my fingers are crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it was Chicken Khorma (I think that's how it was spelled). It was SO GOOD!
      Thanks on Eros!

      Delete
  7. while i'm sure you'd prefer having more definitive answers about the hoof, it must be some what of a relief to know that hopefully he can be kept nice and comfy with just a little extra careful farriery!! oh and indian? my FAVORITE <3 mmmm lamb vindaloo....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely happy we're moving in the right direction. Hopefully we'll have him all fixed up soon!

      Delete
  8. Glad you got some answers about Eros - hopefully he is moving better for you soon! I love curry, but prefer thai over Indian typically. Although butter chicken is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping so too.
      I LOVE Thai food! But I'm not a big curry fan.

      Delete
  9. Dang I am so sorry you are going through this with Eros. You are handling it so well too- I'd be so freaking frustrated. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery! P.S. I totally get you about Indian food- it's hit or miss for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I handled it all that well initially... but now that we have a plan I'm feeling less annoyed about the whole thing. It is frustrating having three horses and nothing to really ride though!

      Delete