Wednesday, October 31, 2018

What's Up Wednesday

This is a really light media post... sorry friends. But I'll try not to get too wordy!
It's getting dark so early and quickly now, that my Wednesday rides on Eddie are going to have to end soon. Last week, I changed at work and headed straight there. Eddie's mom had him all tacked up and ready to go for me, and it still was dark before we could get to jump anything. Boo. I think we're going to try tonight for one last weeknight ride, but with the clocks changing, this will definitely be it.
Thursday I finally had my second lesson on Eros. I was honestly a little nervous since the first time jumping didn't go exceptionally well for us. Last time I had him in a happy mouth two-ring, but this time I just used a happy mouth "D". He doesn't seem to like metal bits very much, but that's ok with me. I have an assortment of happy mouth bits.
Anyway, this time went a lot better. He's been a little resistant to get round and use his back with me on the flat, and we didn't totally solve that, but we made some progress. And then we moved on to jumping. Trainer J started slowly since that's sort of what I need right now. We just cantered a figure 8 over a couple of small jumps. Funny, when I just let him canter the distances seem to work out just fine. He even is accepting of my wanting to adjust when I'm not all up in his face all the time. Imagine that? Riding correctly doesn't piss off my horse? So weird. We moved on from the figure eight to jumping some small courses. We weren't perfect by any means, and the jumps stayed pretty tiny, but I think there's hope for us!
Friday I had a day off from riding. Normally, I would go do Eros, but the barn was hosting a haunted hay ride, and it was pretty intense! Thus, the ring closed at 6:30 before the chaos started. After grooming the boys at home though, I headed over there to take a ride on the hay wagon. You guys, it was great! My fellow barn rats over there did a great job. I was supposed to be a part of it on Saturday night, but it wound up getting rained out.
Speaking of rainy Saturdays... I didn't get to ride Eddie since it POURED all day long. I did ride Eros though, and he was actually kind of fresh! First time for everything I suppose. He wasn't bad at all, just a little looky at random things.
Also, I had to get dog food, and when I got to the store, I was handed a puppy.
They were having an adoption event and had this little dude, two of his siblings, and a couple of older dogs. I'm not sure if they all got homes or not, but it sure was fun to snuggle this pup for a bit! (No, I didn't take him home!)
You already know how I spent Saturday night if you read Truthful Tuesday. Thai food and pug snuggles was perfect!
Sunday was back to the normal busy. I started with Eros in the morning. He was over his "wild" fit from the day before and was his usual perfect self. Next I did my boys. They both had a little hand walk outside finally, and also had nice curries.
Some angles Rio looks gross skinny, and others he looks like this. So odd.

Jampy is starting to fill back out again finally.
We were waiting with Eddie for the ring to dry out as much as possible, so I headed there at 3:30. It was a little too wet and muddy to jump, so we had another flat ride. But it was productive at least.
The rest of the evening was spent adulting, mostly doing laundry and straightening up the house. Boring.
So far this week has been pretty normal. I tried to walk Jampy outside after work Monday, but he wasn't having it. So inside walkies it was. Rio was perfect. He's not afraid of shadows or the dark. Though he was a bit sassy! He kept getting behind me and shaking his head like he was about to start trouble. He didn't of course, but it was pretty cute to see him feeling good.
Last night I stopped home after work to feed the boys and get changed, and then went to ride Eros. I wound up being there awhile because when I got on a jumping lesson was happening. The indoor is a nice size and all, but it's pretty impossible to try and ride around someone jumping a course. So Eros and I hung out and watched, then continued our ride when the lesson was over. He's such a patient dude!
I had planned to just give the boys at home a nice brushing in their stalls last night, but when I went to pick Jamp's feet I noticed this:
Yep, that's an enormous swollen lump in the high suspensory area. I know what you're thinking... How? He's basically on stall rest! But some marks on the wall suggest maybe he got cast. I decided to take him out and see him walk just in case he like broke it or something. But he walked mostly fine on it, so I don't think it's anything too serious. He has a vet appointment Friday anyway, so I'll have it checked out then. I slapped an ice boot on it while I took care of Rio, and then got him all wrapped up for the night. I'll see what it looks like at lunch today.
In other exciting news, I'm actually getting a generator installed finally! After enough storms with no water or heat for days, enough was enough. This bad boy will run the entire farm and will turn itself on and off on its own. I'm hopeful that once I have it, I will never need it. But Mother Nature is pretty angry lately, so I'm sure it will come in handy.
But you know how things can't just go smoothly right? Here's how this generator thing is going. I got home at lunch time last Tuesday to find a stranger with a russian accent wandering around my driveway. Um... "Hi?" Then he told me he was working on the site work for the generator and I was like ohhhh, ok, well no one told me you were coming. But that's fine. He was looking for an outlet, so I found him one and all was fine. But isn't it customary to let a homeowner know you'd be doing work?
Anyway, I go back to work, all is fine. Then my friend who rents the apartment calls me as I'm driving home and is all what happened to your car port?! And I'm like uh? It was fine at lunch! Well I get home and there's a trench dug from the house to the guest house, through my carport. Also totally fine, but like tell me you're digging up my yard? Also, I spent almost a grand having that carport redone about a year and a half ago (after my car got stuck in it). So I'm not thrilled I'm probably going to have to do that again... But whatever, worth it for power in a black out, right? Sure.
Things are going fine other wise, until Friday. Friday I get home from work, and they've left the gate open. I find that SUPER annoying, because it's a horse farm, and my property is right up against a very busy state road. And I can't close the gate from the driveway side because of the trench still in front of it. (Yep, so if my horse got loose, and went out that open gate, he'd have fallen in a trench. Thank goodness no one got loose!)
Alright, whatever, I went and threw the boys hay, and then went around to close the gate. Know what  I found? My basement hatch wide open, the door into my basement wide open, and all the lights on down there. So who knows what kind of wildlife was down there, or if I'd been robbed blind while I was gone. I was PISSED to say the least. What worker in his right mind, thinks it's perfectly fine to leave a house wide open with all the lights on?! What if I wasn't coming home that night? Or the rain had started early? Needless to say he got an earful. That hasn't happened again, although the gate was left open again last night. I really can't wait for this to just be finished.
And that's what's up this Wednesday! Other than the aggravation from the electricians and a little too much rain, it was a decent week. I'm looking forward to another lesson Thursday and a semi quiet weekend ahead I think. How was your last week/weekend? Do anything fun?

8 comments:

  1. OH geeze you'd think they would have communicated the work with you. What is wrong with people and communication these days? Also how you left that event without taking a dog is amazing. Super will power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. So frustrated with these guys! Hopefully they'll be done soon.
      Well, I have two dogs already and I don't think P wants any more siblings. Haha!

      Delete
  2. Crazy they didnt tell you they were digging that trench!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I know! Or you know, that they were starting work?

      Delete
  3. omg that is so idiotic those people leaving shit open and messing up your yard without telling you. UGH.....and why not the puppy? you could have gotten him or her and send to me> Jeez!!

    Yes this time change will be great in the am but suck suck suck at night :( ICK. Glad Eros is doing okay.....and you are getting lots of riding time!! Hope all is okay with Jamp....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to never have to use this company again. They leave lights on and gates open every single day. Who raised them?! Wolves?
      No more puppies!
      Jamp seems to be ok, the swelling was a little better today. Vet comes tomorrow anyway, so I'll know more then.

      Delete
  4. I love having a generator. It kicked on in a big storm we had a few weeks ago. I love how it is completely automatic and I don't have to do anything. My dad is an electrician and installs a lot of generators and he'd probably fire his employees for leaving a house like yours. I hope it gets done soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to love it too! No more waterless weeks in the dark!
      And yeah, that was really unacceptable of them.

      Delete