Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Truthful Tuesday

I mentioned last week about getting a whole, brand new wardrobe for Eros. It was good timing because the barn blankets all come from Smartpak and they were offering free embroidery at the time. So I followed the links the trainer sent me and ordered all the blankets and sheets. Or so I thought.
I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention because somehow, I ordered two heavy stable blankets and zero heavy turnout blankets. Um... oops? Although, I guess if I had to make that error, it's better (and cheaper) to have a back up stable blanket than turnout. This way, I can launder one while he still has one to wear. Since I had our last name embroidered on everything, I can't return either of them.
I felt so badly though. It wasn't my own money I was throwing away like that, it was my dad's. I fessed up though... Kind of had to, since I still had to order a turnout. He didn't mind, luckily!

The stable blanket that the barn likes is the Amigo. I like how they do things with that brand. They have this one blanket, that you can get in three different weights. So they would all match! (Barn only required the heavy, they like Baker sheets (UGH, I hate them) and I guess they go right to the heavy when it gets cold and then add a sheet under when it's super cold. But I digress... My point is, I wish the Amigo came in green so I could do those at my barn. I would love to have all matching stuff in different weights. I had Beval's blankets for my horses at home. They came exactly in my barn colors and were available in pony and horse sizes. At the time when I first brought every one home I had a medium pony and three full sized horses. So I was super excited to be able to clothe them all in the same outfits. Unfortunately, Beval stopped making the blankets in my colors. And now, ten years later, stuff is needing to get replaced. Custom blankets are so expensive I don't want to go that route. Fortunately, my stuff has another season or so left in it... hopefully. The stable stuff anyway, as you saw last week, I've started replacing turnouts.

Have you ever ordered the wrong thing and not been able to return it? I felt like such a goon when I realized my error.
Do you think matching horse clothes is completely ridiculous? But also, kind of nice at the same time?

18 comments:

  1. i have three purple amigos ;) HA....i never personalize anything because of this fear of not returning. Amigos fit Remus great. I love them. i have a 100 gram and two sheets (all purple yes i have issues)....My point is they last forever and they wash well. And i never buy stable blankets but if i did i would totally buy more than one those things get nasty :) LOL on you only buying certain colors to match your barn stuff :) I do have other colors as well i think he has a navy one(old schneiders that is still kicking after being repaired a thousand and one times) and some others. Still need to do inventory :) HA and find someone who washes and repairs down here :)

    PS not a Baker fan either ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured personalizing was needed at the boarding barn. There's something like 60 horses there, all wearing the exact same outfits!

      Delete
  2. While I adore matchy matchy, I wouldn't like being told I HAD to buy the coordinating stuff. The embroidery was a good call, though, because otherwise all that matching stuff has a good chance of being mixed up. And I have no luck whatsoever, so my brand new stuff would accidentally get swapped with someone's ripped old stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what I was thinking too! Definitely wanted my name on there permanently.
      I think I'd be more bothered if I already had blankets for him, but I didn't. And also, if they were something very expensive. But the required blankets were all reasonably priced and good quality, so I didn't let it get to me. (Also, I dind't actually have to buy them!)

      Delete
  3. Henry's sheet and blanket are both the same color, which I actually DIDN'T want, because I think it's easier for the barn help to quickly and accurately differentiate between them when they're not the same color at all. But it's been fine. Also I wrote "SHEET" on one and "BLANKET" on the other, soo...

    If I kept my horses at home, I'd totally want everything to match, because I'm a crazy person like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your labeling method! Lol!
      I think it was with similar reasoning why they want everyone using the same stuff. The sheets are all baker plaid, and then the blankets are all the same navy one. So it's either plaid or blue I guess. The turnouts might be trickier... we'll have to see how that plays out.
      It was SO WEIRD for me to not buy green stuff. So weird.

      Delete
  4. I had to order a new turnout sheet because Niko grew out of the one I bought him last year, but didn't grow enough to fit into my nearly-new Rambo's. *face palm*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd totally buy matching sheets/turnouts if I could. Each horse would have a set in different shades of green! *sigh* I never seem to be able to find colours I want AND I never seem to have enough money to buy 1 set of everything in one go - I just add to the blanket collection as I go.

    Putting names on the blankets sounds like a great idea at a big boarding barn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if I had hit the mega millions jackpot, I'd have gone full out custom for all! But alas, I did not... Usually when I'm footing the bill it's not all at the same time either. I replace as the blankets die these days.

      Delete
  6. I always feel sooo guilty when I make a mistake, its hard to let that stuff go and forgive yourself. I've never had an Amigo blanket, I had a sheet that didn't live very long with my destructo horse. The baker's I've had have always held up well (but they are freakin stiff - I guess for a reason)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New guy seems pretty easy on his stuff. So hopefully the Amigo will hold up! But then again... I have an extra now, so I guess we're covered either way!
      My junior hunter destroyed his bakers back in the day. I just feel like they only fit one certain type of horse properly. And it's rarely the one I own!

      Delete
  7. My horse and pony don't have matching clothes. Dex has a Rambo Wug turnout sheet that I just got this year, a Rhino wug turnout that's a medium weight and a heavy weight Smartpak blanket. He also has a stable blanket. Since they live at home and live outdoors, I don't worry too much about matching. I just buy what I like and what fits well. Dex will probably get a medium weight Rambo wug this year since his Rhino is starting to show wear and I can get one at a really good discount since I work at the tack store.

    Embroidery was a good call with everyone having the same blankets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I worked at a tack store, I wouldn't be able to afford groceries...
      Thanks! I thought a permanent label would be a good idea too!

      Delete
  8. I feel kind of bad. I bought matching SmartPak turnouts in light and heavy for my gelding 2 years ago. Luckily when I traded him with my trainer for my now mare, they fit her. We had to buy turnouts for hubby's horse this year and we got 2 different brands because we were in rush. He doesn't care but it makes me squirm a wee bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I feel you! The horses never seem to care as long as we put the right weight on at the right time.

      Delete
  9. I like to get my three matching blankets. So all their lights, heavies and mediums and stable blankets all match each other lol

    ReplyDelete