Wednesday, June 26, 2024

What's Up Wednesday

 


Okay, I gotta start right away with Al. Like IMMEDIATELY. 

Maybe he wants to be a hunter with those pointy toes

Guys. We're not quite two weeks out from when we started the Misoprostol for his gut. And I have to tell you. I've been cautious with my optimism because sometimes Al is a good non spooky boy. Rarely. But it happens. But we've consistently had spook free rides now for a week. A WEEK. With no spooks. He looks at stuff. He is who he is. But he's not reacting. He no longer feels like he has an electrical current running through him. I've been able to get on and actually ride him. Like ask for stuff. And get a response other than angst. I am hoping SO HARD that this really is the fix. And honestly, I've never ridden him quite like this. Like ever. So he's probably had hind gut ulcers since I imported him. 

Hopefully fixed the tummy, but have not fixed the ears... lol!

I popped him over a handful of small jumps today, 2'3" and smaller. And he was taking me to them. He even rooted a few times, which is rude and not okay, but I was so excited that he was that excited. And honestly, he was probably right because I was more likely than not, pulling on him for no reason. (We all have flaws, okay??) He just genuinely seemed happy to be doing fun things. When I put my leg on, he moved off it. Like OFF it! I made a lot of mistakes because I have to relearn how to ride listening Al. I've never really ridden him before. But I'm so excited to figure this new version out. Praying to the gods of horse stomachs that this really is the answer and we can get back to enjoying each other and our work together.

I know he looks mad, but he's just thinking. 
That's his thinking face.

Yesterday he walked around completely on the buckle and I never felt impending doom. Not once. Like I felt safe on him. Which.... I've never fully felt that way on him. He's kind of an awkward shape so I don't feel like I can hold on to him as well as some of the others with my stubby legs. So with the electric feeling he's had the last many months, I never truly felt like I wasn't at least a little in danger. But the past several days we've both felt pretty zen out in the arena. And it's a lovely feeling. I can't tell you how much I'm hoping this lasts. For both of us. 


Eros is feeling pretty good too! He's still a little reluctant to bend right, but it's getting better. Some days are softer than others. He feels solid though. And yesterday I had some really lovely moments in canter. I wasn't able to recreate it today, but it was hot and humid today, and Eros with his dad bod has a little bit of a harder time in the heat. Nothing alarming, and he sweats well, but I can feel him fatigue a little quicker than the others. So I shortened our ride some, and didn't press super hard for things that are tough for him. We're getting some crazy storms here right now which should cool things off for tomorrow anyway. I'm getting really itchy to start him over some little jumps, but I've waited this long, and obviously will not jump him before it's time in his rehab schedule. We're close though! SO CLOSE! 


Shiny's feeling great too! I think she may have actually lost a little bit of weight. A little. Not enough as I'm very impatient with these things. But I'll take something. She's been jumping great, and is probably ready to jump a little bigger. Maybe Friday we'll make a couple bigger. I'm still having a little trouble getting the engine revved, but it's funny, once I give her harder things to do, she kind of perks up and rises to the occasion. She really seems to like making tighter turns, she gets very excited for that! Perhaps she wants to be a jumper! Which would be good since she still lacks a lead change. 


Despite being a little under powered, she feels really supple. It's so much easier for her to bend her body and lift her core these days. Not sure if that's from the EPM meds, or the weight loss (which is minimal, truly, so I don't think it's that...) but whatever it's from, I'm enjoying it!

So things are going well with the horses! In other (still horsey) news I actually had a braiding job this week which was lovely! The horse was showing Sunday, leaving for the show at 6:30. He lives in a stall with a dutch door, and the trainer didn't want the door closed, so I was reluctant to do him the night before. Dutch doors are braid killers. Trust me. I know this. I had really wanted to start chores at home early so I could make it to my town's farmer's market before everything sold out. So I decided to do the mane early in the morning. I could get more sleep that way, and he would have less time to rub. I'll tell you though, I'm getting pretty old for the 3 am wake up! 


The horse was mostly a good boy, but the bugs were biting. Not just him. So he was a little busy. Took me a little longer than it needed to, but I was done in plenty of time so all good! I made it home well before 6 and just go to work in the barn. Got the chores done by 10:30 which was perfect to scoot over to the market. Which... I can spend some serious money on local cheese and bread. #worthit. Good thing I braided that mane. Haha! Anyway, after the market, I had brunch with Rita before heading back out to the barn to ride. I was pretty useless come Monday though. That Sunday wiped me right out. It was a lovely day, just a long one. 

That's about it from here. How was your week? How are things with your horses? 




2 comments:

  1. HOW did you get all that hair into such perfect little braids???? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cal update makes me so happy! That he had ulcers from the trek over makes perfect sense. I’m excited to see your progress with him now.

    ReplyDelete