Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Truthful Tuesday: The one where I almost waited too long to ask a question

Last week I got a very exciting call that my new trailer has arrived! Woohoo! Fortunately, prior to scheduling my picking it up, I remembered to ask a few questions about my trade in. The most important being, am I supposed to have a title for this thing? Answer: Yes. Poop.


Many moons ago when I was still boarding and being frustrated about only being able to show where my trainer wanted to go (if she wanted to go) I decided I should get a trailer. My dad, who really was not a big fan of said trainer, was totally on board, and even offered to buy it for me. (My dad is awesome. He also assisted in my purchasing my house and getting my mortgage because he would do ANYTHING for me to not board there anymore... But I digress.) Since my dad technically owned my trailer, he too would have the title. And if not, he needs to be the one to obtain a new one from the DMV. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but he was in meetings the rest of last week and unable to go check the safe deposit box and/or go to the DMV. And now he's in South Africa for two weeks on a super fun vacation. So this confession is that I can't pick up my new trailer for awhile, and I totally should have asked that question months ago. My bad. But hey, at least I didn't wait until I got there with trailer in tow to have to turn around and leave... Right?
On the bright side, this has allowed me plenty of time to clean out Tina the Trailer before she leaves me for her new home. I tackled the tack room on Saturday:

This was after the first load was removed. I also keep a wheelbarrow up there
I decided to schlep everything into the barn before neatly tucking it away in an empty stall. I also had gone to Walmart earlier in the day and gotten a few tubs to store anything I was concerned might get chewed on by the F*&(#$ing rat I haven't killed yet that's in my barn. (That's a story for a different day.) After many loads like this:
I got everything into the barn aisle for inspection and (mental) cataloging. It was actually nice to see what I still have, what I need to replace, etc. Not that I'm in any hurry since showing is likely not in my immediate future. But still, a good chance to take inventory.
So much stuff. Holy crap. I was disappointed to realize what bad shape my show blankets are in. They all seem to have some holes and/or are either stained or faded unevenly. But then I stopped and really thought about it. Those blankets are all at minimum 12 years old. And most of them were everyday blankets when I was a boarder. I guess they don't owe me anything. Next show pony will be getting some new clothes!
Another kind of surprising thing was that all of my show girths are so small! Jampy was quite lean when he was a show horse. There was one that was labeled a 51" (weird right?) which I think was Rio's but all the rest were 48" and smaller. Another thing I won't have to worry about until I have a show horse again, as who knows what size he will be.
The only real casualty was Jampy's show bonnet from when he used to be a jumper.

Pictred is a said bonnet, and a girth that would never fit him now.
It seems a little critter chewed the ears up and ate off some of the scallops on the bottom. Just one more thing to add to the if I get a jumper again list.

After a few hours work, everything was organized and stacked away neatly.
And Tina the Trailer has an empty tack room:

But the real confession here? I was SO SORE for like two days after this. So much schlepping! Clearly, I need to get back to working out more.

Anything you need to confess today? Trouble with rodents where you are? When was the last time you fully emptied your trailer out?

14 comments:

  1. I’m going through my tack truck and all the crap I’ve accumulated from being at my barn for 11 yeas. So much stuff!! Most got tossed but there’s a healthy for sale pile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the bottom of the tack trunk is always good for a few nasty surprises...

      Delete
  2. The last time I fully emptied my trailer out was a few years ago when the roof was getting replaced after a seriously bad hailstorm -- I still haven't recovered 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say, I have never until this weekend taken everything out of there!

      Delete
  3. I don't have a trailer, but I DO have a large tack box in my garage and an entire area of the basement dedicated to storing my horsey items and... it probably needs (another) cleanout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That trailer must be a Mary Poppin's bag of some sort

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the most logical explanation I can come up with for all that fitting inside neatly!

      Delete
  5. Titles are the most annoying things ever. I thought I had mine to trade in my truck, but noooo, that was apparently a fake title. And of course my loan company from a billion years ago had been bought out. It took me forever to get the appropriate title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Who's bright idea was it to trust us with such an important piece of paper? Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure I ever even got one for my truck... I must have though right? Hm...

      Delete
  6. We have a car my husband can't find the title for. It has been sitting for TWO years since we bought a new car. It's not worth anything; I'm just sick and tired of it. As for rodents, the shop found a rat's nest in the truck's engine department when it was in to have the starter fixed. So that was fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you need the title to donate it? Probably. You need that stupid paper for everything. Sell it to some shady character for scrap maybe?
      OMG. You had rats in your TRUCK engine?! That's awful. I really hate them. I made it ten years with this barn before I ever had a rat. I'm so disgusted.

      Delete