Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Truthful Tuesday: The one in which I whine. A lot.

 


I always feel a little angsty as we approach moving day for the horses. And that goes both ways; be it moving home or moving away. There's just always a lot to organize and whatnot. But the universe seems to find great pleasure in making moving time exponentially more angsty. Remember last year when I brought my truck in for service a month before moving day and then the whole thing was eaten by mice and I didn't get it back in time? And had to use insurance to pay for the repairs because it cost more than Shiny did? That was something! 

So this year, I made sure to drive the truck all winter. With regularity. And when I wasn't driving it as much I made certain to drive it every Sunday. (Some people go to church, I drive my truck.) Trucky had maybe three weeks in a row where I didn't drive it because I actually just forgot one of the Sundays and then was away on vacation for two of the following. I had it scheduled to go in for a recall and an oil change this Monday though, so Sunday I made sure to hop in there to take it for a ride. Well. It was dead. D-E-A-D DEAD! 

I'm talking once I was in it, it used up the last little bit of juice to tell me it couldn't start and then I couldn't even lock the doors. So very dead. Fortunately, I just recently renewed my USRiders insurance so I got that bad boy towed in at no cost. Which... thanks for that because I do have to pay to actually fix it. Fortunately though, it's just a couple of batteries and a fuel filter that appear to be the problems. Oh yeah, and there are definitely mice in there again. F-ers. Those things plus the oil change? Just under 2 grand. Sigh. Could be worse though. So I'm thinking all good, ready to finish getting things ready for the horses! Only I get home from the barn tonight to a bit of an odor in the house. I go sniffing about, unsure of the source. Until I reach the laundry room which is where my door to the basement is located. Ohhh. I know that smell. That's oil. Excellent. Yep. My oil tank is leaking. Thankfully, the oil guys were able to come over pretty quickly to put a patch on it. Of course, that's temporary and I'll need a new tank. You can double the truck bill for that... 

I still need to order grain and shavings before the horses get here, but at least I got the hay a couple weeks ago. (That was about the price of the oil tank but will last me the whole season.) So yeah. I'm feeling the angst. Feeling it hard. Gonna have to find me some braiding jobs asap. Or perhaps I can sell some body parts? My organs mostly function pretty well. I bet I could do something with those. In the meantime, once the horses are here, I'm hoping to get some extraneous stuff listed for sale. That could hopefully help my find some cash AND get rid of a bunch of stuff taking up space. 

Anyone else seem to have tons of extra bills every spring? Or is it just my stuff that all breaks this time of year?

This is just a little extra twist of the knife by the universe.
My washer took a bite out of my Anatomeq pad. Couldn't
have eaten a cheaper pad could it? Oh no. Gotta be the nice one.


8 comments:

  1. It always comes in waves. It can definitely be overwhelming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always! But also as always, we'll get through it.

      Delete
  2. Ugh that is a lot to have happen at once! Whine away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I should be better prepared for the wave of broken everything come April. But it's always an unpleasant surprise.

      Delete
  3. i'm the worst at keeping my trucks running regularly in the winter --- legit just killed a battery two weeks ago too, tho a simple jump was enough to get it back on the road. good luck with everything else too. that's particularly tragic about the nice saddle pad --- tho, you could avoid that fate altogether by being more like me and only ever doing horse laundry absolutely rarely lolololol (haha for real tho don't be like me...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I mean, it's easy to let a truck sit sometimes... Especially when it STINKS like mine did from the rodents...
      And uh... the laundry was actually going to be my confession this week. I haven't done horse laundry in months! I just have a lot of saddle pads and boots and so it's piled up. This was my first load in forever. The ripped pad is my punishment for being a slacker I think. The universe gets you back every time!

      Delete
  4. I feel like this month in particular has been especially dreadful in all ways 🫠

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has, hasn't it? April is supposed to be my favorite month because it's my birthday month... But I think it's getting demoted.

      Delete