Wednesday, December 19, 2018

What's Up Wednesday

This was an overly equine-centric week unfortunately. But it was full of fun and family time, so that's something right? And not to worry, everyone got adequate grooming and fed regularly, so the needs were met.
You already know that instead of horsing on Wednesday I went to Hamilton, and it was awesome. Definitely see it if you can.
Especially if you can find seats like this (for free):
Thursday I had a lesson with Eros, and it was a private so we got to try jumping some bigger fences. It's interesting how they do lessons at this barn, you just sign up when you want to ride each week, so sometimes you'll have other people join you, and sometimes not. This week it was just me, and it was great to have all the attention for the whole lesson. And it was really fun to jump some bigger sticks too! Don't get too excited, it wasn't anything huge! But some of the jumps were up to 3', which is a big deal for us right now!
somehow that in and out looked much bigger in person. Eros was unimpressed, but happy to oblige.
He still can get pretty strong, so we're going to start playing around with bits. He's tricky though, in that he does NOT like metal in his mouth. Which would be fine, as there are plenty of happy mouth options that offer leverage (like a two or three ring), but the problem there is that he can't show in any of those unless we turn him into a jumper. I just ordered a ribbed happy mouth, so hopefully that little extra will do the trick... But I'm open to suggestions if you know of anything rubber or plastic that's hunter legal, and offers a little more than a Dr. Bristol D bit.

Friday I had a half day at work, trying to use up some of my remaining time off. I'm literally throwing away seven full days, because I didn't realize I got an extra week when my anniversary happened. They don't let us roll them over. Boo.
Anyway I digress... I didn't take the whole day off because it was ugly sweater and cookie swap day. If you know me at all, you know I love a good chance to dress like an idiot and cookies. Clearly, not the day to take off totally!
I finally won the contest this year too! Which was a $25 gift card to the grocery store. Womp womp. I know you're dying to know what I wore, so here it is, in all it's glory hideousness:
I know. I was impressed too. I've already started planning for next year.
I know you're wondering about the cookies too. I filled my bucket, and most of them are already gone. Don't be jealous.

I was hoping to ride early on Friday given the half day and all, but Eros finally got his hocks done that morning, so he had the day off. Instead, I headed home after work and groomed the bay boys. Then I went over to Eros and stuffed him full of cookies. He was happy with that arrangement.

And then I ran home to shower and change for my company's holiday party. (No rest for the weary.) They had it at a country club about 15 minutes from me, so that was nice. It was a great evening! The food was incredible, and the DJ was fantastic too. Played a great mix of songs and not too much xmas music. And the best part was it ended at 10 so I was home at a reasonable hour. (Shut up, I'm old.)

Saturday I had a big job ahead of me. We were having our Chanukah party with my mom, brother, sister-in-law and nieces that night. I had bought everyone a bunch of little gifts this year, rather than something big and expensive. Which sounds great in theory, until you have to wrap all of those things. And I hadn't wrapped a single one. NOT ONE. Oye. So I got up and started wrapping. The plan was to wrap until 11 and then get dressed to go to the post office and do horse things for a few hours. Best laid plans and all as you know I missed the post office. Anyway, I took Eros for a lovely handwalk and groomed the boys lightly at home before returning to wrapping. I did manage to get it all done though!
You'll notice there was not a single bow to be seen. Ain't nobody got time for THAT. I had thought I had a ton of gift bags which would have made wrapping a lot easier and faster, but turns out, I gifted them all last year. Oops. I shall have to restock for next year.
Anyway, I got the wrapping done with just enough time to feed the four leggeds and get changed. We all had a delicious dinner at my mom's house, complete with enough latka's for 70 people (I ate most of them I think) and a pretty decent cookie spread too:
And then it was time to attack our piles of presents...
The kids loved their gifts which made me really happy.

My brother did too, you can see him in the background of the last photo already playing with one of them.

I got lots of great gifts from my family, but my favorite is probably the insulated wine bag, complete with a bottle of Rose, from my mom. I forgot to snap a pic, but it's unicorn color (irridescent blues and purples... kind of like the bits) and full of actual Rose awesome. My family really gets me.

Sunday morning, I felt a little relieved to have all that wrapping done. I still have to wrap all the gifts for the other part of the family (Dad, stepmom, step grandma, and little brother) but that will get done. (Hopefully.) Anyway, I left the house around nine to run a few errands, and followed that up with a hand walk for Eros, and some mega groomies for the bay boys. I had just enough time after that to shower and feed before heading back to the boarding barn for a graduation party for one of the barn workers. She just finished nursing school, and we all pitched in to get her a new show jacket. I indulged in more terrible for me, yet delicious, food and cookies. I had to go out and buy vegetables last night before my body just quit altogether.  Anyway, was home at a reasonable hour from that and did a few things around the house.

enjoy this photo of Rio hanging out in the small paddock to break up the text wall.
 Monday after work and pony grooming, I attempted to straighten up the house and clean up the mess I had made over the weekend. It was an impressive mess, and I have to be honest and say I barely made a dent in it. 'Tis the season for a messy house folks!

Last night I finally got to ride Eros again, and he felt pretty great! I did somehow manage to hurt myself getting on though... (This is when you know you're old.) I was attempting to climb onto the mounting block from the ground onto the top step because someone had a very nice wool cooler covering the other steps. I've done this before with no issue, but I'm guess it was the 20 degree weather that caused my problem. As I bounced up off my left foot, I felt a pop in my knee. It's not especially painful, but it's weak and going down stairs is tricky. Also, no go on full straightening, but who needs that anyway? I was able to get on no problem though, and it only hurt a little at the canter. So hopefully it's nothing, but at the very least, it seems to be fine with riding for the most part. Anyone have experience with knee injuries? Feel free to offer advice on how to heal whatever this is.

The pugs had a nice week. They enjoyed hanging with me while I wrapped all the presents all day on Saturday. They did not so much enjoy their Chanukah presents though.

Yes, you're seeing that right! I found dog blankets that match my horses' show blankets perfectly! These two really hate clothes, but too bad so sad, because this is ADORABLE!

I guess that's it! It was a busy week filled with not enough horse time, but that's how it goes sometimes. This week should be more horsey, and then next week it's off to Florida again! (Not sure where the time goes. I really need to pack and get the horses' meals made up.)

How was your week? Have you been busy with holiday stuff? Get any rides/lessons/shows in? Tell me what's up with you this Wednesday in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. ugh that sucks about not being able to roll over your vacation time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. um all those bows on your costume you could have used on the presents! MULTI TASK WOMAN LOL! HA HA HA

    i get exhausted reading your week. Mine is so boring it is not funny and i am tired doing it ;) And sucks on the rollover time not being able to be rolled over. :(
    my dogs love clothes. Send me those doggie blankets they would look great on Gretch and Ollie if the pugs don't appreciate ha1 :)

    I am right now stressing as my horses are still standing in the paddock being spooky NOT EATING WTF. Hours have gone by now. UGH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean... don't take this the wrong way... but I'm pretty sure both of your horses will be okay if they miss a meal ;) Hope they get over that invisible monster soon!

      Delete
  3. Those dog blankets are ADORBS. And I'd say I really want cookies, but is it possible to not want them anymore because I've already eaten so many this month? I feel like a quitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you just need a cookie detox day. Eat some vegetables. You'll be back on your game in no time!
      I know, because the same thing happened to me. I may or may not have diabetes now.

      Delete
  4. the dog blankets are too cute. I bought my aussie a blanket that matches my wool coat, but he's also not a fan of wearing clothes.

    as far as bit suggestions go, I don't have anything rubber that I personally recommend, but in the past when I had a horse that was tricky I contacted The Horse Bit Shop and they asked several questions about my horse and any problems I was having, and then recommended a bit. The bit ended up being a magical fix for my horse at the time, and they were wonderful as far as customer service goes, so I will definitely use them again in the future. Plus they carry a lot of the nicer bit brands that aren't carried in a lot of stores here in the US.

    https://www.thehorsebitshop.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh THANK YOU!!! I will definitely reach out to them if this ribbed one isn't magical!

      Delete
  5. Love that ugly sweater outfit! Glad you won haah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! If I didn't win with this monstrosity I might have had to throw in the towel!

      Delete