Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Truthful Tuesday

You know, some things you should just KNOW. Like you shouldn't even consider doing them. For example, getting a lobster roll at a burger joint. It's a BURGER JOINT! Get a burger. For crying out loud. But I'm a New Englander (despite my New Yorker breeding) and I just can't resist the opportunity to stuff lobster in my face. Just can't do it.
While I was in VT, I was staying at the base of Stratton Mountain with some friends. They had dinner plans one evening so I was on my own to forage for sustenance. I decided on a new burger joint that's just down the road. It's actually an old gas station. Such a neat venue!

Photo borrowed their Facebook page...
You guys. This place was a little weird. The menu looked great, and the staff seemed friendly enough. But I was halfway through placing my order when the girl taking my order started talking to her co-worker and asked her to take over so she could finish the dishes... It was bizarre! All that was left was my beverage! So odd. Anyway, the food came out quick, and I ate inside since it was threatening to storm outdoors. I decided, against my better judgement, to get the lobster roll. As you may have guessed from above.

Looks awesome right? Maybe a bit sparse with meat, but looks pretty good. This thing though, it was having an identity crisis. For those of you who aren't from New England, I shall give a quick info session on lobster rolls. The best ones are hot, on a toasted long roll and heavily buttered. (HEAVILY!) You can also have a lobster salad roll which is made with mayo rather than butter and is cold. This lobster roll? It was some kind of hybrid. It had celery in it and hint of a citrus flavor. The roll was toasted and buttery, but the lobster was cold. It was odd. It wasn't like I couldn't eat it, so it wasn't THAT bad. And it didn't kill me or anything, so that part was good. But it was just odd. I liked the venue though, and I would definitely go back and have a burger. And order really fast so I didn't have to wait to awkwardly get a second person to finish taking my order.
Moral of today's story? Don't order a lobster roll from a burger joint. You're welcome.

8 comments:

  1. It looks so good in the photo! I bet if it was hot/warm that would have gone a long way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. If the lobster had been warm it would have been delicious.

      Delete
  2. So Johnny and I have this fantasy trip where we drive through New England and eat...I will file this lobster roll advice away for that trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really a good plan! You should do that. And when you get to CT, I will join you!

      Delete
  3. gosh you are making me hungry for a lobster roll now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Sorry about that. I totally want one too! A good one though... not this one.

      Delete
  4. I really though that story was going to go a different direction. Especially with the gas station burger joint. Oh man, I think part of why I want to move to Maine is the lobster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes it definitely could have been a whole lot worse. Thankfully no one died. I love New England lobster! Though I think the Maine winters would kill me. CT is a good compromise.

      Delete