Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Truthful Tuesday: the one about Badger

I get asked a lot about Badger. What he's doing. Why I don't have him at home. Why I don't show him. Etc, etc. I'm not going to answer all of those questions just yet. But I'll talk about our plan.
Badger, as I type this, is on a trailer heading up to CT from Florida. He's enjoying a nice box stall since it's so hot. I've been getting updates from every stop along the way, with some adorable photos.


He's not coming home to my barn though. Instead he's heading to the barn of a trainer I know. She does a lot of horse sales (no, she's not a "dealer") and has her own successful boarding and training business as well.
I'm at a point where I really need a horse to ride. I love grooming and hanging with Rio and Jampy, but this not riding most of the summer thing is killing me slowly. Kind of literally because lazy over here hasn't been running either. Anyway, I need to sell Badger to get a new horse. So sending him to trainer B is the best option right now. He's not even up here, and she has four very respectable, good horseman already lined up to see him.
So why am I selling the fanciest horse I've probably ever had (also will ever have)? There are a few reasons. But the main one is that I don't ride him very well. Could I learn to? Sure, in time, I'm sure we could get to know each other. But Badger is an athletic, slightly opinionated horse, and I don't think that's the smartest ride for me to have when I ride by myself at my house.
Sometimes it's hard to step back and realize that what you WANT and what you NEED are two different things. And that's really the main issue here. Do I WANT a really fancy derby horse that's buckskin? OMG YES. SO MUCH. Can I ride that? Not really. Not right now. So what do I need?
I need a steady eddy. Does he need to be a dead head? No. I'm a decent rider. I can handle some shenanigans here and there. But I need one that will give me some warning if shenanigans are about to ensue. And I need one that I can toss on a lunge line if those shenanigans are going to be particularly rowdy. At the end of the day, this just wasn't the right match for me right now. Could it be down the road? Maybe. But I'm not in a position to wait until I get down that road to make this relationship work. And so, Badger is on the hunt for HIS perfect human. I'm pretty confident he'll find her (or him). He's really going well right now, and he's just so darn cute.
Here's a video they sent up to me from Florida a couple weeks ago.
I know. Watching that video, I want him too!
So. Do I worry about what might happen to him? Sure, a little. But he's nice enough, he's going to end up in some good hands. Trainer B works with reputable professionals. And that horse is smart enough to keep himself safe. Do I feel like a terrible person for not keeping this horse forever and ever? Nope. I know some people think that you should keep every horse that ever falls into your ownership. But I don't think that's reasonable for most people. It's certainly not for me. I'll do my best to make sure that he ends up in a good place. And I'll try and keep track of him if he changes hands again. I will, to the best of my ability, make sure he has a soft landing down the road should he need one. But for now, we both need to move on.

10 comments:

  1. He is super cute but I think you are making a smart decision. I'm sure he will find his perfect human in no time (because omg he's gorgeous) and you can get a wonderful steady eddy type. I have so much fun when I ride Mystic (the only real steady eddy in the herd) that I giggle like a 7 year old on her first pony half of the time - that's the whole idea of the equestrian thing I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree with all of that! I hope I can find a Mystic of mine own soon!

      Delete
  2. He's so pretty, but I totally get the decision. And I am not one of those people who thinks you need to own a horse for life. I'm sure he'll sell quickly with how nice he looks. I look forward to you getting another horse you can ride and show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree with you. Not every horse/rider are meant to be together forever.
      I look forward to that too!

      Delete
  3. Never feel bad about not keeping a horse. Badger is a dreamboat, totally get that, but a pretty face is not enough! (Like I literally dated a guy who was an Abercrombie Model, so attractive but not the kind to keep around forever). I'm sure he's in capable hands now too lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! He's the perfect one for someone I'm sure. Just not me.
      Also, nice work with that Abercrombie model. I went to college with one, and he was very pretty.

      Delete
  4. There’s never anything wrong in saying “This horse isn’t for me”. I’m sure Badger will find a great home and you’ll find your perfect pony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree completely, and hope he finds that perfect home (preferably soon...)

      Delete
  5. Gotta do what's right for you, and your commitment to finding him a good home is (in my very humble opinion) the best thing you can do for him <3 I made the same choice with my previous horse, with much more angst than you I might add, and it's been SO GOOD for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I know you struggled with making the same call for Miles, and it seems to have worked out perfectly for the both of you! I'm hoping for similar results :)

      Delete