Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Truthful Tuesday: the one with some feels and blurry old screen shots

I made a pretty silly mistake over the last week/weekend. With my new found spare time, I decided to start converting my old riding videos into digital files. This seems like a great idea on the surface. And it was pretty fun to watch my very first horse show.
 Although, I didn't realize how terrible VHS quality was at the time! Holy grainy batman!
So why was it a bad plan? Because I can't ride. Watching old videos of Rio flying around the 1.2m A/O's,
 and my old junior hunter Bud doing his thing at Devon, and even Cosmo throwing his legs around in the adult jumpers,
 REALLY made me miss showing. This is the start of year number 3 without a show on the schedule. I was coping ok with that the last couple of years. I mean I didn't LOVE it.  But I was still riding and jumping around at home. So it was ok.
But now? Now that I haven't swung a leg over a horse in almost three weeks, it was super depressing. Then I start to feel guilty about feeling all woe is me because I can't ride when my horse was suffering through a painful bout with laminitis. Selfish much?

 On the bright side, Jampy is looking great! I'm super frustrated because I need to see the x-rays before we can move forward with things like figuring out his new diet, and if/when he can have turn out again. I just finally heard back from the local vet that he can't come until NEXT THURSDAY! Unacceptable. So I'm trying to see if the less local vet can get here sooner. The horse needs to get out. He's been such a good patient, but he's really bored, and not super happy with life right now. Not to mention, I'm still icing his legs regularly, which means I haven't had more than a six hour night sleep in close to three weeks. I'm also not sure how much longer I can get away with taking an hour and a half lunch away from work.
See? I told you there were some feels. Nostalgia, envy, disappointment, frustration. UGH. Fortunately, there's also some happy and relief that Jampy is feeling a lot better. And in time, I'll get to ride again. A good friend offered to let me sit on her horse this weekend, so hopefully we'll make that happen. In the meantime, I'll be hanging out with my old men waiting for the vet to come out.

13 comments:

  1. Aww lil baby Stacie! I can totally understand why you're bummed, I hope you're able to get back in the saddle soon. It's a bit different but Apollo had lameness issues when my young horses were not broke yet and I was so freakin grumpy (I was like OMG I'M SO HAPPY TO BE PAYING BOARD ON THREE HORSES BUT I HAVE NO HORSE TO RIDE, THIS IS GREAT). I hope you can get xrays soon *fingers crossed* and Mr. J is 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes! That's completely the same thing! So much money flying out of the wallet and NO RIDING!
      Other vet is coming out Tuesday, so still a whole week away but a little better.

      Delete
  2. I think your feelings are totally normal. I would not be coping at all if I was in your shoes! Hopefully you can get a vet out asap for Jamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Probably the lack of sleep doesn't help the feels. Vet is scheduled for Tuesday, so that's a couple of days better at least.

      Delete
  3. Oh man. I feel for you, a lot. I do not think you should feel guilty over being bummed at being sidelined- I would too! I really hope you can get a vet out sooner, poor guy. Hoping for a positive update soon!

    p.s. That's so cool you showed at Devon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have the other vet scheduled for Tuesday so that's a bit better.
      Devon was a fun experience! I hope someday to get back there!

      Delete
  4. so glad he is feeling better and i wish you were closer for sure :) I would let you ride Remus (tho he is ahem not as fancy as your Devon horse :)) HA HA. I hope you get a vet to come sooner JUST SO YOU CAN GET MORE THAN 6 hours of sleep. OMG I would be a zombie :) Fingers crossed he continues to improve ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Total Zombie! I think maybe I wouldn't be so grumpy if I was at least well rested.
      My devon horse was an appendix quarter horse! Imagine that?

      Delete
    2. I KNEW you had good taste :)

      Delete
  5. Sending lots of hugs your way -- sometimes you just need a moment to wallow. And then after you eat a pint of ice cream and an entire large pizza you pick yourself back up and see the bright side <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point... I gotta pick up some ice cream tonight!

      Delete
  6. Come visit me! I will make you ride Dante :D

    ReplyDelete