Wednesday, November 22, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 

We are getting into a groove over at the winter home, and I got to lesson on everyone this past week. Only once each since the clinic was happening both weekend days, but I'll take it! 

We talked about Al's lesson last week already since it was on Wednesday. But we had another today, with one of the juniors. Her mom was there to watch and she was so sweet and videoed all my jumps too. Barn moms are the best moms. I haven't had a chance to make clips yet, so no video to share but I have some grainy screen shots at least. 

Al started the lesson being Al. He was spooking at pretty much life in general, but for whatever reason (which I really need to figure out) I was had my big girl pants on and just rode him through it. It wasn't easy. He was making me work ridiculously hard. But I did it, and I'm very proud of myself. If only I could do that every ride. Maybe he'd get better? 

(Side note: I ride with my physical therapist and we were chatting the other day about things that are a hinderance to our confidence. And I mentioned that my knee makes me more anxious because I worry that I'll do more damage if they spook and it wobbles like sometimes happens. She reassured me that since it is in fact ruptured I can't damage it anymore. She said unless I fall off, things like that won't cause any more damage to it. So that did give me a little more bravery anyway.)

Okay, back to the lesson. I just barely survived the flat portion because Al was really making me work for it today. But that's okay. Next came the jumping. 

Spoiler alert: we jumped at the scary end!

The course was still set from the clinic, so the outside lines were up against the rail. Which I think worked in my favor for jumping toward the scary end. Al's afraid of the doors in the center of that short side, so jumping against the rail meant we were facing into the corner and not so much at the doors themselves. So that was nice. Trainer wanted us working on the add stride today, and the courses were very basic. The junior riding with me is currently working on keeping all the strides the same length in the lines, so the add stride made that extra tricky for her. For Al and I, just jumping around the full ring is a pretty big challenge, so we don't really need super hard courses at the moment. Plus he was so behind the leg today, the add stride was pretty welcomed for me. I know Al has plenty of stride (when he feels like it...) so I'm not worried that I can't make the correct numbers. 

While I had to work pretty hard to keep Al moving throughout the course, I was pretty happy with our ride today. We used the entire ring, and I didn't have trainer get on and do it first. I did it all myself. Like a big girl. With big girl panties. The jumps stayed on the smaller side, but like the distances, I know Al can jump a big fence. Sometimes that's not the most important part of a lesson. Actually USUALLY that's not the most important part. 

I hope you enjoyed these blurry screen shots from our lesson today, because unfortunately, Eros and Shiny have lessons early in the day when no one is around to video for us. So I have pretty much no media for the rest of this post... Sorry! Enjoy the wall of text to come! 

Eros was my first lesson on Thursday. I was in a group with two other adults who are super fun ladies. One of them has a horse in his mid teens who has the same sire as Al. And he can be a bit Al like too... But at his age, he's starting to settle down. The other horse in the class is an older gentleman who actually belonged to a friend of mine before his current owners. The horse world is so small. Anyway, we're all in the same place fence height wise, meaning we max out around 2'3 with these horses. Eros CAN jump a little higher, but he doesn't need to all the time. So it's a great group for us. The only tricky part about morning lessons is that we're trying to lesson while head trainer and assistant trainer are doing their training rides. So it's kinda busy. Sometimes we have to circle mid course and what not. That's just how it is when it's winter and we're all stuck indoors. I have a hard time in traffic because I worry about where everyone is all the time and don't focus enough on what I'm actually trying to do. But despite all that, I had a great lesson. Eros mostly kept a lid on the zoomies and with his freshly injected hocks we had no trouble getting the correct number of strides this week. 

Shiny's lesson was right after Eros'. We had a private which was perfect since she's just kind of getting back into a groove. Also, it had warmed up enough that training rides went outside, so we had the indoor to ourselves. She's feeling great after her maintenance. (PLUS, our favorite body worker was out later that day, so now she's feeling even more extra great.) Anyway, we did some flatwork that really pointed out where she's weak, and I felt the same things carry over when we were jumping. This was really useful information for me, so we have some homework to get her stronger behind. I don't think there's any real problem, I just think she needs more muscle. 

We moved on to jumping, but we kept things small. I felt like she was ready to jump bigger, but she was also a wee bit spicy, and I had a feeling that if we put the jumps up we might also be turning up the sass. So, we stuck to cross rail courses for this lesson. She was happy to be jumping for sure, and after the first four fences of each course, she really started to take me to them. Once she starts taking me to the jumps, she becomes much more adjustable and it feels like we could do pretty much anything- move up, wait, roll backs. Whatever. I just wish I could get her there sooner in the course. She's just such an opinionated mare, you have to kind of make it her idea. And I have to figure out how to make that happen sooner. I think a stronger hind end will help though. Time will tell. 

On our ride today I reintroduced collected canter to Shiny. It's something I've been avoiding when I knew she needed some vet work because I knew it was very hard for her. But now that she's feeling good, it's time to bring it back. And it's still hard for her, but she did it! Both directions! Not only did she do it, but she was able to lengthen both into and out of the collected canter. It was hard to get her collected from the lengthen, of course, but once she really understood what I was asking, she was right there for it. She's really smart. It's just the opinions that sometimes get in our way. Thankfully, she kept those in check today.

In non riding news, it's been fun back at the boarding barn so far. They have a kind of happy hour on Fridays which I don't always attend, but we've had some birthdays to celebrate so I do try to show up for those. And yesterday we did a barn Thanksgiving potluck which was really fun. So it's nice to have a kind of social life lately. 

So that's pretty much the rundown on this week. Things are going well, and I'm happy with how the horses are going. How are things with all of you and your horses? Getting lessons in this time of year? 


4 comments:

  1. oooh yay for pictures!! and yay for being brave about the scary end!! whatever it takes, amirite!! happy thanksgiving ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blurry photos are definitely better than no photos! And yes. Riding is so hard, whatever makes it less hard is the way to go!

      Delete
  2. You guys look so good! I'm so happy for you for getting out there and getting it done despite the knee. Your PT is right. My mom hurt her knee about a decade ago and babied it ever since, but started CrossFit last year and has slowly started pushing it. She never thought she'd jump again (on her own two feet, not horses) but is up to a standing jump of 10" now! Sometimes you just need the rubber stamp of a pro to be like "Yes it's safe to push myself in this way."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It feels good to have one less thing to worry about. But, well, the joke was on me, because when I hopped off after my lesson Sunday it popped again, and is pretty mad at me. BUT at least I know that despite it hurting now, it's not any worse than before, so I can keep on keeping on. I probably will have to fix it at some point though.

      Delete