Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Truthful Tuesday

 


You all know that I can braid a hunter mane fairly well. I'm not as good as the real pro braiders out there, but I can hold my own, and your horses won't feel embarrassed by my twisting skills. But I never actually learned how to do jumper braids. A photographer friend of mine asked if I could do them to help her out on a project, and so I had some motivation to finally learn. And I'm here to tell you... I'm not very good yet. I've only tried once so far, and it wasn't AWFUL. But it wasn't good. Here they are:


I tried the rolling method and used bands for this attempt. I'm going to try again soon but with yarn this time. I think I'll have better control sewing them in than I did trying to use the rubber bands. I broke so many! I know a lot of you eventing and dressage riding friends do these types of braids, so if you have any advice, please throw it my way! Do you use bands? Yarn? Something else? 


6 comments:

  1. What is difference btwn hunter and jumper braids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hunter braids are much smaller, so there's a lot more of them. And instead of bands, you use yarn and sew them in place. They're a little bit different shape too.

      Delete
  2. No advice, I roached Ruby's mane to avoid having to braid it for the show, and swapped photos for a barnmate braiding her forelock lol. I used to do a tolerable running braid but definitely nothing show quality like what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make the braids bigger! You should have half as many braids as you have now. Also, try the folding method. Fold the braid in half. Then ,fold in half again. Finally, do the rubber band around it.

    Emma (I'm blanking on her last name...Ford?) used to groom for Phillip Dutton and has a great youtube video on doing button braids.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched so many videos! I'll see if I can find that one.
      I actually did try the folding method, but they looked even worse. I think part of my struggle is that Eros has enough mane for seven horses and he won't let me pull it. So it's thick and blunt ended. Not ideal. I will try making them bigger though for sure! Thanks for the hints!

      Delete