Wednesday, February 13, 2019

What's Up Wednesday

It was a relatively quiet weekend around here again. No complaints from me though, I like quiet! Saturday morning my helper was off, so I did the barn and gave the boys some mega groomies. Then headed over to walk-trot Eros. It was ridiculously windy so the indoor was noisy, and he was a bit of a turkey. Nothing like what Jamp can do though. Thankfully.
Sunday my helper was back, and I wanted to get to Eros before IEA lessons (that's a ZOO!) so I was on him in the morning for his light work. It was warmer and no wind, so he was his usual angelic self. Still a bit off, but certainly better than he was when I first got home from Florida. Baby steps I guess.
 I spent the rest of the afternoon in the barn at home. The boys got a little attention, and then I went to work on some organizing. I always kept my extra girths on an empty saddle rack but I use the fluffy girths you can throw in the washer, so that wasn't really the best plan. Any time a mouse finds it's way into the barn, that's where they like to go. I hadn't been through the pile in awhile (there are a lot of teeny girths in there from Romey and way back when I had Mow the medium pony) and it was pretty gross. So anything salvageable went in the wash, and I tossed what was ready to retire. I'm going to store them in a tub from now on. I also went through some of the show stuff that normally lives in the trailer. I had brought everything into the barn last year when I traded in my trailer, but I still haven't gotten around to putting it back. I wanted to inventory what was there, so if and when I ever show again, I'll know what I might need.
Also, I have these blankets I bought that I thought were more green than they are. They're a denim blue, so not really my jam. I forgot all about them, so it's too late to return them. They're from Horze, 100 gram blankets, size 81. There are two of them. If anyone's interested, I'm asking $55. I paid around $60, but just want them to find a home. I'd sell both for $100.


These are still brand new in the package, but it's this one if you want to see it out of the wrapping:
https://www.horze.com/stable-rugs/horze-nevada-lightweight-midseason-stable-blanket---100g/24405.html?color=BL
Sunday night I spent watching the Grammy's with the pugs and rolling all the wraps. So many wraps. Why do I have so many wraps?
Monday was the big day for Eros! I worked a half day, and then headed over to the barn to meet the vet. Our plan was to finally try and diagnose that right front leg once and for all. We knew there was something not quite right ever since the pre purchase, but it was a bit of mystery. He flexes like he should have navicular problems, but the x-rays are perfect. We did some flat work so doc could watch him move, and then proceeded with some flexions where we saw the same thing as before. The next step was to do some blocking to see if he would be sound when the area was numb. He was improved with the block so we moved on to ultra sound. What we found was that he has some inflammation of one of his ligaments that connect around that navicular area. Forgive my lack of veterinary terms because it's not one of the usual suspects. Doc even busted out the anatomy book. He says he's never seen one like this before. Lol. My horses, right?
Me, being the jerk I am, had to ask the question. (First I must preface this by saying I was alone with the vet since the barn is closed on Mondays. It was just he and I so I could speak freely. Much my preference.) I asked, could this inflammation be caused by say, having a week off and then being worked really hard, and likely jumped as well? And he said yes absolutely. So my guilt about blaming the staff has been erased, because while the shoeing problem didn't help, it was not the sole cause of this issue we're having. Moving forward, Eros will have time off if neither my step mom nor I can ride him, and I will bring him back to work slowly after said time off.
But I digress... As for fixing this, he's on an anti-inflammatory for awhile to see if we can get that ligament to calm down and shrink back to normal size. There doesn't seem to be any real disruption or tear, so that's good. Doc said lasering it can help, but he thought his were all rented out at the moment. He'll get me one as soon as possible though. We're also going to change the shoe again to one with a wider bar to give a little more support to that area. Hopefully, now that we've found the issue, we can actually get him better than he was before. But I'll settle for what we had when Eros first arrived if that's the best we can do. It's not a quick fix unfortunately, but I do think we'll get him patched up. AND the best part, he can canter again. We're still on light work, so no real WORK, but at least we can trot and canter and get some fitness back. Both of us! I'd like to get back to lessons, but I feel badly that there's only one lesson horse that jumps. I don't want to add to his workload. At the same time though, I have all these lessons that are paid for already. Boarding woes. 
That's about the extent of the horsey news for the past week. Yesterday we had some weather, snow that turned to freezing rain (lovely) so I didn't visit Eros. He didn't have his usual Monday off since the vet came, so I figured that worked out nicely anyway. I'll see him tonight though, and I'm super excited to do some cantering! Kind of... There might be ice coming off the indoor roof, and Turkey Eros might make an appearance.
Geese were into the snow I guess?
 How was your week/weekend? Do anything exciting? Did you get some weather yesterday too? So ready for Spring already!

8 comments:

  1. all that organizing must have felt so so so good (aside from dealing with the mice mess, ugh such pests!!!). and i'm glad you got answers about Eros, even if it means there were some undesirable choices made around his work load while you were away. hopefully the inflammation goes down asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having everything neat and organized! I have a lot of work still to do, but it's getting there.
      I'm hoping the same for Eros! I think the change in shoe should help a lot too.

      Delete
  2. glad he is improving glad you didn't find worse when the vet saw him and glad no one was at barn when you had vet out :)

    I want your barn...that is all :)

    Stay warm SPRING IS COMING I CAN FEEL IT! :) Ps i wish those blankets were in a 78 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm happy about all that too. (And my barn, most days!)
      I dunno... I bet Remus would fit nicely in an 81 now with that belly he's sporting... hahaha! (I KID! Have you seen Eros' belly?!)

      Delete
  3. You are so organized! Eros sounds like he has the equivalent of plantar faciatis (sp?)! I hope that he heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting there with the organization! It used to be perfect all the time, but somewhere along the line it got less so. My house is a whole different story though.. haha!
      You're right! I think it is similar to that! Hopefully we'll have him back to good soon.

      Delete
  4. After my outsourcing fiasco I'm in the sameboat as you, if I can't ride him walker and turnout only, bring back up to speed when I get home. Sometimes things are just easier with less cooks in the kitchen. Hope he's feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I liked having one of the other ammy's just flat him lightly the other time I was gone, but since that's not allowed anymore, vacation it shall be!

      Delete