Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Truthful Tuesday: The one in which I admit I'm a terrible rider

Well. Romey's reluctance to work isn't a quick passing phase I'm afraid. So today I'm admitting that I'm the worst, and somehow cause these horses to shut down completely. It's like Ducky 2.0! I've been talking with trainer and other knowledgeable horse friends, but none of us can figure out what it is that I'm doing to cause this. But if it happens once it's a fluke. Twice, it's obviously something I'm causing. Ugh. Saturday he wouldn't even leave the barn:
Eventually I got him outside where he resisted mounting, first by turning away from the block before I could climb aboard, and then by turning around and attacking me as I put my foot in the stirrup. Such a friendly guy. (eye roll.) Eventually I got on and succeeded in only walking around the ring after much coaxing/arguing.
Don't be fooled by this innocent face.
So like any good horse owner, I've called the vet to rule out pain. He'll be out Friday hopefully. I've experimented some since then with a different bridle. He has TMJ so sometimes he doesn't like the browband pressing on his face. I used Ducky's old western bridle instead which just has one ear, but it didn't make a lick of difference. So I guess that's not the issue. Tonight I'm going to try my saddle that has the wider channel to see if maybe he's uncomfortable in his back from my saddle. He doesn't show any problems when I palpate his back, so I'm not convinced there's a problem there. But I'm willing to try anything to get my horse to, at the very least, pick up a trot.

Saturday evening I stopped at Saks Off Fifth outlet to see if they still had a bag I was pining over (they didn't) and proceeded to make purchases based on my current feelings of inadequacy:
#accurate
Have any of you run into this issue? What did you do to get the horse to move forward? I wear spurs and have tried using the stick, but he just kicks out and throws his head around. I do have some pretty mean western spurs, but I don't really want to go that route. Any suggestions are definitely welcome! Also welcome is someone to say, "please send him to me! I love a challenge and I'll keep him forever!" Seriously, if anyone in blogland wants a pet pony, please email me.

10 comments:

  1. There's a horse in the barn like this. He refuses to go forward, and has threatened to rear. He's awful on the flat but great once he's jumping. Once they get on, they immediately start doing trot poles and lines of ground poles. To get him to canter they use crossrails. He won't pick up the canter unless he jumps first. He's been checked by the vet and chiro, and found nothing. He's just an asshole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling "ass hole" will be our diagnosis as well. If I can get him to walk, I'll have to try some ground poles. Maybe they'll peak his interest.

      Delete
  2. That fancy OTTB we picked up last fall had the same issue, only instead of going completely immobile he'd rear--like hi ho mother fucking silver rears. BM sent him packing to a professional cowboy to break him out of it and get him sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what I'm afraid will happen if I really try to get after him. I've tried minimal getting after him, and he gets pretty angry. I don't want to dump more money into him as far as training and all that. I think I'm looking at finding a low cost retirement place for him. Too bad he's not old and will probably live forever and I'll be paying for his retirement for the next 20 years...

      Delete
  3. you've probably tried this, but what about riding him outside the ring, or even taking him somewhere new to ride? Maybe he's bored and unmotivated? Could he be buddy sour -- maybe bring another horse to the ring with you?

    Final idea: my trainer uses a flag to help get horses "unstuck" — usually when they refuse to move their feet to get on a trailer. But I've had success doing some groundwork with it to get Miles more morticated to move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't tried going outside the ring, though I've thought about it. He's kind of an ass so I'm a little unsure about riding in the yard since I'm alone when I ride. So that's also an issue as far as having another horse out with us. Rio hangs out in his walkout next to the ring sometimes though and that doesn't seem to help.
      The flag could be something to try. He's kind of studdish so when I've tried to free lunge (or actually lunge which he also doesn't do) he will go after the whip/person holding whip. Possible same reaction to a flag, but might be worth a shot!

      Delete
  4. I'd try finding something he wants to do. Maybe a trail ride, maybe go straight to jumping. I dunno. At camp, we would get all these shitty horses at the beginning of the summer and have to make them kid usable within a week. I'd do the one hand on the mane and reins, one hand on a crop. Kick. If no response, immediate giant ass harsh smack with the crop. No middle ground, no tapping, no escalating kicks. It's go or get smacked. Hands on the mane to keep you from punishing them when they jump forward. You do it like twice and the horse figures out maybe I should just go. Sometimes a refresher was needed half way through the summer, but it usually stuck. I was a lot braver then though and prepared to ride out any antics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally can't get him to walk away from the block. It's pretty ridiculous. I have tried with the stick what you're saying. He just kicks out really violently each time I smack him. Sometimes he actually bites at his own chest.
      I think I probably need to grow a pair and try riding him in the yard instead of the ring. It's hard to get bold about that stuff when I'm home alone though.

      Delete