Wednesday, May 5, 2021

What's Up Wednesday

 


You know how we've been in lockdown for over a year and you don't really go or do anything ever? And then all of a sudden you have to go and do all the things all in the same weekend? Yeah. That's who my week was. All good things though!

Empty barn awaiting the ponies!

So most of the week was pretty normal. But Friday was moving home day for Eros and Shiny! Woohoo! I haven't driven the trailer since fall when I dropped them off, so I was feeling a little anxious about all that. Though really that's pretty silly. It's literally 7 miles away, all country roads. The things we stress over (eyeroll). Anyway, I rode everyone at the barn first, then packed up and arrived back home. All went smoothly, thankfully. We did have a brief rain shower right after they were all tucked in. This pretty rainbow was a nice welcome home!


Friday was my birthday, but I had no time for celebrating because I had horses to braid all night! (I told you, everything all at once.) These pretty flowers and cards were waiting for me when I got the horses home though:

And then it was braiding time. I'm a bit rusty since it's been awhile. I had four to do Friday night, and then one for Saturday morning.





After braiding on Saturday, I went to the barn and rode Pammon, then back home to unpack the trailer. I had decided to wait on that since it was getting late Friday, and I still had all those horses to braid. 

Nice to have saddles home again!

I was going back and forth about whether I was going to ride Shiny and Eros on Saturday. I only got about 3 and half hours of sleep the night before, and I wasn't sure how spooky they were going to be. I finally decided to give them each a free lunge and see what I had. BUT. You know how horses are.
I had to drag the ring to find this.

Apparently, in his morning turnout Eros pulled a shoe. So no free lunge for him. And I decided just to free lunge Shiny and groom them both instead of riding. One extra day off won't kill anyone! Shiny wasn't interested in running around, so just picked up some rocks in the ring and some sticks that had blown in (it's been insanely windy here lately) while she meandered around for a bit. They both had a nice grooming and dinner. Next I headed over to my mom's to celebrate my birthday!
I didn't stay too late, since I could hear my bed calling. (It's a lot harder to function on 3 hours of sleep when you're 41. Fact.) But it was really nice to see my family indoors. 

Sunday I had my lesson with Pammon. He's not jumping yet (still waiting on those biopsy results) but we had a good flat lesson, and then did a little course of poles. So it was fun! He was a good boy. 
Once back home I got the ring dragged. It took a little longer than usual since I hadn't done it since the fall. But it came out nice and ready for riding.

Eros still had a missing show, but I wrapped his foot and just rode him very lightly. The neighbor stayed indoors so we were able to have a nice ride. (He got his shoe back on later Sunday evening.) Shiny had a nice, neighborless ride too, though he did come out towards the end and we cut it a little short. (I really can't stand that guy.) 

Monday all the horses had a day off and I got caught up on some paperwork I had been putting off. And the usual house chores, laundry, etc. I want to wash and wax the truck and trailer, but it keeps raining! So I didn't do that Monday like I had hoped. Not really any hurry though. It was a nice relaxing day.


And we were back to work on Tuesday! I rode the two at home, each having a nice flat ride. Funny thing, the neighbor was inside while I rode again, but then all of a sudden as I cantered around the corner past his house, Shiny kind of tucked her butt and tried to run off. (She didn't try that hard, it wasn't a big deal.) I wasn't sure why, but when I looked over, the creeper was out there. He wasn't actually doing anything or making any noise. Just standing on his doorstep looking out toward the road. Shiny just really doesn't trust that dude. It's interesting. I always trust her instincts since she is the least spooky horse I've had in a long time. I let her walk for a minute and regroup and then she went nicely back to work.  


Pammon and I had our lesson Tuesday evening, his first time in that one since the winter. He was great, but I could tell the canter work was tough for him. He again did some pole work too, which he got pretty excited about. 

Nothing too exciting planned for this week. I need to set a course up in the ring, but it keeps raining, so I haven't done it yet. Soon though. Not entirely sure how to set things since I have a horse and a pony jumping now... I'll probably set the horse strides and just have Shiny do the add. Something she needs to practice anyway. 

And that's it from here! How was your week?

6 comments:

  1. That picture makes the lost shoe look a little pink, and at first I thought it was Shiny's and you had pink shoes as part of outfit day and I was going to be SO IMPRESSED lol. Glad the ponies are home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course he pulled a shoe immediately upon getting home... still tho, must feel so good to have them all back under your roof again <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Shiny, don't trust that dude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's very wise. I generally do what she says. Especially as it pertains to that guy!

      Delete